Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Round 2: Talk to me about the Cybertool

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
on: January 05, 2024, 04:46:18 PM
Recently I asked about the Compact as a possible replacement for my current EDC Pioneer/alox classic/space pen (driven largely by its sale price on Amazon at the time). Now, I'm looking at the complete opposite end of the scale; the Cybertool 34.

Over Christmas, it seemed like there was an inordinate amount of toys with battery compartments held close withe recessed Philips screws as well as tags to be snipped, zip ties holding things in. It wasn't a huge deal, I just got a dedicated screwdriver, but it got me thinking that maybe a change to something like a Cybertool would add enough extra utility to make up for the added bulk.  So, I found one on eBay and got it.

In hand, I was yet again reminded of why I generally stay away from cellidor.  I really don't like plastic in my EDC stuff, especially something as cheap as cellidor.  Compared to alox it feels like a toy, unfortunately.  Plus there are so many little parts that, while I like the utility they would provide, it just seems like more stuff that will get lost.  I'm also reminded of how uncomfortable the sunken back springs and the corkscrew make holding the knife.  Its also more than double the weight of the pioneer.

In addition to all that, there are personality/philosophical hang-ups: I've always been what most would consider a "minimalist."  I like simple things, light weight, and I don't like having a bunch of knives.  SO this kind of goes against all that.  But, I do like having some level of preparedness which is why I carry a SAK to begin with.

All that being said, the tool does have a lot of useful functions. It would have solved the problems I encountered over Christmas without needing to get out a dedicated tool.  I admit to being more keen on it than I thought.

But...I've been carrying the same combo for 11+ years now, and its hard to change.  And it is a bit like a brick in the pocket...

:poh:

I have a feeling I ultimately won't change (just like with the brief flirtation with the Compact).

But, I'm seeking the wisdom of the MTO collective.  Help me out!  :cheers:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Round 2: Talk to me about the Cybertool
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 04:55:12 PM
Gustophersmob, I can't recall why you carry a Classic, is it because of the scissors?
I was thinking you could trim down to a PioneerX (w/scissors) and your space pen.
Also, does the Cybertool Small version not have a toolset you like?

It's always fun to read about someone's EDC journey.  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 05:01:02 PM
Yeah, I carry the classic for the scissors and nail file. So, in the case of the Cybertool, I owuld probably still keep the classic on the keys for the file.

The main reason for going with the Cybertool M was its greater availability (at the time I only saw one S on eBay and it was missing at least one bit) and the scissors.  I also thought maybe the pliers would be handy.

I like the idea of the Pioneer X as alox is still a big draw to me, but one of the big attractions of the Cybertool is the bit driver.  There would be some advantage to having scissors on the knife in my pocket vs the one hanging on the keys (which aren't always with me).

Thanks for the suggestion!  :cheers:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 05:38:16 PM
I recently got some Taschenmesser scales off Etsy and they are amazing. They feel so solid and they fit like a glove. Maybe changing scales to something different than cellidor could help the cybertool? 

I also tend toward the minimal side. Having a brick in my pocket reminds me of the 60 day Champ Challenge I did. Bricks are fun as they offer so many tools to look at and choose from, but in the end pocket carrying my champ is just too maximal for me. I know the bit holder tool would be the same. 

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 06:40:45 PM
I recently got some Taschenmesser scales off Etsy and they are amazing. They feel so solid and they fit like a glove. Maybe changing scales to something different than cellidor could help the cybertool? 

I also tend toward the minimal side. Having a brick in my pocket reminds me of the 60 day Champ Challenge I did. Bricks are fun as they offer so many tools to look at and choose from, but in the end pocket carrying my champ is just too maximal for me. I know the bit holder tool would be the same.

I thought about those micarta scales, or something like the Swissbianco alox scales. That would solve most of the plastic problems.

I agree about the brick nature. Cool tools but a bit much for me to pocket.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 06:42:37 PM
And, much like the brief compact flirtation, I think I’ve already talked myself out of it.

I tried to carry the cybertool today and it’s just too much for me in the pocket. Seeing as how I’ve made it to mid life without one, I think I’ll be ok continuing with my normal carry.

Besides, alox  :drool:

* IMG_5698.jpg (Filesize: 142.28 KB)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 07:12:41 PM by gustophersmob »

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 07:16:02 PM
The Cybertool Medium with custom Alox scales that have the pen slot, could be a one tool possibility.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 09:18:50 PM
The Cybertool Medium with custom Alox scales that have the pen slot, could be a one tool possibility.

Yeah, I was thinking that.  All but the nail file (why don't they use the compact file/hook tool on all of them?)...

But a brief browse through the SAKMC thread has made me strong and able to resist the allure of the cybertool (for now...)

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 10:36:46 PM
I can understand that.  I see your photo and those two SAKs compliment each other nicely.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 12:24:19 AM
Like I said about the Compact, I think your Pioneer and Classic SD are a great combo and I would not change.  The Pioneer and Classic SD are beautiful classic knives and they work for you.  I do think having the Cybertool 34 in a bag or in a pouch so you can carry when you feel like you might need (Christmas time) it is not a bad idea at all though.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 12:26:20 AM
Like I said about the Compact, I think your Pioneer and Classic SD are a great combo and I would not change.  The Pioneer and Classic SD are beautiful classic knives and they work for you.  I do think having the Cybertool 34 in a bag or in a pouch so you can carry when you feel like you might need (Christmas time) it is not a bad idea at all though.

Thanks again! And that’s a good idea.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 06:05:39 AM
It’s funny you posted this thread… I’ve just about made up my mind to buy a Cybertool M.

I’ve been carrying mostly 2 layer SAKs with a Rambler for years now. But in the last six months or so I’ve had a bit of a shift that I can’t quite explain. It may just be as simple as getting a new job that has me back in the office a few days per week - I work in technology but, like many of us here, I’m something of a handyman. When I see something is broken, loose, or out of adjustment I don’t tell someone about it. I fix it!

I’ve only been at the new job since August but I’m already the unofficial office handyman. When someone finds something broken around the place, they come ask me to help. We are a small non-profit, so we don’t have dedicated maintenance staff. When I was working from home full time I had easy access to any tool I might need  basically all the time. Now that I’m spending more time at the office, I find that my SAK usage and tool requirements have increased a fair amount!

So I’ve been carrying my Deluxe Tinker a lot since I got the new job and it’s seen a lot of use. I’ve had my Explorer in my pocket all week this week for the in-line Phillips. I have gotten used to carrying the 4 layer SAKs in my pocket and they feel great in the hand. But… I’m having a hard time deciding between the Explorer and the Deluxe Tinker lately…

The Cybertool M seems like the best way to combine the Deluxe Tinker and the Explorer! (Or maybe a Handyman….?). Plus, my handyman work does extend to electronic equipment from time to time.

So…. Yeah. I’m thinking about it. I have some Amazon credit kicking around from Christmas and I’m seriously thinking about using it on a Cybertool M.

My only slight hesitation are the proprietary bits for the bit driver. They seem to be rather pricey to replace! How fast do they seem to wear out? Are they pretty durable?

Edit - I don’t know what I’m talking about, mentioning the Handyman. It doesn’t have the in-line Phillips! I’d have to go all the way up to the SwissChamp!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 06:40:09 AM by marlowe221 »

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 10:14:35 AM
The bits don't easily wear out. I've got some here which are used regularly since 2017 and they are still kicking.

Recently I put together a small pouch with some Must-have items like a small flashlight, collapsible chopsticks, USB cables etc. There is also a Cybertool L and a Minichamp Alox in there, a combination which works perfectly.

I can only recommend the Cyber tool if you want to have at least some basic bits with you - all in one package.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 04:55:46 PM
I too think the bits would be pretty durable. I’ve read they’re made out of a hardened steel, so they should be similar to decent 1/4” bits as far as wear goes.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 05:26:54 PM
Sounds like you may have already made up your mind.  But if not…

As mentioned above, there are more than enough aftermarket 91 mm scales available in various materials that you could easily get rid of the cellidor.

YMMV, but in all the years I’ve carried cellidor SAKs (including Cybertools), the only one of the little pieces that I ever recall losing has been the mini-screwdriver from the corkscrew.  And, the issue was never that it fell out; the closed corkscrew holds it securely.  Rather, it has been user error; I would remove the mini-screwdriver and put it in a pocket or somewhere else in order to use the corkscrew, and then forget to return it to the corkscrew when I was done.

With regard to discomfort from the sunken back springs and corkscrew, I haven’t run into this problem.  I can see how the corkscrew could create hot spots under heavy or extended use, but not really how it’s an issue for what I think of as more typical use, perhaps a couple of times a day for fairly brief periods.  Maybe try adjusting your grip a bit?

As far as philosophy, labels (such as “minimalist”) can be a helpful shorthand way to describe our preferences.  However, when we invert that and try to change or limit our preferences to match our definition of labels, that is counterproductive.

I have the CT-M and CT-S…

The M is a brilliant tool set.  I did pocket carry it some, but ultimately found it heavier and bulkier than I really wanted to carry on my person.  It now lives in my laptop bag.  IMO, it’s a great bag/desk/glovebox SAK, but not a great pocket carry SAK.

In contrast, the S is very pocketable, being roughly the same thickness as many four-layer 91 mm SAKs (the bit driver layer is about double the thickness of most other layers).  It’s basically a multi-bit screwdriver with a Spartan in the handle. The only negative IMO is that it doesn’t have the pliers.  (Due to the Rambler on my key chain, I don’t miss the scissors too much.)

With regard to durability of the bits, I’ve found that the black coating tends wear off fairly quickly on the tips of the bits you use frequently.  But the steel itself seems to be properly hardened, as I haven’t observed it wearing down at all.

I’ve maintained that the perfect Cybertool would have the following layers:  main blade/combo tool/corkscrew, bit driver, pliers.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 05:33:35 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Nate.

“However, when we invert that and try to change or limit our preferences to match our definition of labels, that is counterproductive.”

This is good wisdom/advise.   :tu:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 06:38:19 PM
I have the CT-M and CT-S…

The M is a brilliant tool set.  I did pocket carry it some, but ultimately found it heavier and bulkier than I really wanted to carry on my person.  It now lives in my laptop bag.  IMO, it’s a great bag/desk/glovebox SAK, but not a great pocket carry SAK.

In contrast, the S is very pocketable, being roughly the same thickness as many four-layer 91 mm SAKs (the bit driver layer is about double the thickness of most other layers).  It’s basically a multi-bit screwdriver with a Spartan in the handle. The only negative IMO is that it doesn’t have the pliers.  (Due to the Rambler on my key chain, I don’t miss the scissors too much.)

With regard to durability of the bits, I’ve found that the black coating tends wear off fairly quickly on the tips of the bits you use frequently.  But the steel itself seems to be properly hardened, as I haven’t observed it wearing down at all.

I’ve maintained that the perfect Cybertool would have the following layers:  main blade/combo tool/corkscrew, bit driver, pliers.

Glad to hear the bits hold up well over time!

I do worry a little about the size/weight of the M. I would buy the S but it’s already not so easy to find and, when I do find it, prices are often higher than the M.

That said, I do want the pliers. I carry a pair of 6” Channelocks in my backpack when I go to the office (poor man’s Knipex!) but they are no match for the Victorinox pliers when it comes to detail work - and there are plenty of light/medium jobs the Vic pliers are fully capable of. They are not to be underestimated!

Really, if there were a model without the scissors, that would be perfect for me. I’ve got a Rambler for scissors and there is no shortage of regular scissors at the office.

If there’s anyone reading this thread who owns both the Deluxe Tinker and the Cybertool M, could you please post a side by side picture? I would really appreciate the visual comparison.

Edit - I suppose an alternative would be my Deluxe Tinker in the pocket and a Klein multi-bit screwdriver in my backpack.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 06:46:35 PM
Sorry, all I have is the CT M and the troubleshooter which is like a deluxe tinker but with an added metal saw/file layer. I can take pics of those if it’s helpful.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 07:52:51 PM
Sorry, all I have is the CT M and the troubleshooter which is like a deluxe tinker but with an added metal saw/file layer. I can take pics of those if it’s helpful.

Yes, please! I think that might be close enough to give me an idea. The saw layer is very thin.

cz Offline z1913

Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 08:00:37 PM
I do not have Deluxe Tinker but I have Ranger, which is almost the same width as the DT, so I am attaching some pictures comparing with CT M. You can see that the pliers are the same width as saw+file on the Ranger.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 08:04:41 PM
Thank you very much!

I also found this image of a Cybertool M next to an Explorer and Super Tinker (along with a few other SAKs)
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victorinox-swiss-army-knife-lot-1922449888

Hmmm… the Cybertool M is a thick one….

It’s about 28.7 grams heavier than the Deluxe Tinker going by the SakWiki. That’s not too bad.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 08:09:53 PM by marlowe221 »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2024, 09:28:25 PM
Sorry for the delay; I had to run an errand. 

Here is a width comparison:

* IMG_5714.jpg (Filesize: 77.22 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 06, 2024, 09:32:41 PM
If there’s anyone reading this thread who owns both the Deluxe Tinker and the Cybertool M, could you please post a side by side picture?

Ask and ye shall receive!

Also, the DT weighed 123 g on my scale, with the CT-M being 30 g heavier at 153 g.

* IMG_2007.jpg (Filesize: 412.55 KB)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #23 on: January 06, 2024, 10:35:03 PM
I see a few options that you could go with.

If you truly want to go minimalist, have you considered a 58mm manager with custom scales?

This would give you the full tool set of the Classic plus bottle opener with mini phillips driver and pen.

On Etsy there are 58mm scales in micarta, G10, titanium, etc.

This isn’t going to do the tasks as well as a larger, but does give you the tools as a just in case.  Also, if you anticipate needing something additional, it isn’t as big a deal.

Going with the Compact or other SAK variant and custom scales is also a definite option.  Although if you are going custom scales. 

Harder to find but some scale makers also do 84mm or 85mm, so you could get a 84 or 85mm SAK variant that has the nail file scissors and whatever or tools you want then custom scales.

I’m also going to throw out another route of either mod an alox or find someone to do it for you to the exact toolset you would like then carry a pen separate.  I have a couple Beaver Bladeworks 84mm custom alox knifes and they are nice, but not cheap.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:43:52 PM by Sos24 »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 06, 2024, 11:48:47 PM
I EDC'ed the CT34 for over a year and cannot praise it high enough for what it is: the ultimate urban SAK.

In your pocket, you definitely notice it's there, but it is not a pants puller by any means. I got used to it very quickly. And the celidor scales hold up just fine, I really wouldn't worry about them. Also, in the CT34 scales you get the pin and the pen, both of which I consider very useful (the tweezers are nice, but the CT34's pliers are just better).

That said, I eventually stopped carrying the CT34 when we got a dog and I needed a flashlight in my SAK. Also, I had realised that it's not often I encounter a screw without having quick access to a screwdriver. The pliers were a bigger loss, but I learned to manage without them (still miss them though).

Now, if you live in a city and want a SAK in your pocket that can do it all, the CT34 is the way to go imho (I still carry it on occasion when I go to places where a toolkit might come in handy). However, if size and weight are your top priority, the CT34 isn't for you. But I reckon you knew that already. Since you already bought it, why don't you just go on a personal 30 day challenge with it and see how it fares? You won't know if you don't try.

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2024, 12:15:37 AM
The answer is simple.  Marlowe wants to buy a Cybertool.  Gustopher wants to sell his judging from his offer to sell on the Multitools for Sale portion of this site.  You two just need to have a meeting of minds.  Both can be happy.  Or maybe unhappy.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 10:50:25 AM
I just want to add my 2 cents...,

While the Cybertool may be interesting for someone working in IT or a job where various types of SD's could be needed occasionally and making it an interesting portable solution for small jobs, i personally never really cared much for it.
To me it always looked kind of gimmick-y, big, and not adding a terrible amount of value in the big picture, at least in my use perspective.
I don't really need tools for my job, only a laptop, so my EDC is used for on-the-go, and in-a-pinch need kind of situations when i don't have real tools available, and in this perspective there are a ton of different solutions other than the Cybertool to be able to turn screws on an occasional basis, effectively enough to get the job done, much cheaper and less bulkier.

Other than the can opener, or a Vic Quattro, i find a regular adapter and bits of much more value to me (both in use and carry) than any Cybertool model. And with the added advantage i can use virtually any SAK  84/91/93mm that has a bottle opener, and that can be carried in a nice and self-contained small EDC kit

Is it the ideal for SD use? Of course not. But then again neither is a Cybertool, only a real SD in the "ideal" and what i prefer when ever i have one available.
The point is: It get's the job done in a pinch, which is what i look for in a SAK

93mm and 84mm:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:54:59 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 14, 2024, 09:47:17 AM

Is it the ideal for SD use? Of course not. But then again neither is a Cybertool, only a real SD in the "ideal" and what i prefer when ever i have one available.

Hi Mac,

I consider your adapter solution quite ingenious :hatsoff: Alas, I tried it out but found that at least with the two adapters I possess, the can opener does not slip in deep enough. It just falls off as soon as I take my hand away. Did you encounter the same problem and if so, do you have a solution?

In any event, after carrying the CT34 for more than a year, I disagree with the statement above: unlike the inline Philips, the Cybertool driver really is just as good as the "real" thing (as long as the underlying  SAK body is not too bulky, like the CT 41's or CT Lite's). I regularly used it at home even when a dedicated screwdriver was at hand, whereas I normally try to avoid using SAK SDs for fear of damaging the screw head or the SAK implement.

Cheers,

Simon

P.S.: Re-reading the first paragraph of my post, I wonder what Reinier would have made out of that...  ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:24:58 AM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 14, 2024, 03:54:05 PM
the Cybertool driver really is just as good as the "real" thing

I agree.  I find the CT bit driver as good as any comparably-sized multi-bit screwdriver, and better quality than many of them.

This is especially true as mounted in the CT-S, probably because the bit driver is the closest to being perfectly centered in the handle, and because it is the CT whose height is closest to its width.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #29 on: January 14, 2024, 05:35:45 PM
I carry a Cybertool Lite whenever I know I'll be doing stuff with computers or similar.
It's damn good for this and I find that, with the addition of a pocket hanger clip, I can carry a Swiss Champ and not even notice the bulk or weight.

For daily carry, the CT 34 is close to my ideal, but the bits tend to get stuck in the screws too often for my liking.

If little recessed screws are the big driver (pun intended) for carrying something, may I suggest a 58mm with the combo tool? Maybe a MiniChamp?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%