Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vosteed Mink

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Vosteed Mink
on: December 29, 2023, 04:47:31 PM
For the last year and a half Vosteed has been making waves in the knife industry. It's a difficult market to get into, and another to produce amazing designs that continue to get recognition. The company has mainly been a folding knife manufacturer, with some successful production of kitchen knives. Vosteed has decided to shake things up yet again, and produce their first fixed blade.

Dubbed the Mink, this versatile blade is good for everything from daily tasks, camping, and even dressing game. When it comes to fixed blades, I've come to prefer something compact and easy to carry. Go too small and you lose some versatility, too large and it's not great for all situations. The Mink fits nicely in between those two sizes, with an overall of 7.3" and a blade length of 3.33", it's perfect for everyday carry.

The 3.82" handle is long enough to get a four finger grip, that little bit of extra length gives me better control. The handle features a front quillion, it allows you to index the blade and provide a bit of extra safety. The scales are the companies famous frag pattern micarta, they provide an amazing grip while not being overly  aggressive. Using the Mink I didn't get any fatigue or spots that might be uncomfortable.

The 3.33" blade is 1.10" tall, comes in a clip point shape, and full flat grind. The shape lends itself to all sorts of utility, I've used it for breaking down boxes, food prep, and even did some whittling to test edge retention. The full flat grind was a great choice for this blade shape, and gave little  resistance in cuttingv chores. The Nitro V steel held edge well, I didn't need to touch up till just recently and it did so easily. The top of the blade features two areas of jimping, one for standard grip, and one for your index. I think the one towards the tip made it great detailed pull cuts, I did find the jumping to be somewhat uncomfortable though. When using the knife on wood to make shavings, the jimping would bite into the pad of my thumb, and with extended use made it a little sore.

The Mink is carried via a kydex sheath that's mounted in the vertical position. There is spacing so the knife could be oriented horizontally if that's your preference. I chose to add an Ulti-Clip so I could carry the knife clipped to my pocket or inside my waistband. The sheath works  great, it was small and hardly noticeable when being worn. I do think the retention is a little on the heavy side though. Pulling and replacing the knife takes some effort, but at least you won't be worried about it coming loose.

Overall I like the Mink, it's compact enough for everyday use but will work great in outdoor environments. It's very comfortable to use with exception of the jimping, and it very efficient at cutting tasks. If your looking for a quality daily fixed blade this might work for you.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Vosteed Mink
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 05:04:23 PM
At $69.00, it is pretty reasonably priced.   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 05:08:45 PM
 :iagree:

This company has many compelling offerings.  I had just saw something on the Mink so your review is perfect timing.  Love the color combination.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 06:28:49 PM
I just saw your new EDC badge, David.  Looks good.  That new Vosteed could be a good non-folder EDC option.  Great pix and review.  Best wishes.  G
 :like:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 08:15:20 PM
A thorough review of a what seems like a quality fixie.
Thank you!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 12:15:07 AM
Thanks guys, Vosteed has been killing it this past year and continues to deliver. I was never a fixed blade person but knives like these are making me into one.

Those who like fixies, I'm going to be reviewing a Demko Free reign and Armiger 4. They're 4 and 5 inches, a little much for everyday carry so they are taking me a little bit longer to give my feedback.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD