Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Interior Tool Mod

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Wave Interior Tool Mod
on: November 04, 2023, 02:58:49 PM
  Finally got around to building a modern version of the original Wave.  I like the idea of having the awl and dedicated Phillips on a tool I can use outdoors without losing bits.

Tools: can opener + Phillips and pry bar + awl + scissors.

The issue: tools overlap with pliers stop bar.  The solution was to snap off the pliers stop.  But, there still isn’t enough clearance. I think it’s the rest of that piece causing the implements to sit too high. 

So, pliers won’t close. 

IMG_3494.jpg
* IMG_3494.jpg (Filesize: 85.23 KB)

I think I need to file down the rest of that stop.  It should work.  The only other fit issue is the awl sitting on top on the scissors, so awl has to come out to get scissors.  Otherwise works great.

* IMG_3500.jpg (Filesize: 70.33 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wave Interior Tool Mod
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 08:23:16 PM
It's been a while so I could be way off here.

Pretty sure the Phillips is short enough to clear the Scissors handle so try swapping that over.
If grinding down the rest of the plier stop doesn't work then option two is remove it completely.
Remove the pliers, grab ends and lift up and out. Re peen the rivet for the inner tools lock spring.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 08:58:26 PM
I know for sure that you can get phillips side go lower by bending little tab inside handle or just breaking it like in picture ( upper normal Wave and other is my modded Wave)

Otherside isnt so easy cause profile of awl prevents pliers go any deeper even if you cut that tab ( i have tried in both handles and same result) only way to make pliers and handle close properly is modding awl profile and if you want to close it like normal wave maybe also profiling phillips needed to vlose fully.

Difference with our mods i didnt keep scissors but instead microbit driver.

As you can see my wave dont close fully but its so small gap that i really dont care it even if it wont close properly causd i really do t wanna reprofile awl ( awful lot work for reprofiling it, cause need to make it by hand and not with tooös cause heat treat might go wrong)

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 11:34:26 AM
Oops, nothing to add to this thread.  :facepalm:

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 02:39:54 PM
It's been a while so I could be way off here.

Pretty sure the Phillips is short enough to clear the Scissors handle so try swapping that over.
If grinding down the rest of the plier stop doesn't work then option two is remove it completely.
Remove the pliers, grab ends and lift up and out. Re peen the rivet for the inner tools lock spring.

I know for sure that you can get phillips side go lower by bending little tab inside handle or just breaking it like in picture ( upper normal Wave and other is my modded Wave)
(Image removed from quote.)

Otherside isnt so easy cause profile of awl prevents pliers go any deeper even if you cut that tab ( i have tried in both handles and same result) only way to make pliers and handle close properly is modding awl profile and if you want to close it like normal wave maybe also profiling phillips needed to vlose fully.

Difference with our mods i didnt keep scissors but instead microbit driver.

As you can see my wave dont close fully but its so small gap that i really dont care it even if it wont close properly causd i really do t wanna reprofile awl ( awful lot work for reprofiling it, cause need to make it by hand and not with tooös cause heat treat might go wrong)

Only Tools Matters

Thanks, Zoidberg and Anti Lammi.  These are helpful suggestions. I will try some further modification.

Fully closing the pliers would be ideal but also doesn’t render the tool unusable. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%