Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What should I do and see in San Francisco?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What should I do and see in San Francisco?
on: December 22, 2023, 04:20:31 PM
Megan informed me yesterday that she booked us a trip to San Francisco is May, and I know all the usual stuff:

Lombard Street
Golden Gate Bridge
Alcatraz
M5

But what are the REAL things I should go see?  Knife shops, outdoors stores, trails etc. that I should see, places to eat and so on.

I don't know where we are staying yet, but I'll update this thread as more info becomes available.

Also, if anyone in the area wants to meet up, I'd be very happy to do that too!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: What should I do and see in San Francisco?
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 05:41:59 PM
Ripleys believe it or not
Giardelli Chocolate experience
Ride the street car and go to the museum

You'll love The Alcatraz tour  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 06:10:35 PM
Dang, I was out there back when I was like 16, we stayed at the Disneyland hotel for a week, we were able to get into the park a whole half hour before it even opened to the public, two other places we went was universal studios, got to see the Beetlejuice house up on the hill, and one thing Jaws can do that no other shark can do, swim backwards! Another place we went was Knott’s berry farm, it was the first place I went where the rollercoaster sat on a dime and hit like 120mph within 20ft like on an aircraft carrier! Weeeeeeee!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 07:21:04 PM
I haven’t been there in more than 20 years, but I second a lot of what has been mentioned already.  Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

Lombard St.

Golden Gate Bridge

Alcatraz

Streetcar ride

Chinatown (be sure to eat there too)

Seafood restaurant(s)

Google, Yelp, Tripadvisor, etc. are your friends when it comes to picking specific restaurants.

Depending on how long you will be in the area, how much driving you are willing to do, and whether you are open to spending the night in different places, San Francisco is about a 3-5 hour drive (one way) from some truly impressive national parks and trails, including Yosemite, Redwood, Sequoia & Kings Canyon, and portions of the Pacific Crest Trail.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 07:32:55 PM
We will be there for a week or so, and I'm sure if we will be renting a car or not during our stay.

Also I don't eat seafood despite living in a world class seafood destination already.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 07:37:25 PM
It’s been a few years I was there for the last time (2017) but some things remain the same ;) Here are my recommendations:
- Alcatraz tour for sure.
- Sutro Baths, especially for sunset.
- Golden gate park
- Coit tower - beautiful view
- Twin Peaks - also nice views and short hike
- Great seafood i PPQ Dungeness Island: https://maps.app.goo.gl/cx6nae2x5sZ3G1Ve9?g_st=ic
- Great cuisine - Burma Love: https://maps.app.goo.gl/HpU3rHQyFzJmi3u6A?g_st=ic You should try the salad with tea leaves here, it is simple amazing.
- Ride cable car (not sure what line it is specifically) that ends here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/7jj8Zpfonjr9jX8q6?g_st=ic
And then go to Buena Vista Cafe for the best Irish coffee.
- Obviously the piers and the rest of usual stuff… ;)

Enjoy the trip. I envy you! However if things will go well I plan to take my wife to West coast next June so hopefully we can make it to SF too.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 05:31:59 PM
My sister went a couple of years ago.  The first thing she told me about it was being on a guided tour on a double decker bus and seeing a guy dressed only in a cotton sock leading another guy down the sidewalk on a dog leash.  I think she said they were skipping. You don't see that back in Mayberry.  Being from Florida I'd have thought it was too cold for that sort of thing.  I'd need at least a wool sock.  I'd say dress warm, but being Canadian you won't even notice.  Wear your walking shoes, see Lombard street and Fisherman's wharf.  Have a fun and safe trip. :cheers:

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 05:34:55 PM
Before you go, watch (again) Star Trek IV:  The Voyage Home, to get a flavor of San Fran.  Or at least a 1986 flavor.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 08:46:10 PM
When taking the Alcatraz tour make sure to get the audio tour.  Its pretty neat to hear the sounds and the narration is very good.  Grab a bite at the Wharf while your there. 

I'd suggest going over the Golden Gate, there is a toll but I forget how much.  You can visit Muir Woods which is pretty nice place.

Theres no shortage of places to eat in SF.  I'd also suggest China Town, North Beach ( Italian ),  and The Misson District.

Really good walking shoes are a must.     
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 11:49:47 PM
We have a bit more of a plan now- we are flying into San Francisco and spending a few days there before heading to Yosemite for a couple of days, then spending the rest of the trip in Sonoma.

It looks like there is a knife shop at Pier 39 I figure I will go see, although we have been told to avoid that neighborhood as it's overpriced and touristy.  We also won't be too far from REI, which I will try to make time to go to.

Def

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 04:54:26 AM
…heading to Yosemite for a couple of days…

I know it’s a bit of a drive from SF, but so worth it.

Some of the sights I wouldn’t miss include Yosemite Falls, Bridalveil Fall, El Capitan, and the groves of Giant Sequoias (unlike mountains and waterfalls, these impressive trees can be seen nowhere in the world outside of California).

Also, if you don’t have it already, I’d recommend downloading the NPS app (the official app of the US National Park Service).  It is full of useful info from maps to current alerts, and you can save the info for offline use beforehand in case your service in the park is spotty.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 02:16:03 PM
I think our plan (at least for now!) is to leave SF as early as the car rental company will allow, then stop in Mariposa Grove for a hike.  Then we head off to whatever hotel we are staying at, then maybe rafting on the Merced River the next day.

I'd go for the Whitewater, but we will likely opt for the self guided flasmurfer raft that goes past at least one of those falls.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 07:40:21 PM
Sounds like a great plan so far.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 11:24:14 AM
We have fleshed out the trip a bit more now, and it's looks ng like we will be renting a car for much of it

We are going to spent a few days in San Francisco, then a couple of days in Yosemite, then a couple of days in Sonoma before heading home.

It will be nice to see some of the city, but I think we are going to prefer seeing redwoods and drinking wine!  :tu:

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 11:32:07 AM
Have fun!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 01:28:42 PM
And get you some authentic SF sourdough bread; your taste buds will thank you! Dress warm, even in summer. The old saying goes "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco" :D

Whatever you do and wherever you go BE CAREFUL! Street crime is rampant in many places you wouldn't think. DO NOT keep anything of value in your car - the windows WILL be smashed and it WILL be  stolen.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 02:04:39 AM
Thanks for the warning.  We rarely travel with much of value and we tend to not leave anything in the car.  I tend to keep most things that we bring with me iny backpack, which I never let out of my sight.  At restaurants it is draped over my knee, and in public I tend to keep an eye on who may be behind me, especially if they are close enough to slash the bag. 

If they do, they are likely to get a sweater and some water bottles, as the good stuff is in smaller pockets or suspended inside.

I'm not new to crime!

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 05:07:33 PM
There sure is lots to eat if food is your thing and lot of wine as well so you both will be more than happy.  Renting a car is a good call  :tu:.  Yosemite and Sonoma will be such a wonderful time.  Haven't been to the city in a long time myself but I've always had a great time. 

Depending on where you stay in the city getting to the sights will simpler not driving IMO.   I'd uber in the city or take public transportation but thats me.  Cable cars are always fun for any new visitor.  The main attractions are easy by way of cable car.  The "helpers" at the pay booths are not city employees  ;)

Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2024, 03:07:26 PM
Hop on the BART and get to Berkley... food is so much cheaper there (or at least was, when I was there years ago).
As for downtown, you can't miss "The Stinking Rose" best restaurant in the world :D

Not sure if this is still a thing. But back when I was there, you could get coupon booklets at the reception. This can save you a lot of money.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 14, 2024, 04:13:08 PM
Any recommendations on where to stay in SF?

Apparently the hotel we booked was in a neighborhood that one wouldn't really want to vacation in, and so we are scrambling to find something else.

Def

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2024, 01:58:40 PM
Last time I was there, we stayed at the Royal Pacific Motor Inn in Chinatown, and had no complaints.

Again, that was 20+ years ago, but it looks like they are still in business and getting decent ratings, so maybe worth a look.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024, 12:09:45 AM
Does anyone have any input on what Yosemite would be like in May?  Specifically Mariposa Grove area, and on the various trails in the area. 

We are reading from the Park Service that there is a possibility of snow closing roads throughout May.  As Canadians, we are used to being snowed in, but I really don't want to go all the way to California for pretty much exactly what we get at home.

Def

Offline Colt

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2024, 04:56:54 AM
Tommy’s joint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79