Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best and Worst of 2023??

GA1dad · 24 · 1454

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Best and Worst of 2023??
on: December 15, 2023, 03:36:48 AM
I suspect many of you are like me and have bought several knives and multi tools in 2023. Keeping it narrowed down to 2023, what is the (one) favorite knife and (one) favorite plier based multi tool that you purchased this year? And to balance it out, what is your (one) least favorite item of 2023?

Here's my list-

My (one) favorite knife of 2023 is the OHO Victorinox Sentinel Clip. I love having a one handed opener that includes tweezers and a toothpick. The backwards liner lock was a little awkward at first. But I based my choice on how often I slide this gem in my pocket. Such a comfortable and effective EDC.

My (one) favorite plier based multi tool of 2023 is the Leatherman Fuse that I purchased at a pawn shop up in Virginia while up there fishing with my brother. It had a broken knife blade at the time, which kept the price down a good bit. Instead of replacing the blade, I installed a file to make it a knifeless Fuse. This one just feels perfect in my hand.

My (one) least favorite item of 2023 is the Leatherman Free T2 that I am currently using in the SAK-Alike Challenge. I'm trying to give it a good chance, but I suspect it will be passed forward in January.

Anybody else wanna play?

* 20231214_201212.jpg (Filesize: 155.25 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Best and Worst of 2023??
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 03:46:18 AM
Favorite knife of '23: Demko AD20.5

Favorite plier based tool of '23: Leatherman Arc

Least favorite of '23: CRKT Septimo

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 04:05:08 AM
Favorite knife of '23: Demko AD20.5

Favorite plier based tool of '23: Leatherman Arc

Least favorite of '23: CRKT Septimo

Thanks for sharing. I really like the tool kit in the Arc!!
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 05:35:18 AM
Great idea for a thread   :tu:

My favorite knife of the year is this I*XL Lambsfoot with pen secondary

Favorite Mutitool of the year is the LM Charge+  Earth

20231201_125506.jpg
* 20231201_125506.jpg (Filesize: 296.2 KB)

Least favorite was the Gerber Dual force which I returned due to the cheap file and overall looseness of the tool.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:49:34 PM by SteveC »

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Best and Worst of 2023??
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 06:48:47 AM
Fave knife - has to be the Vic black beauty I'd wanted for a long while

Fave MT - Charge+ really love this thing

Least fave - hmmm that's harder :think: I didn't buy that much this year as really just buying LE SAK's so will pass for now

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 07:27:53 PM
Very nice!!! I don't have a Charge+ yet either. Maybe it'll be my favorite for 2024 :whistle:

cz Online AndyAaron

Best and Worst of 2023??
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 11:23:42 PM
I have always liked knives and tools but I started to be more interested this year. After registering on this forum I went crazy :D
My favorite- there are actually two on par - Cudeman folder and MiniChamp. These two I carry most and bring me most of the joy because I didn’t expect it.

Regarding MT there is definitely my good old Wave the favorite one.

For the least favorite I vote for Sheffield lamb foot. I bought it new and was really looking forward to it however it is very stiff and hard to open and close. I oiled it and tried to fix it but with no great result. It is still very hard to use it.

The whole group together:

hu Offline Mangyang

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 05:16:12 AM
Favourit knife this year is the Brisa bobtail. Perfect size!
Favourit multitool is still the Surge

Least favourit knife.  there wasnt any this year thank god
Least favourit multitool would be the lm Curl. That was too weak for my taste. I loved the toolset and the concept and the design only it was twisting so much in my hands while working with the inside tools. It felt really bad.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 04:52:55 AM
Great idea. I have a thought now, and I may post again depending on what Santa brings… I do like the idea of closing out the year with favorites for both personal acquisitions and offerings from our favorite manufacturers.

So far, my favorite knife acquisition is my Explorer.  It is by far my most used SAK and is in my opinion the best everyday carry. I didn’t get one until May and it has been used nearly everyday unless I’m in a challenge or in a honeymoon phase with another just purchased SAK. I always return to the Explorer.

My favorite PBMT is my butter blade Spirit. Started the year out with it acquiring in January.  Spirit is my preferred MT anyways and the serrated blade is great.

Least favorite is my Jetsetter.  I got it for flying and on the few times I’ve flown I either forgot it at home, or, I decided to check it because I’m flying out of an airport with notoriously anal TSA. These folks have stopped me for an items like a Keysmart, retractable ID clip, metal reusable straw, and even gummy bears… sealed! But even when I have had it, still haven’t used it. I just wont carry it when I have a rambler or MC including the needed pen knife and nail file.

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 06:33:40 AM
My favorite new to me acquisition is this Voss multi-tool that I picked up from the Revived Sos Surprise Box GAW ( US edition ) box.  It really caught my eye because of it's uniqueness.  I'll be a little sad to put it down once I'm done with the SAK-A-Like challenge but it'll give me time to try a few things on it that I've had percolating in my head.

My favorite new acquisition is the 2023 Alox.  I know that bright electric yellow isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love it.  I'm afraid to use it for fear of scratching it but by the same token, something like this deserves to be used.  For now it'll be a display queen until I get case for it so I can carry it from time to time.

My least favorite is this Rodgers Sheffield.  It's not fun to use as it feels like the springs are too strong and you almost rip a nail trying to open the tools.  It's a shame because it looks decent.

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surprise Box GAW!
🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Adam5

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 01:06:38 PM
My favorite MT of 2023 is my modified ST 300M:

My favorite knife of 2023 is a tie:

OC Farmer X:

Case Electrician

Least favorite MT:

GOAT

Least favorite knife:

None

Offline Djiaux

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 06:29:55 PM
Ok.

Favourite knife: srm Asika (7411tz). The smaller version is a very nice pocket knife.

Favourite pliers based tool: Was going to say Leatherman Bond but SOG Power Pint, no doubt.

Nothing least favourite.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 10:40:02 PM
Ok.

Favourite knife: srm Asika (7411tz). The smaller version is a very nice pocket knife.

Favourite pliers based tool: Was going to say Leatherman Bond but SOG Power Pint, no doubt.

Nothing least favourite.

Nice! I did get a Power Pint in 2023, but gave it to my daughter.  She is allowed to have a knife in her colleged dorm, with a 2 inch limit on blade length. The PP fit that bill perfectly. Figured that would also give her most of the tools that she may need for dorm life.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 01:04:24 AM
Favorite:  Leatherman Curl - which is basically a Skinny Wave.  Love the old school look and feel, the outside-opening main blade and the thin profile in the pocket.  Probably my top EDC pick among current Leatherman production. 

Least favorite:  the trajectory of Leatherman in 2023.  1) the MSRP on the Leatherman Arc; the magnetic deployment which I find more difficult than thumb holes and nail nicks; and the Magnacut steel as an excuse to ream the consumer with the price (among steels tested by Knife Steel Nerds and Blade HQ, Magnacut was 15th in edge retention and 21st in ease of sharpening); but mostly the MSRP.  I would be in at $139 for the Arc.  And 2), the Garage #006 which showed no innovation, was overpriced and still won't sell out.  Like the price of the Arc, the #006 was an insult to the MT community.  Maybe Leatherman can turn it around in 2024 with a new Squirt, a Rebar with outside-opening tools, and a partnership with Texas Tool Crafters to produce gold-plated and other cool Leathermans like they once did.  But that would require real MT guys to be running the company instead of bean counters.  I'm grumpy about Leatherman because I care!

https://www.leatherman.com/curl-646.html

Offline Djiaux

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 06:25:18 PM
Nice! I did get a Power Pint in 2023, but gave it to my daughter.  She is allowed to have a knife in her colleged dorm, with a 2 inch limit on blade length. The PP fit that bill perfectly. Figured that would also give her most of the tools that she may need for dorm life.

I would think so.
With a bit extender an some cheap extra bits you have a lot of handy tools with you for a very reasonable amount of bulk and weight. So, so nice for urban EDC or some unexpected work in the house.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 11:22:31 PM
Favorite:  Leatherman Curl - which is basically a Skinny Wave.  Love the old school look and feel, the outside-opening main blade and the thin profile in the pocket.  Probably my top EDC pick among current Leatherman production. 

Least favorite:  the trajectory of Leatherman in 2023.  1) the MSRP on the Leatherman Arc; the magnetic deployment which I find more difficult than thumb holes and nail nicks; and the Magnacut steel as an excuse to ream the consumer with the price (among steels tested by Knife Steel Nerds and Blade HQ, Magnacut was 15th in edge retention and 21st in ease of sharpening); but mostly the MSRP.  I would be in at $139 for the Arc.  And 2), the Garage #006 which showed no innovation, was overpriced and still won't sell out.  Like the price of the Arc, the #006 was an insult to the MT community.  Maybe Leatherman can turn it around in 2024 with a new Squirt, a Rebar with outside-opening tools, and a partnership with Texas Tool Crafters to produce gold-plated and other cool Leathermans like they once did.  But that would require real MT guys to be running the company instead of bean counters.  I'm grumpy about Leatherman because I care!

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

https://www.leatherman.com/curl-646.html

:iagree: With the LM trajectory completely.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 02:09:17 AM
Favourite knife: Joker Campero
Insanely comfortable. Solid. Good sheath, ferro rod. Amazing price. The Mora Kansbol was also a good purchase.

Favourite MT: Charge + Orange G10.
Solid, smooth, S30V blade, comfortable. %70 off. :D what's not to like?

Least favourite thing: Vessel crystalline ratcheting bit driver. Very stiff operation, the bit holder looked like it'll break after a week. Also the Fiskars heavy duty carpenter chisel knife. The Mora is half the price and much more solid. The Hultafors too.

I'll have another look and see if I find anything else.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 02:57:40 AM

Favourite MT: Charge + Orange G10.
Solid, smooth, S30V blade, comfortable. %70 off. :D what's not to like?

And thanks to you mate I get to say :iagree: :tu: :hatsoff: :salute:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2024, 04:46:32 AM
My favorite (and perhaps only) PBMT I got in ‘23 was the LM Skeletool CX.

It’s fairly minimalist (for a PBMT), featuring a knife blade, pliers/wirecutters, a bit driver, pocket clip, and carabiner/bottle opener.  Overall, it’s decent, but it could be so much better…

In spite of its rather unorthodox appearance and the size (2.6”) being somewhat smaller than I originally expected, the knife blade has a decent belly and useable point, and can easily handle most EDC knife tasks.  I appreciate that the blade is outside opening, OHO, OHC, 154CM, and came razor sharp from the factory.  I would like to see the blade be a bit longer (say 3”) while keeping the overall closed length to 4”, and I think this would be doable in conjunction with some other design changes…

Pliers/wirecutters are OK, but would love to see them replaced with a beefier pliers head featuring LM’s replaceable cutters.

Get rid of the bit driver and bits, and replace them with one permanent 1/4” flat driver and one permanent #1/#2 Phillips.

The carabiner/bottle opener is an abomination.  It’s bulky, adds length, and is pretty much useless.  The pocket clip is the preferred method of carrying, the tool is too large for a key ring, and an unobtrusive lanyard hole could provide the means for attaching it to or dangling it from something if desired.  Aside from the fact that I’m already carrying a bottle opener or two at all times, a tool that already has pliers and a flat screwdriver doesn’t need a dedicated bottle opener, full stop.  Get rid of this, and use the space and length you save to upgrade the pliers head and blade as detailed above, while keeping the closed length about the same.

If we’re basing best knife choice on what we carry the most, I would probably have to go with my Kershaw Highball XL SFO.  This SFO features upgraded steel (CPM S35VN) and handle materials (Ti) vs. the original Highball XL (D2 and SS, respectively).

I got the original Highball XL and wasn’t totally wowed by it.  The SS handle made the knife too handle-heavy, and too heavy overall for a 3.25” blade.  Nonetheless, when I came across the SFO discounted to nearly half off its original price, I picked it up.  And I was not disappointed.  The Ti handle made the knife significantly lighter overall, and put the balance point on the first finger.

It OHOs easily with either the thumb or reverse finger flick.  It’s slim and carries well with the pocket clip.  It’s got a great clip point blade shape, and cuts like a laser.

If I could make a couple of changes, I would get rid of the grooves and jimping on the blade, give it a FFG, add a flipper tab, and put some light to moderate texturing on the handle.

Worst of 2023?  Watching knife and tool prices spiral upward towards the stratosphere.

This used to be a reasonably affordable hobby, but I feel like it is getting crazy.

I may be wrong, but it seems like getting emails at the end of each year with titles like “Last Chance for 2023 Prices” and “Beat the 2024 Price Increase” is a relatively new phenomenon.

Also, I feel like some manufacturers need to be reminded that, once you start getting into the $400 - $500+ range, you are competing with the likes of Reeve and Hinderer, and you better be putting out a product that is smurfing flawless.

* IMG_2054.jpg (Filesize: 338.53 KB)

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 02:22:18 PM
Diggin' the Arc. This has replaced an SOG Powerlock I carried for many, many years. And a Paratool before that. I'm buying the bit extender and all of the bits next month (birthday month) and should get a free sheath.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 05:28:04 PM
My favorite (and perhaps only) PBMT I got in ‘23 was the LM Skeletool CX.

It’s fairly minimalist (for a PBMT), featuring a knife blade, pliers/wirecutters, a bit driver, pocket clip, and carabiner/bottle opener.  Overall, it’s decent, but it could be so much better…

In spite of its rather unorthodox appearance and the size (2.6”) being somewhat smaller than I originally expected, the knife blade has a decent belly and useable point, and can easily handle most EDC knife tasks.  I appreciate that the blade is outside opening, OHO, OHC, 154CM, and came razor sharp from the factory.  I would like to see the blade be a bit longer (say 3”) while keeping the overall closed length to 4”, and I think this would be doable in conjunction with some other design changes…

Pliers/wirecutters are OK, but would love to see them replaced with a beefier pliers head featuring LM’s replaceable cutters.

Get rid of the bit driver and bits, and replace them with one permanent 1/4” flat driver and one permanent #1/#2 Phillips.

The carabiner/bottle opener is an abomination.  It’s bulky, adds length, and is pretty much useless.  The pocket clip is the preferred method of carrying, the tool is too large for a key ring, and an unobtrusive lanyard hole could provide the means for attaching it to or dangling it from something if desired.  Aside from the fact that I’m already carrying a bottle opener or two at all times, a tool that already has pliers and a flat screwdriver doesn’t need a dedicated bottle opener, full stop.  Get rid of this, and use the space and length you save to upgrade the pliers head and blade as detailed above, while keeping the closed length about the same.

If we’re basing best knife choice on what we carry the most, I would probably have to go with my Kershaw Highball XL SFO.  This SFO features upgraded steel (CPM S35VN) and handle materials (Ti) vs. the original Highball XL (D2 and SS, respectively).

I got the original Highball XL and wasn’t totally wowed by it.  The SS handle made the knife too handle-heavy, and too heavy overall for a 3.25” blade.  Nonetheless, when I came across the SFO discounted to nearly half off its original price, I picked it up.  And I was not disappointed.  The Ti handle made the knife significantly lighter overall, and put the balance point on the first finger.

It OHOs easily with either the thumb or reverse finger flick.  It’s slim and carries well with the pocket clip.  It’s got a great clip point blade shape, and cuts like a laser.

If I could make a couple of changes, I would get rid of the grooves and jimping on the blade, give it a FFG, add a flipper tab, and put some light to moderate texturing on the handle.

Worst of 2023?  Watching knife and tool prices spiral upward towards the stratosphere.

This used to be a reasonably affordable hobby, but I feel like it is getting crazy.

I may be wrong, but it seems like getting emails at the end of each year with titles like “Last Chance for 2023 Prices” and “Beat the 2024 Price Increase” is a relatively new phenomenon.

Also, I feel like some manufacturers need to be reminded that, once you start getting into the $400 - $500+ range, you are competing with the likes of Reeve and Hinderer, and you better be putting out a product that is smurfing flawless.
Love the skeletool, it was my go to for years. In reality it's probably all I need on a day to day basis. I carry larger because at my job I may need to use it for something crazy plier wise and I don't think the skeletool would hold up. Only dislikes about the skeletool is the sharp edges around the knife pivot when closed. Can kind of tear my hand up when reaching in my pocket.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 02:13:48 AM
Best Multitool: Hands down, my Leatherman ARC.  Other than having a useless can opener, it's my perfect multitool.  That said, I can't think of anything to put in place of the can opener, so I guess I'm ready if my covered wagon loses a wheel and I need to open a can of vittles on the side of the trail.  :rofl:

Best Knife: I bought a lot of cool knives in 2023 which included several Bucks, Case traditional folders, and even a couple GEC folders.  Still, the easy winner (for me) is my Leatherman Klamath.  I wanted one for a long time, but the only ones I could find were going for ridiculous prices.  I finally found one for a reasonable price.   :woohoo:  If it wasn't for the Klamath, I would have a hard time picking my favorite.

Worst multitool - actually, it's better to call this "most disappointing multitool": my Swisstool Spirit XC.  I was so excited to find one of these discontinued Swisstools with the "butter blade".  It was a huge letdown to discover that it was just as stiff as my newer Swisstools.  It's a real nail breaker  :td:

Worst knife - again, "most disappointing knife" is a better description:  my Spyderco Delica 4 for the same reason I dislike the Spirit - it's just way too stiff for a premium tool.  Maybe I'm just too spoiled by my favorite Leathermans that glide open so nice (Charge+, Skeletool CX, etc)  :dunno:  I just expected the Delica to open as nice, if not better.  :td:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 01:17:46 AM
"Best Multitool: Hands down, my Leatherman ARC.  Other than having a useless can opener, it's my perfect multitool.  That said, I can't think of anything to put in place of the can opener, so I guess I'm ready if my covered wagon loses a wheel and I need to open a can of vittles on the side of the trail.  :rofl:"

Try this

"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 01:31:29 AM
"Best Multitool: Hands down, my Leatherman ARC.  Other than having a useless can opener, it's my perfect multitool.  That said, I can't think of anything to put in place of the can opener, so I guess I'm ready if my covered wagon loses a wheel and I need to open a can of vittles on the side of the trail.  :rofl:"

Try this

Well, damn!  Sold!  Who makes that?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88