Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I Finally Understand The Multi-Tool

us Offline BlindFarmer

I Finally Understand The Multi-Tool
on: January 08, 2024, 04:35:29 AM
You know when you finally have that light bulb moment? I finally get the multi-tool now. My thinking was wrong, my approach was incorrect. I will use the Leatherman Arc as an example. I was looking at the $230 price and thinking that is a lot for a multi-tool. Then I realize it can do 20 things. That is $11.50 per tool. I see now the value in the multi-tool is convenience. It is about having a imperfect yet useable tool on you when you need it. It is not designed to replace a tool, it is designed to be on you when you need it. You are on the tractor and the work lights are loose. Pull out a torx bit and tighten them up, get back to work. You go to hang the net of hay for the horses but the horses bent the hook. Grab the multi-tool pliers and fix it. The door latch for the feed room is misaligned, grab the philips screwdriver and fix it. You were tired, forgot your EDC knife and the tear open string just broke on the 50 pound bag of feed. Grab the multi-tool knife or scissors and open the bag. The multi-tool is not designed to be an 18 inch pry bar or a lug nut wrench. It is for those times when you need a tool quickly while having the ability to be with you at all times. It is not designed to replace your toolbox. Its purpose is to fill in when you are away from the toolbox. You are out feeding alpacas and you notice the gate latch is loose, grab the multi-tool. When I realized the purpose of the multi-tool, it all makes sense. It makes the price of a Super Tool 300 or even the Arc not seem so bad. When you can fix a burr on a bolt thread with a file in the field, and not go back for a thread die, it all starts to make sense.
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

Offline Sven34

Re: I Finally Understand The Multi-Tool
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 06:29:33 AM
 :iagree: Excellent  summary! I work in manufacturing, and I use my Leatherman Charge dozens of times a day, even where dedicated tools are available, because seconds count when production is running. My coworkers are amazed that I can disassemble a jammed tool, clear the jam and have it back in production in a matter of minutes all using a tool I carry on my belt.
 :multi:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 11:41:52 AM
Despite many manufacturer claims that these are "toolbox replacements" they absolutely are not, never were and never will be.

All they do is add convenience (and expediency) to your life by giving you options.

For example, if you had nothing on you and you can across a loose screw or an unopened package, you'd probably try to get it with your fingers.

A good pocket knife works well for opening the package, but doesn't help you tighten the screw (or open a bottle etc).

Yes in either case you could go get a screwdriver, scissors, knife or whatever, but it's so much faster and easier if you have a tool with you.

Sometimes your EDC tool won't do the things you need it to, but it will be close enough to get you to the right tool.

One time, I was on a trail with my Jeep and one of the leads on my starter came loose.  All I had with me was a Leatherman Blast, when what I needed was a box wrench or socket.  I was able to use the pliers to reattach the wire well enough to get me home, even though the plier head was just long enough to contact the other wire with each turn of the nut.

Crank ZAP, crank ZAP, crank ZAP.... A hundred or so times given the very little space I had to maneuver the tool.

Not ideal, but got the job done!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 02:31:41 PM
I don't dig the magnetic deployment on the ARC, though I can deal with it, but the $229 MSRP is an insult.  Especially when it has essentially the tool set of the Wave+ which was recently listed at $104.95.  When moving from the Wave+ to the ARC, you gain an awl and lose the serrated blade - one of my most-used tools.

That said, I agree with the thesis about convenience.  You become especially attached to an MT or SAK after it saves the day a few times.  I would take an Explorer Plus over any MT since I never need pliers, but can see how a real workin' man would want the convenience of pliers. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:55:27 PM
I don't have as many chances these days to use a MT as I use to but the convenience part is a big reason I still carry one :salute: they definitely make life easier and I wil carry something on me always as long as I am able :D :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 03:28:10 PM
Not much to add except that I agree that the MT is a compromise and that is invaluable in a pinch  :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 04:10:29 PM
Something smallish and lightweight like a Rebar or PST goes virtually unnoticed in the pocket, and has a high utility/size ratio.  So there is really not much of a downside to carrying one.  I still carry larger ones as well, just for the preparedness/fun factor.  Younglings carry a blanket or binky, dogs carry a chew toy and I carry an MT.  Its the feel-good continuum.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 04:41:17 PM
 :iagree: There have been many times I have been so happy to have a PBMT or SAK either because I had no other tools... OR, I am not climbing back down that ladder even though I usually just do. 

My experience I will say I have found I could replace a good portion of a tool box with my Wave+ kit or my Spirit X plus small SAK for many medium duty tasks.  Two years ago, I lived in 2 places commuting back and forth several hours staying in an apartment away from home.  My Wave took care of nearly every bit of general house upkeep and furniture teardown/building save for need for a small ball peen hammer I kept in the kit.  It also served as an emergency tool held on my belt during my 5+ hour drives.  I only needed it a couple times on the road, and thankfully nothing life or death.  It was my primary tool for moving 3 times in the last 3 years. 

My Spirit has been front and center for our current house renovations work (sometimes also other MTs/SAKs depending on the job) and before we moved, it was my farm tool.  As BlindFarmer mentioned, there are plenty of times where I just don't need to grab the tool box to take care of random task.  But, there have also been times where I am walking round the fence with the dog and needed pliers or something to mend at the chainlink.  Or, on one of the small tractors that doesn't have a dedicated toolbox, and like BF the light comes loose. Or, trouble shooting the old push mower fuel intake.  At that point it's part convenience of having the tool on me and having all the tools together in one package.  Now, I'm not at the family farm, but we have quite a large garden, so having a MT or SAK on me is helpful.

It's also a matter of preparedness for me. Living in a rural area I like the idea of having the additional tools on me to supplement the car/truck toolbox if needed. 

:cheers:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 04:45:03 PM
       :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 08:18:45 PM
Isn’t it the most fantastic feeling to understand how you benefit from a MT you can employ for convenience!

I discovered that several years ago working maintenace on my construction job.

I would be inspecting functions at a project, pretty soon my truck is 200 yards away,  I need a Phillips, a 1/4” flat blade screw driver to access a panel,  and then see a loose wire, the small flat blade will tighten.

Happened awl the time, parking garage count systems, truck on floor 1, you are on floor 4.
With a MT you are miracle worker, when really you are just to tired to fetch a tool awl the time so you buy a MT just hoping that besides being cool, you are smart.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 01:29:36 AM
I always look at a Multitool as an 80-90% solution.  A Multitool can do 80-90% of what a dedicated tool can do, for example the Phillips driver on my Rebar can turn a screw but sometimes is is limited because of length or not quite the right size for the screw.  I will always use dedicated tools when they are available but the whole point of a multitool for me is when dedicated tools are not close at hand.  I have to work on a multi-floor building and running around it is so handy to have a Multitool to make a fix if I can and if I can't I go get the tool bag.  I also use my Multitool as a supplement to dedicated tools at times. 

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 08:16:40 AM
Think of how many times MacGyver would have died and how short of series it would have been if he didn't have a MT.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

us Offline Adam5

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 08:29:20 AM
I agree with the general sentiment expressed in this thread and would like to add that a good MT is the perfect thing to have in your pocket when you are on Grandpa duty  :D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 12:07:01 AM
I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread.

I do not agree that $230 is a reasonable price for the LM Arc.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 12:12:26 AM
The multitool to me in an in the moment thing. I carry one on me because in that moment I may need a driver, or pliers etc. I don't carry a toolbox in my car, or need a dedicated tool on the daily, so a multitool fits my needs perfectly. Thankfully stores do keep tools on hand for issues that may arise on my trips, if not I would carry a box in my car for sure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 09:32:26 AM
I agree with the general sentiment expressed in this thread and would like to add that a good MT is the perfect thing to have in your pocket when you are on Grandpa duty  :D

You just reminded me of this cartoon. :cheers:

* multitool.jpg (Filesize: 118.26 KB)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 12:53:51 PM

You just reminded me of this cartoon. :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 01:08:07 PM
I'd never thought of it like that! If one was going to go buy a quality tool for each of those functions, it would probably cost more than 11.50 per tool!

I just found my new talking point when Mrs Fox starts asking why I spent so much on a multitool :tu: :woohoo:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2024, 04:00:30 PM
 :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 06:30:31 PM
I'd never thought of it like that! If one was going to go buy a quality tool for each of those functions, it would probably cost more than 11.50 per tool!

I just found my new talking point when Mrs Fox starts asking why I spent so much on a multitool :tu: :woohoo:

You are welcome lol. In my daily life, I am rational. I have to see the value in something before I invest in it. I am not an impulse buyer. A set of Klein or Makita bits will cost more than Wiha bits, but are of higher quality and will last a long time....thus making then less expensive in the end. I would rather buy a Honda generator once compared to a knock off clone that will never be of the same quality.
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2024, 11:17:02 PM
I like multitools as much as the next person here, but I don't really agree with your conclusion.

A LM Supertool might cost me ~$300,

This - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-wallet-tool-kit-51-piece/563626.html?cgid=SCA8008495

would cost me $55 and do quite a bit more, at a better level, and still fits in a backback, car, etc.-  (It's not total garbage, believe it or not, I know that brand, we use it in our call-out vehicles, it's reliable enough for professional work, and cheap enough to not worry about loss/theft)

My multi comes in handy a lot, but it never replaces a dedicated tool kit - not even on a pushbike, where I carry specific bike tools (admittedly multitools in their own right)

You can't really make the financial comparison, because they simply don't do the same job.

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 12:02:33 AM
I like multitools as much as the next person here, but I don't really agree with your conclusion.

A LM Supertool might cost me ~$300,

This - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-wallet-tool-kit-51-piece/563626.html?cgid=SCA8008495

would cost me $55 and do quite a bit more, at a better level, and still fits in a backback, car, etc.-  (It's not total garbage, believe it or not, I know that brand, we use it in our call-out vehicles, it's reliable enough for professional work, and cheap enough to not worry about loss/theft)

My multi comes in handy a lot, but it never replaces a dedicated tool kit - not even on a pushbike, where I carry specific bike tools (admittedly multitools in their own right)

You can't really make the financial comparison, because they simply don't do the same job.

That kit looks exactly like the kit I had in my car about 15 or so years ago. It was absolute garbage. I wonder if the kit you linked is the “good quality good value” kit copied by other big box stores and I bought one of the cheapo copies. I seem to remember mine came from Walmart.  Should’ve gone to Sears  :facepalm:  :rofl:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 02:13:01 PM

Over here I'm pretty sure that has potential to backfire quickly. I can almost hear it: "You need 20 more tools??? For what? What does thing here do? This thing? And so forth..."  :D

If I'm anywhere near proper tools the multitools are rarely used. But then there are all the other occasions where the tool you got with you is infinite more useful than any tools you don't have available. To me that is a key reason for carrying multitools.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 02:54:10 PM

That kit looks exactly like the kit I had in my car about 15 or so years ago. It was absolute garbage. I wonder if the kit you linked is the “good quality good value” kit copied by other big box stores and I bought one of the cheapo copies. I seem to remember mine came from Walmart.  Should’ve gone to Sears  :facepalm:  :rofl:

I bought it to throw in my camper as a backup. It hasn't exploded or anything yet, but it's definitely not any kind of quality. They have full time maintenance on site, so I only use it for little jobs or emergencies. It's fine for one or two things every weekend or two, but I'd trust a high end multitool over it if I had to pic one for life or whatever.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2024, 04:44:30 PM
MTs have their place.  I've seen many professionals carry them.  When a job can be done in that moment by a MT its always a win.  Sure dedicated tools will always be higher quality as they should.  MTs have played a notable part in my work life.  At home its just a very convenient problem solver.   

I like the thinking by the OP.  Never quite thought about it that way.  Its not a bad way to think about it. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 01:17:13 PM
MTs have their place.  I've seen many professionals carry them.  When a job can be done in that moment by a MT its always a win.  Sure dedicated tools will always be higher quality as they should.  MTs have played a notable part in my work life.  At home its just a very convenient problem solver.   

I like the thinking by the OP.  Never quite thought about it that way.  Its not a bad way to think about it.

I think that's their niche; handling immediate jobs within their capabilities so one doesn't have to pull out an entire tool box. Challenges happen when people start thinking they can do everything with an MT and then get disheartened when they can't. 
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 01:57:56 PM
 :iagree: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 12, 2024, 03:26:30 PM
 :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 03:40:21 PM
I'll get stuff done, that wouldn't get done if I had to chase down tools.

It's a win.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: January 21, 2024, 12:38:57 AM
 :tu: thats a great mindset.  Tools at hand means things get done in that moment. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD