Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multipurpose Hook With Nail File

Offline 6Foot6Dude

• New User
Multipurpose Hook With Nail File
on: January 01, 2024, 08:10:18 PM
Hello all, I am new to the forum but have been lurking around for some time.

I am curious if the nail file on the hook of the compact catch on to clothing, such as inside the pocket since it is on the outside of the tool?

Also since not many other SAKs incorporate the nail file on the hook, if I glue some sandpaper to where the file section would have been to get the same effect on the models that don't have it, would that be a good solution?

By the way I do not know why not all hooks on SAKs do not have the file section (unless it tends to catch the clothing etc.), seems easy for Victorinox to implement as they already have it in production.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Multipurpose Hook With Nail File
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 09:03:56 PM
     Welcome to the forum, Dude.  The file section isn't very 'grabby', so it wouldn't be a problem with clothing.  It is a great addition.  I think it would be great to re-introduce the square section back phillips driver with a file section on it.  I hope you enjoy it here.  Lots of friendly people.  Nobody puts other people down.  Just tool nuts having fun.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 ;)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 09:19:39 PM
Welcome aboard!

In my limited experience carrying the Compact, there were no issues with the nail file catching on clothing.  I believe this is due to the fact that the nail file surface is designed for fingernails only (i.e. not a metal file), so it isn’t terribly aggressive.  Also, the rounded part of the hook and the corkscrew sticking out from the back of the knife may tend to limit clothing contact with the file.

With regard to gluing some sandpaper to the back of a plain hook, you could certainly try it and let us know how it goes, but I’m not sure I would recommend it.  For one thing, your application (dimensions and location of sandpaper; location, amount, and type of glue) would have to be almost perfect in order not to interfere with the  opening and closing of the hook or other tools.  For another, I’m not sure how long the sandpaper would last; it might have to be replaced periodically.

Why doesn’t Victorinox make all hooks with the nail file, and do away with the plain hook?  Only people making those decisions inside the company know for sure.  We can only speculate.  If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that the hook with nail file is more expensive to produce than the plain hook by a huge margin.  If true, this might also help answer another question that comes up from time to time:  Why is the Compact so expensive relative to models that seem similar (e.g. Spartan, Climber)?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 12:35:06 AM
I haven't carried a Compact in a while, but never had an issue with it catching when I did.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 01:17:07 PM
I've been carrying mine daily for the last four months and have never had an issue :tu:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 05:26:18 PM
I haven't carried a Compact in a while, but never had an issue with it catching when I did.

:iagree:  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 12:57:13 AM
Welcome 6'6, I carry my Compact fairly often and have zero issues.  As said the file isn't aggressive IMO to grab clothing.  I wear 5.11s if that helps. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD