Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a good cheap jacket

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Looking for a good cheap jacket
on: November 25, 2023, 10:18:15 PM
Well like the subject says? I have a M65 which I love, but that’s so heavy and mostly stays in the closet, I normally just wear a thermal hoodie to take the dog out but now since we have two dogs I have to do twice the time and need to stay a little warmer, cause we live across from a field and it gets very windy, so I’m looking for like an Artic jacket, one that would be real good against winds and rain, and I wouldn’t mind a fur hood to help when it gets cold and it does get into the single digits,, any suggestions?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Re: Looking for a good cheap jacket (DELETE)
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 04:13:56 AM
After about 6hrs of research I found something.. so no need for this post..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Looking for a good cheap jacket
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 01:59:17 PM
What did you find ?   

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 03:42:25 PM
I looked on Amazon and found this at 20% off because of a cyber sale, I normally try to find something with like over 2k ratings and at least a 4.5 stars, but I just couldn’t find a jacket I liked, one would have one thing I wanted, but not another, then I’d find another jacket that had a bonus but then not another feature, so I just gave up but I did find this one which had everything I was after, but just only 200 ratings, but still a 4.5 star, so I was like screw it, the funny thing is the Mrs liked it and ended up getting a matching one :facepalm:
JR

Pursky Men's Waterproof
Ski Jacket Winter Snow
Coats Fur Hooded
Raincoats Parka

* IMG_2702.jpg (Filesize: 109.77 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 10:27:03 PM
I went to a thrift store and bought a stack of cold weather jackets from light to toasty at $3.00 each including one Gor-Tex jacket that priced out at between $480.00 and $520.00 when I checked the price on line.   I never felt any special need to buy anything new other than underwear and socks, so that's where I draw the line.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 10:32:07 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 11:12:26 PM
I went to a thrift store and bought a stack of cold weather jackets from light to toasty at $3.00 each including one Gor-Tex jacket that priced out at between $480.00 and $520.00 when I checked the price on line.   I never felt any special need to buy anything new other than underwear and socks, so that's where I draw the line.
Agreed, ain’t nothing wrong with some used stuff, sometimes new, but sometimes the old school is better than new stuff! My other jacket like I said is an old military, TOTALY worth it, it was like new and I’ve had it for like over 10 and it’s still like new, only this is it’s HEAVY, and to dig it out of the closet to use in order to take the dogs out like 5 times a day, forget it, thus why the thermal hoodies at the back door, but it’s starting to get a little cold and now doubling the time outside because of the second dog I needed something warmer, to top it off we get some NASTY winds, let alone the snow/rain which it’s doing now so something also waterproof,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 03:08:41 AM
There was one funny thing about the jacket, I normally get an xl cause I teeter right on the diff between the sizes, but I have been working on a diet and have lost a few, so I went down a size to just a large, now the Mrs totally lost weight so she got only a medium, yet you would think of hers being smaller it would be cheaper, wrong, my large was actually $5 cheaper then her medium! Fig that out.. it was prob because it was a more common size, thus not as odd..
JR

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 06:01:46 AM
There was one funny thing about the jacket, I normally get an xl cause I teeter right on the diff between the sizes, but I have been working on a diet and have lost a few, so I went down a size to just a large, now the Mrs totally lost weight so she got only a medium, yet you would think of hers being smaller it would be cheaper, wrong, my large was actually $5 cheaper then her medium! Fig that out.. it was prob because it was a more common size, thus not as odd..
JR
Amazon’s pricing algorithm (which of course they are very secretive about) seems to sometimes yield unexpected results like this.  Another odd thing I sometimes see is significant price differences for the same item in different colors.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 12:52:15 PM
Amazon’s pricing algorithm (which of course they are very secretive about) seems to sometimes yield unexpected results like this.  Another odd thing I sometimes see is significant price differences for the same item in different colors.
True,
JR

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 01:42:55 PM
I looked on Amazon and found this at 20% off because of a cyber sale, I normally try to find something with like over 2k ratings and at least a 4.5 stars, but I just couldn’t find a jacket I liked, one would have one thing I wanted, but not another, then I’d find another jacket that had a bonus but then not another feature, so I just gave up but I did find this one which had everything I was after, but just only 200 ratings, but still a 4.5 star, so I was like screw it, the funny thing is the Mrs liked it and ended up getting a matching one :facepalm:
JR

Pursky Men's Waterproof
Ski Jacket Winter Snow
Coats Fur Hooded
Raincoats Parka

Looks nice !   :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2023, 04:32:40 AM
The jacket came in, funny thing is the Mrs jacket didn’t, but I tried it on and liked it, it’s a little snug for me I always like things a little baggy but it works, little tight in the armpits when stretching, but that could have also been my tshirt, cause that’s a little tight, only other complaint is the zipper, it’s a double zipper which was one of the reasons I went with it, so when I’m crammed in the back seat and want to open the jacket up from the bottom to give a little relief, but the zipper is a little sticky maybe it just needs to be worked in? Other then that I was shocked when I took the dogs out, were below freezing but the winds are a little ugly, another main reason why I got it because of the wind proof, yet I went outside and was like wow, I can feel the wind pushing but it was as if I had cardboard wrapped around me, nothing! The zipper comes up and closes off the neck area very nicely, not choking, and the hood, lol, nice but it’s got a lot of fur, another reason I got it because i seriously like how it cuts down the wind on the face, but it hangs a little low, so another thing to work on, yet the fur actually zips off, so if I can’t stand it then it will just come off, as far as warmth, like I said it cuts the wind down a big diff, and it traps heat in, I took one dog out, then brought them in to take the other dog out, then came back in to get the trash since tomorrows trash day and by the time I got the trash bag I was getting a little overheated and was happy to go outside to cool off, other then that I’d say it was a good grab, just hope the zipper just needs some breaking in,, here’s a pic
JR

* IMG_2721.jpg (Filesize: 97.11 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2023, 05:35:03 AM
Looks good !   :tu:

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2023, 01:31:58 PM
Your upper half looks like going on an antarctic expedition. Now you only have to change your trousers and your dogs for huskies...  :rofl:

Always good when the purchases come out halfways nice!  :cheers:
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 02:30:41 PM
Yeah, neither of the dogs would last too long on an expedition both being shorthair.
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 12:43:55 AM
Little update, early this morning it started raining and has been alllllll day! So each time I had to take either of the dogs out it was coming down pretty good, needless to say that jacket it waterproof, and I must say did very good, the water was just rolling off of it, I came in and just flicked it and watched all the water just hit the floor.. and as for the zipper it seems to be working a little easier, (knock on wood)
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 01:07:22 AM
The jacket came in, funny thing is the Mrs jacket didn’t, but I tried it on and liked it, it’s a little snug for me I always like things a little baggy but it works, little tight in the armpits when stretching, but that could have also been my tshirt, cause that’s a little tight, only other complaint is the zipper, it’s a double zipper which was one of the reasons I went with it, so when I’m crammed in the back seat and want to open the jacket up from the bottom to give a little relief, but the zipper is a little sticky maybe it just needs to be worked in? Other then that I was shocked when I took the dogs out, were below freezing but the winds are a little ugly, another main reason why I got it because of the wind proof, yet I went outside and was like wow, I can feel the wind pushing but it was as if I had cardboard wrapped around me, nothing! The zipper comes up and closes off the neck area very nicely, not choking, and the hood, lol, nice but it’s got a lot of fur, another reason I got it because i seriously like how it cuts down the wind on the face, but it hangs a little low, so another thing to work on, yet the fur actually zips off, so if I can’t stand it then it will just come off, as far as warmth, like I said it cuts the wind down a big diff, and it traps heat in, I took one dog out, then brought them in to take the other dog out, then came back in to get the trash since tomorrows trash day and by the time I got the trash bag I was getting a little overheated and was happy to go outside to cool off, other then that I’d say it was a good grab, just hope the zipper just needs some breaking in,, here’s a pic
JR
Looking good, JR!

:cheers: :tu:

As per the zipper, just pass the tip of a pencil over it a few times, like you're writing on the zipper (open or closed). The graphite is a great "lubricant" for zippers.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2023, 03:57:57 AM
Looking good, JR!

:cheers: :tu:

As per the zipper, just pass the tip of a pencil over it a few times, like you're writing on the zipper (open or closed). The graphite is a great "lubricant" for zippers.

:tu: :tu:
Thanks, I have a few mechanical pencils that I can get graphite in good,,
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%