Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Learning My Multitool "Style"

us Offline BlindFarmer

Learning My Multitool "Style"
on: January 08, 2024, 08:47:17 PM
I am starting to understand my multi-tool likes and dislikes or "style" lets call it. What is really neat about the multi-tool is all the different configurations they come in. That goes for the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife as well. Here is what I know about me:
Not a collector
Want a useable tool
Rather have a few I will use and not many in a drawer
Prefer 4 inch and 4.5 inch models
Prefer the large SAKs
Buy quality trusted brands

I am learning that I prefer easy open tools. That is why I like the MP600 so much and why I dislike the Wave. Those little fingernail tools on the inside are hard to open without fingernails. Yet, I am learning about tuning, so maybe I can adjust the Wave to make it useable. It is for this reason the Victorinox SAK is not for me. Those little fingernail indents. Yet, a genuine Victorinox tool is high quality. I have fallen in love with the Arc. I bet that once I tune aka loosen up the Rebar and Super Tool 300, those too will be fantastic. I find I do not enjoy keychain tools like the Leatherman Squirt of a mini SAK. This is due to my short fingernails and has nothing to do with the tools. In the end I find I prefer large and heavy duty multi-tools. I know how I think, once I find those few quality multi-tools, I will have my perfect for me EDC. This is fun.

When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Learning My Multitool "Style"
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 09:04:30 PM
I will have my perfect for me EDC.

Legions of us have said this many, many times.  And actually believed it.  And it may be true for you.  But I believe it is a rare thing around here. 

When I reach a point of stasis, I immediately start to rethink things.  For me, that's part of the fun.  Some people actually do land on what works for them and stay there.  But the kind of person who posts daily on MTO is generally the type of person who wants to keep churning the butter and trying new and different variations of EDC.

:cheers:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 10:45:22 PM
In my younger days I preferred the larger tools also.  OHO wasn't a thing back then.
These days I'm using tools on the smaller side as I'm basically limited to what I can carry easily.
I've grown quite fond of my SOG PowerPint multi tool which pairs well with a Victorinox MiniChamp.
If I actually need something larger I reach for my original Leatherman Super Tool.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 12:22:47 AM
As PN said, its a fun process.  I hope you can land on a tools you'll carry and use for a long time.  As for MTs for work its Surge followed by Spirit then Crunch.  At home its Skeletool, Swisstool, and Charge TTi. 

I enjoy the process when not at work trying different things.  My at home MTs are more about convenience since I can always go to the garage to fetch a real tool. 

Trying different tools helps a lot in determining what works tho I've also learned what might not work now may work later. 

I am a huge fan of my Squirt and have carried it longest of all my tools.  Its a beast and punches well above its weight class.   

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 02:27:07 AM
I’m still going through this process. I know I’m not a Surge, PowerAccess, Swisstool, etc kind of guy as they are just to big for me to comfortably carry. I do know I am a Wave, Spirit size kind of guy.  My preferred is a Kick or Spirit for pliers use comfort.  The original wave is also up there. 

I turned into a sort of collector, but stopped recently as it was financially unsustainable for me.  I enjoy using what I have to solve whatever problem I run into.

Finding your preferred MT is part of the fun with this hobby, but also really helpful when you find the right tool that suits your needs.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 04:03:19 PM
I wear 5.11 Taclite Pro pants almost every day.  They have a vertical pocket with velcro flap high on the left leg that is just the right size for an MT, gun mag, etc.  Makes it pretty easy to carry even a large MT and more or less forget that it is there.

https://www.511tactical.com/taclite-pro-pants.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 04:14:16 PM
@ GB,  There are some great tools in the Wave size category.  Pairing tools is also a fun and helpful thing to do.  A smaller less equipped MT paired with a SAK are quite a pair.  Even a Pocket Wrench 2 paired with a MT is a nice combination. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 05:29:05 PM
I am starting to understand my multi-tool likes and dislikes or "style" lets call it. What is really neat about the multi-tool is all the different configurations they come in. That goes for the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife as well. Here is what I know about me:
Not a collector
Want a useable tool
Rather have a few I will use and not many in a drawer
Prefer 4 inch and 4.5 inch models
Prefer the large SAKs
Buy quality trusted brands

We have all said that. Check back in a year  :D

us Online powernoodle

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 05:57:06 PM
Not a collector

I prefer hoarder.    :tu:

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 05:59:40 PM

We have all said that. Check back in a year  :D

In my case it is true. It is how I live my life. I still have my 30 year old Craftsman screwdrivers. They work, no need to upgrade to something "better". I have two Zippo lighters. One fluid fill and one butane. I tend to be brand loyal. If Pennzoil and Wix do the job, no need to try Mobil 1. I am generally not the bleeding edge guy, tend to be more tried and true. Notice, I bought a Super Tool 300 and was given an Arc. I love the Arc, it is brilliant in design. Yet, am drawn to the simplicity of the Super Tool 300. These days it is overshadowed by the Surge and is less desirable because it takes two seconds longer to open the knife. I tend to buy something and use it until it wears out. Solid brass Zippo with natural patina.

* IMG_20240109_115618499.jpg (Filesize: 187.83 KB)

us Offline BlindFarmer

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 06:01:14 PM
I prefer hoarder.    :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

LOL, love it. That is not me. I tend to be the less is more dude. Love the collection.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 09:17:53 PM
In my case it is true. It is how I live my life. I still have my 30 year old Craftsman screwdrivers. They work, no need to upgrade to something "better". I have two Zippo lighters. One fluid fill and one butane. I tend to be brand loyal. If Pennzoil and Wix do the job, no need to try Mobil 1. I am generally not the bleeding edge guy, tend to be more tried and true. Notice, I bought a Super Tool 300 and was given an Arc. I love the Arc, it is brilliant in design. Yet, am drawn to the simplicity of the Super Tool 300. These days it is overshadowed by the Surge and is less desirable because it takes two seconds longer to open the knife. I tend to buy something and use it until it wears out. Solid brass Zippo with natural patina.

If you are drawn to the simplicity of the ST300 then you need to get an Original Supertool  :tu:

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 09:39:30 PM
    Sounds like you found what you like.  And what you need.  Gerber MT and your Buck.  Some people don't like to sell gifts.  I understand that.  Might just need to put them in a drawer.  For now anyway. 
    Tools are an obsession or maybe just a hobby for most here.  I think tools are just tools for some of us.  Probably you. 
     I always picked up knives if I got a good deal in them.  Then after I tired of them, I swapped them off or sold them.  You will figure it out for yourself, I think.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 01:52:38 PM
I like a backup.

I have the Arc and plenty of bits. I keep a new Rebar in my truck door "just in case"...

I stlill have my old, worn out SOG Powerlock and a nice U.S.A. SOG Paratool that my late father gave me.

I love the Arc because it's easier to access the tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%