Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If You Only Had One Multi Or Knife...

us Offline BlindFarmer

If You Only Had One Multi Or Knife...
on: January 06, 2024, 10:11:08 PM
Howdy everyone. Lets have some fun here. Pretend you did not have a selection of multi-tools or knives. You can only pick one multi-tool and ine knife. What would you pick and why? My decision is based upon a tool to do work. I do not care about sentimental value, or latest tech. It has to be reliable, durable, etc. I do not care about how fast I can deploy the tools. I live in a small farm, and the rural life is not about speed. As I type this, I am having a hard time picking between these three multi-tools and these two knives. The Leatherman bit kit will also fit the Gerber MP600. Yet, the Victorinox bit kit is a seperate tool in the sheath which gives it more flexibility. I use a knife daily to open feed bags, boxes, cut twine from hay bails. At this point I have my finalists. All of these tools are high quality, it is hard for me to pick only one. If you had to narrow down a multi-tool and knife, what would it be for you?

* IMG_20240106_153229845.jpg (Filesize: 226.83 KB)
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: If You Only Had One Multi Or Knife...
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 12:06:07 AM
I think my pair would have to be the SwissTool Spirit and a Case Sodbuster Jr

For me the Spirit is a no brainer, the only debate would be model.  As much as I love the MXBS, the lack of saw knocks it out.  Also, the Spirit butter blade gives added versatility when paired with a PE knife.

The knife was a little more difficult.  Part of me wanted to go with a small fixed blade like the Buck 113 or White River ATK.  For actual utility those would win, but then there are laws and perceptions.  For that reason the SodBuster Jr just wins.  Small blade traditional just can be carried in more places and used without drawing as much attention.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 03:10:36 AM
Howdy everyone. Lets have some fun here. Pretend you did not have a selection of multi-tools or knives. You can only pick one multi-tool and ine knife. What would you pick and why? My decision is based upon a tool to do work. I do not care about sentimental value, or latest tech. It has to be reliable, durable, etc. I do not care about how fast I can deploy the tools. I live in a small farm, and the rural life is not about speed. As I type this, I am having a hard time picking between these three multi-tools and these two knives. The Leatherman bit kit will also fit the Gerber MP600. Yet, the Victorinox bit kit is a seperate tool in the sheath which gives it more flexibility. I use a knife daily to open feed bags, boxes, cut twine from hay bails. At this point I have my finalists. All of these tools are high quality, it is hard for me to pick only one. If you had to narrow down a multi-tool and knife, what would it be for you?

For me it would be my Rosewood Buck Vantage and the Leatherman Rebar.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 06:24:02 AM
Charge Ti signed by Tim Leatherman and copper Natrix

Pete

* 20230817_155622.jpg (Filesize: 115.38 KB)

* IMGP3838.jpg (Filesize: 155.97 KB)

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 01:02:48 AM
In my daily life I get everything done with a SAK, so getting to choose two tools is luxury! My scenario would be long time hiking or camping, and I would bring any multitool with a saw and scissors. That could be a SAK like Farmer X, or a LM Wave, Rebar, or any of the big ones. For knife, something that can handle everything and anything. So my combo is what I normally carry when doing outdoor stuff: Farmer X or Rebar (I have very rarely needed pliers in the woods so probably the former) and JP Peltonen M07.

* IMG_20240108_015110.jpg (Filesize: 236.84 KB)
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 05:56:54 PM
One and one, and like for ever?
Tough one.
I'd take my SwissChamp XAVT since it has _everything_
As for knife I think I'd go with the Plaque Doctor.  Robust as hell and so pretty.

Wait!

On 2nd thought I'd take the 2016 Gold Climber, very beautifull and has tools enough for MacGyver.
Knife could be Rike Knives Alien 4 Damascus. Not a working knife, but very sci-fi.

Oh! Wait wait wait!

I'll take the Voyager, it has a watch and an alarm.
As for knife, maybe Reventon by ER or Lajolo Urban.

Wait, wait, wait!!!

This is hopeless! I can't work out a pair for life.

That actually might explain the state of my bank account :(

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 06:42:46 PM
     One knife and one multi-tool.  Easy.  I would keep using the same Victorinox Trooper that I have been carrying for decades.  I have never gotten tired of it.  I could be content with it alone.  If I had to take a multi also, I would keep my Leatherman Kick. 
     That is assuming the question that I could keep two things already in my possession.  If I had the world to pick from......?  Who knows.  I might just stick to the same two things I have already chosen.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 08:05:42 PM
 My selection is simple, based on reliable performance for more that a few years,

A SuperTool 300

IMG_5295.jpg
* IMG_5295.jpg (Filesize: 189.89 KB)

And my Buck 112 Slim Select Pro, or any 112 version…

IMG_5276.jpg
* IMG_5276.jpg (Filesize: 146.76 KB)
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 09:21:54 PM
     I always thought the Buck 110 was a little bit of a pocket buster, but the 112 was just perfect.  The wood on the Buck knives is prettier, but the tough zytel or whatever it is makes for a better carry.  Hope all is well with you.  Best wishes.  G
 :like:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:04 PM
Thank you Gary😉

The 112 is Micarta

I am on standby, the report was bad day yesterday, I suspect a mini stroke. 

It is hard, she is 91, no medical issues, sees dr 1 a year.  Hard to convince her, she just no idea it was her son there yesterday.  He now understands what I have told him. She did the same with our sister when she arrived.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 11:45:45 PM
Mine would be the Giant Mouse Grand and Leatherman Arc. I chose the Grand because it's super comfortable and feels like it was made for me. As for the Arc, it has everything in the toolset I could possibly need on a day to day.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 12:14:42 AM
Thank you Gary😉

The 112 is Micarta

I am on standby, the report was bad day yesterday, I suspect a mini stroke. 

It is hard, she is 91, no medical issues, sees dr 1 a year.  Hard to convince her, she just no idea it was her son there yesterday.  He now understands what I have told him. She did the same with our sister when she arrived.

All the best to her. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 04:18:42 AM
Here is a curve ball for you. How about the SwissTool Spirit RT and Kershaw Heist.

* IMG_0011.jpg (Filesize: 308.28 KB)
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 04:28:01 PM
I'd have to go with my Surge as my MT.  As for my only knife  :think:.  This is quite an exercise mentally.  I love my Traditional folders.  I could do without a dedicated folder and I don't have too many to choose from nor a stand out favorite.  I'm struggling with fixed blades.  My cutting block would include Benchmade Contego, Bark River Bushcrafter, Bark River Canadian Special and Bark River Bush Seax.  :-\

Surge and Benchmade Contego it is.........  wait Bushcrafter.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 07:45:46 PM
Now you have over thunk it…

You can have two blades, Katherine and her purple thingy, too!

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2024, 07:59:31 PM
I'll tell ya what, Catherine is sharp without her cute purple knife  :rofl:

Lets not forget she commandeered my grey Case Peanut  :D.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2024, 09:32:56 PM
Leatherman Wave

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2024, 11:24:25 PM
I'll tell ya what, Catherine is sharp without her cute purple knife  :rofl:

Lets not forget she commandeered my grey Case Peanut  :D.
From your speak of her, I already knew that!!!
Did not wish to call that out, not a gentlemanly thing to do!

Take care of her my friend. 😉

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2024, 03:53:49 PM
 :D

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2024, 04:30:15 AM
In these “if you could only have one” thought experiments, there is some temptation to pick a MT that is very heavy duty and has all the features you could possibly need.  This may make sense if the  scenario is being marooned on a tropical island, lost in the wilds of _____, starring on “Alone”, TEOTWAWKI, etc.

But when I think about what I actually need and want to carry every day, an 8-12+ ounce MT is more than what I need and definitely more than I want to haul around.  I think I would go with the Vic Deluxe Climber.  The basic Climber toolset is very sound, and served me well for years.  The 91 mm pliers are really handy, and probably my next most used tool, while keeping the whole package to a pocketable four layers.  If mods are allowed, I would swap the plain hook for the hook with nail file.

Choosing just one knife is even tougher.  There are certainly arguments for a fixed blade.  A properly made fixed blade is much more rugged than the hardest use folder.  Fixed blades were handling all of mankind’s cutting needs for a long time before the first folder was invented.  But again, while a medium to large fixed blade may be the best choice for a survival scenario, they are larger and heavier than I need or want to carry around day-to-day.    And a large fixed blade on the belt wouldn’t be welcome everywhere; the consequences might range of being on the receiving end of disapproving looks to having the police called on you.  A small fixed blade might be more appealing to carry, but IMO their advantages over a good folder are minimal in most applications, and serious compromises have often been made with the handle, blade, or both in order to get the knife into the small size category.

I’m still looking for that perfect, “if I could have only one” knife (though I have some that are close).  I would certainly miss my trads, but ultimately if we’re talking only one then I would want about a 4” blade, super steel, probably Ti handles, bank vault lockup, strong but not too heavy, open design for easy cleaning, good belly and good point, lightning fast OHO (but prefer manual over assisted or auto), OHC, and a really great pocket clip (so many out there are less than optimal).

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2024, 06:00:34 AM
In these “if you could only have one” thought experiments, there is some temptation to pick a MT that is very heavy duty and has all the features you could possibly need.  This may make sense if the  scenario is being marooned on a tropical island, lost in the wilds of _____, starring on “Alone”, TEOTWAWKI, etc.

But when I think about what I actually need and want to carry every day, an 8-12+ ounce MT is more than what I need and definitely more than I want to haul around.  I think I would go with the Vic Deluxe Climber.  The basic Climber toolset is very sound, and served me well for years.  The 91 mm pliers are really handy, and probably my next most used tool, while keeping the whole package to a pocketable four layers.  If mods are allowed, I would swap the plain hook for the hook with nail file.

Choosing just one knife is even tougher.  There are certainly arguments for a fixed blade.  A properly made fixed blade is much more rugged than the hardest use folder.  Fixed blades were handling all of mankind’s cutting needs for a long time before the first folder was invented.  But again, while a medium to large fixed blade may be the best choice for a survival scenario, they are larger and heavier than I need or want to carry around day-to-day.    And a large fixed blade on the belt wouldn’t be welcome everywhere; the consequences might range of being on the receiving end of disapproving looks to having the police called on you.  A small fixed blade might be more appealing to carry, but IMO their advantages over a good folder are minimal in most applications, and serious compromises have often been made with the handle, blade, or both in order to get the knife into the small size category.

I’m still looking for that perfect, “if I could have only one” knife (though I have some that are close).  I would certainly miss my trads, but ultimately if we’re talking only one then I would want about a 4” blade, super steel, probably Ti handles, bank vault lockup, strong but not too heavy, open design for easy cleaning, good belly and good point, lightning fast OHO (but prefer manual over assisted or auto), OHC, and a really great pocket clip (so many out there are less than optimal).

The Sebenza is the best “one and done” folding knife IMO. It doesn’t meet your “lightning fast” requirement, but after a while they break in nicely. They are on washers, not bearings. It is everything you need in a good pocket knife.

However, if I can only have one knif and one MT, it would have to be my Charge and a small/medium fixed blade of some sort. ESEE 3 sized.

* IMG_0112.jpg (Filesize: 183.04 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2024, 12:21:53 PM
I can't choose just one tool and one knife. I just can't.  However, if I had to evacuate and never come back I might grab a Swiss Tool and a Buck 110, or it might be something completely different. :facepalm:

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #22 on: February 04, 2024, 01:13:34 PM
The stuff I carry every day is pretty much all I have on me at the time, so if I was kidnapped by aliens, or suddenly stranded on Gilligan's Isle this is what I'll have for sure.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 04, 2024, 07:01:05 PM
The only standalone Mt I've had the last few years in my Spirit w/butter blade so I'll go with that. It has done everything I need it to with no issues.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fi Offline temo

Reply #24 on: February 04, 2024, 10:59:35 PM
Squirt. I think most carried one. Also had quite much use. Though if travelling vic jetsetter. With that no issues in security check.

Lähetetty minun motorola edge laitteesta Tapatalkilla

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 05, 2024, 06:00:09 AM
When I first read this, I instantly thought, "That's easy!  My Leatherman ARC..." but then I realized that would mean I would be without my most carried multitool of all time - a Micra.  I thought about it a lot, and I think I would rather go without having a full-sized multitool than be without my Micra.  Yeah, that may be crazy talk around here  :ahhh , but I love the Micra  :tu:

For a knife, I would need something decently-size that's one-hand opening and has a deep carry pocket clip.  I like Bucks, so I think I'll go with my Ranger Sport.  From the pic, you can see it is almost brand new, but that's because I always have a full-sized multitool blade handy (the Ranger is redundant).  Since I would be carrying a Micra only, the Ranger would be the perfect size for my main blade.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2024, 02:00:23 PM
These aren't my pictures because I'm at work, but my choices would be my 2003 Wave and my Ontario Utilitac II . I like this Wave as there are no small parts to lose and it has good scissors. The Utilitac is a TANK! it opens quickly for a knife with thumbstuds but locks up TIGHT! They both currently live in my "INCH" bag ("I'm Never Coming Home").

* XKmgX40.jpg (Filesize: 328.71 KB)

* 45271_400_gray.jpg (Filesize: 14.24 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2024, 04:01:08 PM
Some  well thought out choices.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FinneganMckinney4000

Reply #28 on: February 05, 2024, 05:16:13 PM
Do modded MTs count? 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: February 05, 2024, 07:21:48 PM
Yes.  I'd imagine if you modded a tool to fit your needs then that would be the tool you'd most certainly want to carry  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD