Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Curl mod: how to replace the awl with a micro screwdriver

hu Offline Mangyang

This was my first mod and I am quite happy I managed to do it. The main difficulty here is that the awl is much thicker then the micro driver. So a thick stainless washer needs to be inserted to make the mod work. The diameter of the pivot is oddly between 4,5mm and 5 mm: around 4,75 mm. But I didnt measure it properly. I went with a washer with a 5 mm hole and it works very well. Sadly the washer I bought was 4,5 so I had to drill it with a 5 mm drill bit which was quite uncomfortable to perform but I was successful. removed all the burs and put it in the tool. All the tools on the picture come from a Wave. Decided to swap all the tools except the pliers to make it more appelaing to buyers since I dont intend to keep the Curl. Just needed the awl for the Wave. That will be another story…

Ps.: later I changed the order of the three inside tools. The mid size flathead should be in the middle to prevent the pliers jamming between the tools.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:33:40 PM by Mangyang »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Curl mod: how to replace the awl with a micro screwdriver
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 06:25:27 PM
Sweet looking Curl :drool: and glad to see you mod it to something that works for you :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 05:17:58 PM
But, 🤨.  I must ask. Why trouble yourself modding a CURL to be more WAVE like. When the CURL is to be a cost reduced WAVE style tool.  And strip parts from a WAVE ???

Seems to defeat the costing factor.

I like you can do it, but the two tools are to similar that it takes away the why.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 06:30:41 PM
I modded my Curl because I loved the thinner form factor.  I did mine a little differently than Mangyang - I removed the scissors to make room for the micro driver, then I mounted Wingman scissors in place of the file.  I also swapped the pliers with Rebar pliers (for the removable cutters) and I swapped the blade with a 154CM blade from a Charge.  So it took a Curl, Rebar, Wingman, and Charge to make my modded Curl   :ahhh  I still want to replace the can opener with something more useful, but nothing I want will fit.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 07:38:01 PM
Thank you Rich for your explanation and reasoning!

It yet is not fully appreciated by me as I guess I think the REBAR was accepted by me as my happy tool.

The point of taking another good tool apart  to be a donor of parts and  insert into another just escapes me.

The only mods that I found good was taking a Bo tool and swapping frames with a SS model. Because you still had two tools when completed.

Or, I must say I do like Poncho’s mod using a Charge handle.   Then assembling a pocket knife /  with a tool set enhancing  the handle for his needs.

I will admit my imagination is not as sharp as yours, Poncho’s or others.   And, for that I will  respect our members efforts to create THEIR perfect MT!🌹😉👍

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 07:54:07 PM
I will admit!   The ReBAR could improved in my eye if it did include the file of the WAVE or Pulse. I like the Diamond  side.  Yet, my work around  is purchasing the blade kit for the Surge ($10) and remove the saw blade,  and tuck the diamond file blade in the back of the sheath. I also did that with my Bond😉

Not really a mod, just a work around for me.

And for a laugh.  I am not a scissor guy, I bought a Charge just see what the fuss was about and I had free money from an Amazon gift card.  It was maybe 6 months later that I learned that the scissor was present during a challenge.

And. Then PA was sharing his mod of a Wingman and adding a piece of shrink tubing to the scissors and later replacing it with a  Victorinox scissors,  when I remembered that my Wingman used for Lego work did also have scissors😵‍💫 totally forgot that feature with outside handle access.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 07:59:38 PM
Modding is usually never about pricing :whistle: it will normally always cost you more to mod a tool than to leave it stock :D I mod to get as close to what I want or need for convenience and/or aesthetics :salute: 

Once you start modding though, it is much like accumulating MTs :ahhh once you start it is hard to stop :ahhh :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 08:01:25 PM
I also have a Rebar with a Wave file (actual grinding to fit was done by Steve on that one :salute: ) and scissors, plus it is dual colors and has a Kick pocket clip :D

The Sky is the limit sometimes in modding and all it requires is some inspiration or imagination :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 08:09:11 PM
 :multi: :like: :cheers:

I  am curious, my upbringing , I being frugal, and not wasteful  was reason for the question.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 08:49:36 PM
I was brought up frugal as well but I don't feel it as wasteful because I do try and use the parts in something :cheers: plus I am making something that suits my needs :salute: you can't make an omelet unless you break some eggs :whistle: :D

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 09:33:32 PM
I will admit!   The ReBAR could improved in my eye if it did include the file of the WAVE or Pulse. I like the Diamond  side.

You're almost there... I can already feel the dark side coursing through your veins.   :rofl:

:multi: :like: :cheers:

I  am curious, my upbringing , I being frugal, and not wasteful  was reason for the question.

I grew up poor, so I am normally very frugal myself... but you would never know it by my posts here.   :facepalm:

hu Offline Mangyang

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 07:14:13 PM
You guys dont like to read do you? I wrote in the original post that I wanted a Wave with an awl. I did all this to spend as little as possible. I swapped a micro driver for an awl. The other tools I swapped to make the Curl more appealing to buyers because I’ll sell the modded Curl and keep the Wave with the awl which I will mod with the given tools available to suit my needs. Aniway. Whatever I do it makes sense if it makes sense to Me. I shared all the process only to help others who might need any of that information in the future because I also learn a lot from old posta on this forum.  :hatsoff:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2024, 10:20:09 PM
 :rofl:

Yes, we or I can read! Just don’t comprehend as well!

I am told it is an oldster thing, spilling out the FIRST thought that comes of my mind.

Patiences😏 :rofl: :hatsoff: :facepalm: :oops:

Hope yours is as good!

hu Offline Mangyang

Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 05:03:06 AM
Everyrhing is okay  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87