Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MicBer

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
MicBer
on: December 07, 2023, 09:50:56 PM
Now many of you wonder what is that.
Well its kinda my experiment changing Dime pliers to Micra and i was able to do it but was it worth of it read and found out what i think.

First of all i dissambled my Dime for pliers and half of Micra. Firat thing i noticed pivot size is diffrent, tried first with hss drill to make larger pivot but it didnt work, next with cobalt drill still same result. I didnt have anymore Carbide drill so changed to dremel with steel grinding bit. it worked but needed to be careful not to make oval hole or make too big hole. Since there isnt much material there was no room for mistakes.

After i got one side i tested it to Micras handle it was fitting there like glove. Then did same thing to other pivot.
Next phase was finding spacer to fill gap between pliers and handle. I did try many washer but those was too thick or too thin (if stacked 2 then it was too thick). I did made few custom spacer also but didnt end well on those part.
Aluminium washer was too thin and it wouldnt work on long run.
Tried to make spacer on Stainless Steel but it was bit too thick ( after i made one spacer noticed it was too thick).
First i was gonna give up whole thing but then i got idea, BIKE CHAIN. I measured ot and it was perfect size for washer.  I splitted one piece of chain and i just needed to split in half part of it and enlarge pivot size and it was easy peasy work.
I fine tuned new spacer bit better so those would fit.

After spacer were ready and fitted to right size i started assemble it. Assembling went pretty easily and created this monster named MicBer (Mic-ra, Ger-Ber).

Well now after tool was ready and assembled it looked good job but how wrong i was. Pliers itself works just like on Dime but problems showed up when i tried to close it. Other half went pretty easily ( i tested it when first time fitted pliers to handle after i enlarged pivots) i tested fitting pliers on blade side and it didnt yet create problem, okey bit snug fit but it was okey.

Well then problems really showed up, fitting pliers on tweezer side made tools to push outwards cause tweezer side doesnt have frame to block it.

Well solution was lifting up 2d-phillips and it worked. First i tought to move that  2d-phillips next to combotool but it wouldnt still work cause it would be straight block for pliers.

Well closing handles now misaligned handles when closing handles cause other side flathead pushed pliers to side (first when i fitted didnt know this problem) well as you can see in pic handles are bit twisted.

Solution to this problem was simple lift up flathead and pliers closed. To close pliers without them misaligning would mean tools to be open.

But after i lifted tools up finded out last obstacle on the road. Cause Dime pliers have different spring mechanism than Micras scissors. Plier side of handles would stick open as you can see in pic.

Thinked first to get rid of those tools (2d-phillips and flathead) but noticed also something else when squeezed handlesbon plier side, first it was bit misaligned and seconly there wasnt enough room for pliers to fold better. That misaligned would be sustainable flaw but that folding part was bit too hard to solve since it would mean other plier had to go through spacer to close enough to close gap.

it looks awesome when its open and it works like charm.

As final words was it worth to do, maybe not but now im smarter again by testing these things and founded what worked and what not. I may keep this as this form on my desk. I may change tweezers for Dime package opener and maybe change Dimes blade also to Micra.

Only Tools Matters

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: MicBer
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 09:41:48 PM
Excellent series of photos showing process.  Learn by doing.  That's the best way.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: MicBer
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 12:17:04 PM
Excellent series of photos showing process.  Learn by doing.  That's the best way.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:
Excatly, is allways fun to make experiments on MTs to see what fits and what doesnt. Many modders here on forums inspired me to do something like they have done ( tho my part is still tiny compared to others)

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD