Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roxon M2 screwdriver mod

de Offline thom53281

Roxon M2 screwdriver mod
on: November 19, 2023, 08:57:37 PM
Hello everyone! :)

About a year ago, I built this tool. Till now, it is really a joy, working with it along with the bit screwdriver and I carried it every day with me. But for EDC it is just a little to heavy. So I decided to try another smaller tool as EDC for random stuff and use the bigger tools when I know I do real work. Also I used the adjustable wrench quite often while working, but on random EDC not that much.

First I thought about, which functionality I use the most.

Screwdrivers: Flat, small flat, Philips, Torx (Torx not that much)
Needle nose pliers and wire cutters
Knife and scissors
Adjustable wrench

In that order. The adjustable wrench is really handy, but I decided to drop that for EDC. This also increases the count of multitools which meet my requirements. First I borrowed a Nextool Mini Flagship, which was a christmas present for my girlfriend. But I was not that happy with it.

So I ordered a Roxon M2 Mini. I was looking at the tool for quite a while, but there is one problem with it, that stopped me from buying it earlier. Why the hell do no flat screwdrivers exist in the Roxon universe? No flat on the tool and also no flat on the bit kit. Just the tiny glasses screwdriver on the tool and another one almost same size on the bits. Instead, there are a lot of tools which I don't need.

File and nail cleaner - I want to work with it and not do my nails.
Bottle opener - I can open bottles with almost anything.
Can opener - Never opened a can with a multitool. When I open a can, I do it in the kitchen and with a real can opener.
Box opener - There is a knife on the tool!
Glass breaker - In case of an emergency, I can break the glass with almost anything.

So almost all the tools that come with the Roxon M2 are useless for me. What I love on the multitool, is the giant scissors for its size. So I just started to improve the tool. :)

First we get rid of the nail cleaner. I just used the angle grinder and made it to a really wide flat screwdriver.

Next tool is a small flat screwdriver. But there is no tool left to modify. I had to make one on my own. I started with a thick sheet of stainless steel and cut the form approximately.

After a while of sanding and filing, I had this:

And the result. :)
Not the shiniest, but it does its job.

Here are the three tools compared. The big tool and the screwdriver I had about a year in my pocket for EDC.

Maybe this will help someone. :)
Also another tip: Never disassemble the scissors. I needed almost an hour to put them back together and cut my hand. The scissors are really sharp. Just grind the nail file on the tool without disassembling it.

de Offline thom53281

Re: Roxon M2 screwdriver mod
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 11:13:04 AM
In the meantime, I had some new ideas.

Sadly I had a few problems with the small screwdriver I made. The side of the tool where I put it, is in my opinion a little weaker. So I first decided to remove the micro driver and replaced it with the small screwdriver. I had to remove the spacers between the tools, but this is no problem for me. Now all three tools on this side come out at once, when I pull a tool out and then I can decide which I want and all three screwdrivers are now on one side also.

Next question was, what to do with the other side left. Put the useless tools back? No, never.

So I thought about, which function I really use a lot and have not in the tool yet: A pen! I don't use it that much, but carry it every day.

Just to try it, I grabbed a little tube out of aluminium (for example, a radio antenna would also be OK, I think). I cut the mine of a pen on the right size, so it fits in there perfectly. To exchange it, I just have to unbend the tube a little bit in a vise and then bend it back. It is not the nicest, but OK for a first prototype.

I used it already for a few days and it works perfectly. And yes, my fingers are black on the photo, because I cut the mine and touched it.  :facepalm:

Maybe this helps someone. I would love to see Roxon manufacture a tool like this.  :gimme:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 11:47:28 AM
Seems really workable. I have few question.
How does weight feel on hand while writing?
I would think it bit disturb writing when most of weight lays on hand and length is presumably bit too short.
Is that pen from regular pens? I suggest trying to mod Victorinox retractable pen to it (those are used 58mm series) but i warn those pens are pressurisized so dont cut them.

I have also tought add pen to my MT but weight and size of MT allways prevents this. Victotinox 91mm 3-layer is max where using pen is somewhat bearable to use, i dont have Compact so it might be best (pen under hook locks it best in place. I dont know any other currently made 2-layer with hook) and 58mm with Retractable pen is also good to use.

Only Tools Matters

de Offline thom53281

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 12:15:20 PM
To be realistic, it is no real pen. But it works good. I need it mostly to take a few notes on the run, to mark a spot where I want to cut a thing or something like that. If you want to write a complete page, this is not your pen.

The center of gravity is exactly in the middle of the hand when you hold the tool. Also the length of the implement is at the right length, so your index and middle finger will support the weight a little bit. This might be different for left handed people. Those may have issues because some hold the pen different than right handed people. But I can't speak for them. In my handwriting, I see no difference, but also my handwriting is not the best.  :whistle:

That pen is just a regular pen cut to exactly 40mm. I cut one that was already half empty.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 01:18:41 PM
To be realistic, it is no real pen. But it works good. I need it mostly to take a few notes on the run, to mark a spot where I want to cut a thing or something like that. If you want to write a complete page, this is not your pen.

The center of gravity is exactly in the middle of the hand when you hold the tool. Also the length of the implement is at the right length, so your index and middle finger will support the weight a little bit. This might be different for left handed people. Those may have issues because some hold the pen different than right handed people. But I can't speak for them. In my handwriting, I see no difference, but also my handwriting is not the best.  :whistle:

That pen is just a regular pen cut to exactly 40mm. I cut one that was already half empty.
Nice, i usually do with my SAK pens signatures or fast note or marking.

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD