Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Surge

Offline Gatsby Wang

Leatherman Surge
on: November 26, 2023, 09:56:01 PM
Hi, first post here for a generic question, bought a leatherman surge from leatherman.com/intl website, unboxed it and bought some defects on the pliers (in the attached image), just to see whether that is normal for a leatherman surge, or is it a real defect? Maybe I am expecting too much? Thanks

* image001.jpg (Filesize: 106.19 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Leatherman Surge
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 09:59:04 PM
I can't speak for the Surge personally, but I can say that's not typically Leatherman quality.  It looks like a bad casting.  It doesn't look like a functional issue but Leatherman customer service is second to none.  I'd say they'd replace it for you.
Barry

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 10:26:27 PM
 :iagree:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline Gatsby Wang

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 10:58:44 PM
Thanks guys, maybe I am too fussy about a tool, which simply is a tool, not a piece of art. Expecting too much by paying 400 New Zealand dollars for it.
Now have to sort this out with their customer service by sending email after email...:(
But still love Leatherman.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 12:19:25 AM
Let us know what happens when you can  :tu:
Barry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 12:27:42 AM
Thats not suppose to be normal but sadly these kindd things comes normal nowdays. We have seen more and more little things your not suppose to see.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 03:47:47 AM
Welcome to :MTO:  I hope you can get this sorted out by LM :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 10:13:50 AM
Thanks guys, maybe I am too fussy about a tool, which simply is a tool, not a piece of art. Expecting too much by paying 400 New Zealand dollars for it.
Now have to sort this out with their customer service by sending email after email...:(
But still love Leatherman.

Stuff is way too expensive down here.

I wouldn't be bothered trying to get that replaced. Especially if everything else on it is working okay.

Just use it and add your own character to it.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 01:41:08 PM
 :iagree:  and welcome to the forum !

Offline Gatsby Wang

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 05:07:39 AM
Hi, just letting you know that Leatherman in the States has refunded my surge and they could not do replacement for international order.
And I ended up buying another surge from a New Zealand retailer, received it last Friday only to find out that the diamond file can not fit into the T slot, the bit extender I bought separately also can not fit into the slot. Have returned them to the retailer for replacement.
Frustrated by its quality, maybe I am too fussy about it, or maybe I am just unluck.

Thanks.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 07:23:07 AM
Hi, just letting you know that Leatherman in the States has refunded my surge and they could not do replacement for international order.
And I ended up buying another surge from a New Zealand retailer, received it last Friday only to find out that the diamond file can not fit into the T slot, the bit extender I bought separately also can not fit into the slot. Have returned them to the retailer for replacement.
Frustrated by its quality, maybe I am too fussy about it, or maybe I am just unluck.

Thanks.
You have real bad luck with that, i know that quality has decreased but not that much, its really frustrating to pay premium prices and get instead cheap. Can you post some pictures of those?

Only Tools Matters

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 07:55:56 AM
Hi Gatsby,

the file is a little thicker than the saw and sits more flush within the holder. There is not wiggle room left. The saw is slimmer.
Have another go and see whether you can close it with a bit of considerate force.

I'm not sure about the bit extender.
Some pictures could be helpful  ;)

Offline Gatsby Wang

Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 12:02:21 AM
You have real bad luck with that, i know that quality has decreased but not that much, its really frustrating to pay premium prices and get instead cheap. Can you post some pictures of those?

Only Tools Matters

It is all sorted now through the local supplier, received the Surge and bit extender replacement, all fit in well. A bit convoluted... My lesson to learn from this whole process is: you can not expect too much of a production line product even if you pay a higher price for it.

Offline Gatsby Wang

Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 12:03:38 AM
Hi Gatsby,

the file is a little thicker than the saw and sits more flush within the holder. There is not wiggle room left. The saw is slimmer.
Have another go and see whether you can close it with a bit of considerate force.

I'm not sure about the bit extender.
Some pictures could be helpful  ;)
Hi thanks, all sorted now. good things take time...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%