Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wingman Reimagined

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Leatherman Wingman Reimagined
on: December 31, 2023, 05:02:43 PM
I know many of you like me are not fans of the pinching spring loaded pliers or cheaper tools like the Wingman, but I will have to say after adding a thumb stud, bit driver, and a little shrink wrap to the scissors that it becomes a handy almost  “ergonomic” tool. The package opener works so well, but does not appear on any of the premium tools?  :think: Anyway sitting around on New Year’s Eve trying to solve world problems. Hope all of you had great holidays.

* IMG_4006.jpg (Filesize: 277.83 KB)
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Wingman Reimagined
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 05:40:39 PM
A very awesome toolset, pa :o the Wingman/Sidekick series has me on the fence most of the time :think: I want to like it but just can't make myself love them  :ahhh especially since the prices have went up so much from what they originally were :facepalm: but what you have done has made it very likeable :woohoo: :like:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 06:08:23 PM
 :like:  Nice!

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 08:04:03 PM
Never liked the Sidekick, but have one up in the box.

But, the WINGMAN, I do like!😉.   With my arthritis acting up, as weather changes to damp and cold, the spring loaded pliers improves my functions with small parts that my numb fingers have trouble grasping, let  alone hold.  It is  a tool I utilize with LEGO builds and such.

The package opener also helps seperate bricks of previous builds.  I have gifted a few to grandsons I build with.  That may they have one at their house when I visit and we get going a project, plus one is on my work space.

As   :facepalm: :dunno: :dunno: :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm: :dunno:wPoncho says, the price is today very high. I bought mine back a few years ago, at different outlets, paying no more than 25$ ever.   Sidekicks would be 30-35 because of the sheath😵‍💫

Back on Topic, NICE JOB pa_strunk, very nice modification!!!

PS:  I studied your pictures, and wondered how you fit the scissors in the handle  :facepalm:  then realized there are scissors there :dunno:, I forgot! 😊
Now to dig through a tool box and find some shrink tubing and mod my scissors handle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:12:50 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline JonesE

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 09:07:31 PM
 :iagree: :like:

Great job on the mod. I like that you added functionality to the tool to make it work better for you.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 12:08:15 AM
“PS:  I studied your pictures, and wondered how you fit the scissors in the handle”

The trick to creating room for the shrink tubbing is to create just a little extra space using a large flathead to carefully (pry) warp the outer layer of the wingman. Does not take a lot of space so go easy. Second consideration is after heating the shrink tubbing is to close the scissors quickly so it molds well to the handle on scissors. Unfortunately there is not enough room after closing scissors to put a second layer of shrink tubbing which would be ideal.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 08:44:00 AM
Awesome, I missed your reply ‘cause I forgot to check the notify box :oops:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 05:07:33 PM
 I give all the blame to Loopcutter  :rant: for the following mod. Got tired of replacing shrink wrap on Leatherman’s scissors on my wingman so I replaced them with some real Victorinox scissors. Not only do they lock up perfectly like the old scissors, but the nail nick is aLeo accessible.  Now I am completely content with my Wingman..

* IMG_0012.jpg (Filesize: 154.5 KB)

* IMG_0014.jpg (Filesize: 144.52 KB)

* IMG_0015.jpg (Filesize: 120.55 KB)

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 05:09:54 PM
I give all the blame to Loopcutter  :rant: for the following mod. Got tired of replacing shrink wrap on Leatherman’s scissors on my wingman so I replaced them with some real Victorinox scissors. Not only do they lock up perfectly like the old scissors, but the nail nick is also accessible.  Now I am completely content with my Wingman..

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 06:06:06 PM
Even better, pa :drool: :like: :like:

SAK scissors are the best :dd: :like:

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 06:19:53 PM
Now that is great modification 👍

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%