Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knipex Kraze

us Offline Steelej1976

Knipex Kraze
on: December 01, 2023, 10:28:28 PM
I don't get the Knipex Kraziness.  Dont get me wrong they are excellent pliers but I don't get why anyone would want to EDC them.

If I was going to EDC regular pliers I would carry a pair of slip joint pliers because at least they have wire cutting capability which is one the main tools I use on my Leatherman Rebar.

Do any of you EDC the Knipex Cobra pliers?  If so why those over a different type?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 10:41:27 PM by Steelej1976 »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Knipex Kraze
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 06:07:24 AM
I don’t carry them daily, but have been known to slip a 125 mm pair in a pocket when I anticipate a need.

If one wants to be able to grab and hold, turn, or twist just about anything that will fit in the jaws, but isn’t worried about cutting wire, Knipex Cobras are arguably some of the best pliers money can buy.

Also, with the 125 mm version weighing in at about three ounces, they are lighter than many of the other options.

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 01:07:09 PM
I don't get the Knipex Kraziness. 
I’m with you.  No offense intended to anyone here of course, but I chalk it up to another Internet driven forum fad. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 02:01:23 PM
If one wants to be able to grab and hold, turn, or twist just about anything that will fit in the jaws, but isn’t worried about cutting wire, Knipex Cobras are arguably some of the best pliers money can buy.

Also, with the 125 mm version weighing in at about three ounces, they are lighter than many of the other options.

:iagree:

A Knipex pliers wrench is like having a socket set in your pocket.  And if you want more grip and aren't concerned with teeth marks, the Cobra does the same thing but is even grippier.  Plus, and lets face it, MT pliers are pretty lame.  I have never needed or used a wire cutter even once in my life, so that one is off the table for me.  So when I put all of the data in the Powernoodle Food Processor and Statistical Analyzer, it tells me that the Knipex pliers wrench is a pretty awesome addition to one's pocket.  Especially when it supplants a heavier, bulkier MT and is paired with a SAK.  JMO of course.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 06:32:43 PM
They are a great quality tool :cheers: I have a 5 inch pair that stays in my backpack and another larger one that I use around the house :tu:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 07:42:44 PM
No offense taken. I have a few and love them. I do think folks are getting too crazy on XS version. For a few mm larger you get better ergonomics and still very pocketable. I carry the 125 mm and keep the XS in several earthquake kits.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 10:10:03 PM
While I'm sure that they're good tools, I'm too broke for one.  My ChannelLocks will have to do.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 10:23:39 PM
It’s just something different to carry. They go good with an SAK or leatherman c33t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 03:02:59 AM
I EDC the little Cobra 100 ones, the 4", because they fit in my back pocket without printing and I don't notice them when sitting down.
I chose these because of the reviews, and because they cost me about a tenth of what a Leatherman would have, as well as avoiding the locking blade issues.

They're pretty good. I'm not a fan of the 'slip-ratchet' design, as I'd rather have torque in both directions, but they've earned their keep nonetheless.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 04:04:32 AM
While I'm sure that they're good tools, I'm too broke for one.  My ChannelLocks will have to do.

KC Tools have occasional sales. Maybe sign up on their newsletter or try to catch one.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 04:07:30 AM

I have way more Channel Locks than Knipex and they have never failed me either :salute: :like:

Offline dmattaponi

Knipex Kraze
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 10:32:15 AM
I will admit a bias.  When I was first introduced to the multitool back in the early nineties, I was really impressed by the idea.  A self contained, miniature pocket toolbox containing the basic array of typical toolbox tools…pliers, wire cutter, screwdrivers, file, saw, ruler, cutter.  No, it wasn’t the perfect tool, but the concept was really neat and the multitool did serve me well for many jobs that would pop up when I was out and about.  Channel locks are incredibly useful for their purpose, but they are more one-dimensional, and they just don’t excite me like a traditional multitool still does today. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 11:36:46 AM by dmattaponi »

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 11:33:36 AM
I don't get the Knipex Kraziness.  Dont get me wrong they are excellent pliers but I don't get why anyone would want to EDC them.

If I was going to EDC regular pliers I would carry a pair of slip joint pliers because at least they have wire cutting capability which is one the main tools I use on my Leatherman Rebar.

Do any of you EDC the Knipex Cobra pliers?  If so why those over a different type?

My uncle carried a small Buck knife and a 4" Crescent wrench, which he used all the time in his shop.  I knew another guy who worked for the water department who carried channel locks in his pocket.

The tools in a MT are all a compromise.  Specific tools do one job very well.  I don't carry Knipex in my pocket, but I do have them in a tool kit in my bag, for when a MT doesn't do what I need.  The guy I work with carries Wera bit drivers in his bag, because the company tools are always a mess. 

In my toolbox at home I have a number of pliers, from very small to large, made by a number of companies including Knipex.  I also have some tools that were rather costly, but were cheaper than hiring a plumber/repairman. 

I'm happy to see anyone carrying a knife/MT/tool/light.  :tu:

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 03:21:21 PM
My uncle carried a small Buck knife and a 4" Crescent wrench, which he used all the time in his shop.  I knew another guy who worked for the water department who carried channel locks in his pocket.

The tools in a MT are all a compromise.  Specific tools do one job very well.  I don't carry Knipex in my pocket, but I do have them in a tool kit in my bag, for when a MT doesn't do what I need.  The guy I work with carries Wera bit drivers in his bag, because the company tools are always a mess. 

In my toolbox at home I have a number of pliers, from very small to large, made by a number of companies including Knipex.  I also have some tools that were rather costly, but were cheaper than hiring a plumber/repairman. 

I'm happy to see anyone carrying a knife/MT/tool/light.  :tu:

I can understand carrying them for work purposes and if you know you are going to be needing them daily.  Where I grew up every farmer carried a pair of slip joint pliers in a pouch on their belt but what I see on a lot of these forums is people carrying the Knipex, a mini pry bar, a screwdriver, scissors, etc...  I am all for people carrying what they need and using what they carry but it seems to me a multitool would cover 90% of their needs.   

:iagree: though the Boy Scout in me likes seeing people carrying knives, pliers, and multitools

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 03:22:37 PM
I will admit a bias.  When I was first introduced to the multitool back in the early nineties, I was really impressed by the idea.  A self contained, miniature pocket toolbox containing the basic array of typical toolbox tools…pliers, wire cutter, screwdrivers, file, saw, ruler, cutter.  No, it wasn’t the perfect tool, but the concept was really neat and the multitool did serve me well for many jobs that would pop up when I was out and about.  Channel locks are incredibly useful for their purpose, but they are more one-dimensional, and they just don’t excite me like a traditional multitool still does today. 

^^This ^^

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 03:27:56 PM
:iagree:

A Knipex pliers wrench is like having a socket set in your pocket.  And if you want more grip and aren't concerned with teeth marks, the Cobra does the same thing but is even grippier.  Plus, and lets face it, MT pliers are pretty lame.  I have never needed or used a wire cutter even once in my life, so that one is off the table for me.  So when I put all of the data in the Powernoodle Food Processor and Statistical Analyzer, it tells me that the Knipex pliers wrench is a pretty awesome addition to one's pocket.  Especially when it supplants a heavier, bulkier MT and is paired with a SAK.  JMO of course.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Fair opinion.  For me I use the wire cutters on my Rebar all the time.  I cut 100 CAT 6E yesterday with the Rebar and it worked as well as any pair of snips would.  I think my Leatherman Wave and Rebar have great needlenose pliers but you are right the regular pliers part is barely adequate but still they sometimes work in a pinch.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2023, 06:45:20 AM
 :dunno:

I don't have knipex pliers.  I CAN see why it is a good option for some people.  M-F, I belt carry a leatherman in a leather sheath with my flashlight and the leatherman ratcheting driver extension.  I reach for that sheath at work around 5 - 15 times a week.  For ME, the flashlight probably gets used the most, but I often find myself replacing the plugs on power cords and extension fairly regularly, so I need the wire cutters, wire strippers, and screw drivers. 
I have thought about a small set of pliers, like what Knipex makes, as an add-on to my EDC so that I can hold a nut while turning a bolt at the same time.  But personally I feel like I would rather carry a Crunch or a small adjustable wrench. 

My Boss used to carry a center drive in his edc.  He felt that his priority was to have good pliers, drivers, and a blade.  He got fed up with the Center Drive and his solution that he now raves about is the Knipex pliers, paired with the Milwaukee utility blade that has the fold out bit driver on the back.  He loves it.   

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 07:01:48 AM
But personally I feel like I would rather carry a Crunch or a small adjustable wrench.
As PN mentioned earlier in this thread, if you don’t need to be able to grip round objects, the Knipex Plier Wrench is brilliant and better than a small adjustable wrench IMO.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 12:50:13 PM
I am all for people carrying what they need and using what they carry but it seems to me a multitool would cover 90% of their needs.   

That's quite true.   Statistically, I could get by with a Skeletool or Tinker Deluxe and a small Streamlight.  In my prepared for anything heart, I want a lot more.

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 04:08:59 PM
I can understand carrying them for work purposes and if you know you are going to be needing them daily.  Where I grew up every farmer carried a pair of slip joint pliers in a pouch on their belt but what I see on a lot of these forums is people carrying the Knipex, a mini pry bar, a screwdriver, scissors, etc...  I am all for people carrying what they need and using what they carry but it seems to me a multitool would cover 90% of their needs.   

:iagree: though the Boy Scout in me likes seeing people carrying knives, pliers, and multitools

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 04:14:20 PM
That's quite true.   Statistically, I could get by with a Skeletool or Tinker Deluxe and a small Streamlight.  In my prepared for anything heart, I want a lot more.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 05:05:05 PM
This raises a deeper, philosophical line of inquiry.  I have long believed that we play this SAK/MT game largely to give ourselves the illusion of control in this cruel, cold world.  Its akin to a child carrying a blankie and a stuffed animal.  It distracts us from the sad reality that we will never play leapfrog with Lady Gaga or walk on the moon.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 11:01:26 PM
This raises a deeper, philosophical line of inquiry.  I have long believed that we play this SAK/MT game largely to give ourselves the illusion of control in this cruel, cold world.  Its akin to a child carrying a blankie and a stuffed animal.  It distracts us from the sad reality that we will never play leapfrog with Lady Gaga or walk on the moon.

Play leapfrog with Lady Gaga

Thanks Powernoodle now i can never get that picture out of my head, lol. 

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2023, 12:05:14 AM
That's what I was after.   :tu:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 12:54:00 AM

I love me some illusion of control, but SAK/MTs don't provide that for me.  I just like gadgets, knives, gadgets with knives, knives with gadgets...

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 07, 2023, 08:52:46 PM

I’ll admit to feeling some psychological satisfaction from being just a bit prepared to face life’s challenges.  I’ll even admit to feeling naked without a knife.

Unlike a stuffed animal, however, my EDC tools are useful for tasks beyond just feeling good.  And some get used nearly daily, while most get used at least occasionally.

Finally, it is good and healthy to have a hobby or three, and collecting and using SAKs/MTs (and discussion of same) seems like as good a hobby as any, and probably more useful than most.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2023, 09:09:39 PM
I wholly agree.  The feel good element of SAK/MT culture is but one part of the equation.  There is certainly the practical portion as well.  But practicality alone does not explain why many of us carry redundant or unnecessary toys/tools day after day.  For many of us, there is a deep psychological foundation to all of this.  Lets face it - something other than mere practicality is compelling grown men and women to talk about our toys and post pics on MTO on a daily basis.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #27 on: December 09, 2023, 03:31:42 AM
I don’t own a pair of Knipex, though I have no doubt they are wonderful tools, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad word about them. 

Personally, I’m a Channelocks and Vise Grip man. I don’t carry one in my pockets, but I do keep them in the backpack I take with me back and forth to work.

Channelocks are excellent tools, are forged steel just like Knipex, and come in pretty much all the sizes that Knipex do. My favorite pair of Channelocks are the 6” pair.  That and a similar size Vise Grips seem to be sufficient for my needs. I have larger examples of both that live in the toolbox at home for projects around the house.

As far as carrying a multi tool on my person on a daily basis goes, I pretty much stick to SAKs. They seem to strike a good balance between weight/bulk and frequency of use for me. I work in IT in an office environment and a 2 - 4 layer SAK is usually plenty.

I agree that there is a psychological part of it though. But it’s not just the presence of the SAK - it’s the years of experience I have using all the tools on them. The knowledge I have gained from growing up in a family that had to fix everything themselves because we had no other option, financially, and the years since as a husband and father refining those skills.

The SAK is a bit of a security blanket, but it’s also a physical reminder of the skills/knowledge and something that gives me the ability to put them to good use for myself and others.

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2023, 03:03:33 PM
I wholly agree…but…practicality alone does not explain why many of us carry redundant or unnecessary toys/tools day after day…Lets face it - something other than mere practicality is compelling grown men and women to talk about our toys and post pics on MTO on a daily basis.
Hear, hear!…but I think of it more as a psych “disorder”…and I suffer from it as much as any!  But isn’t admitting it the first step to getting better?

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #29 on: December 09, 2023, 10:45:54 PM
For many of us, there is a deep psychological foundation to all of this.  Lets face it - something other than mere practicality is compelling grown men and women to talk about our toys and post pics on MTO on a daily basis.
People have been showing, discussing and sharing for hundreds of years. It's just what we do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%