Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All The Flashlights I Need

us Offline BlindFarmer

All The Flashlights I Need
on: January 17, 2024, 07:13:04 PM
I am a big fan on Maglite. I tend to be brand loyal and if an item works for me, no need to explore a bleeding edge brand. I switch between the three on the bottom as EDC light. The one on the top is for when I need to light up the night. All are bone stock, Made In USA, and being a Maglite, are made well. All have that adjustable beam. From bottom to top: Warm white spectrum 1xAAA Solitaire, XL50 3xAAA warm white, 2xAA warm white, M300L 4D LED. No goofy flash and flicker modes. With the batteries being the format they are, you can get them anywhere. You can use alkaline, lithium, or rechargeable nickel metal. I wish Maglite made a headlamp. The 4D M300L is designed to run in eco mode for 17 days if need be. Fun stuff.

* IMG_20240117_124459633.jpg (Filesize: 71.56 KB)
When all else fails, go for the joke - Paul

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: All The Flashlights I Need
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 07:23:31 PM
I am also a fan of Maglite.  I have a 2C and had a XL50 as well as many Solitaires.  I don't use them much these days to be truthful tho.  I am having way to much fun with Anduril and keychain power houses. 

I never had any issues with my Maglites.  My 2C has been with me since early 2000s.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 07:25:01 PM
Just realized I also have a 2AA in my truck.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 04:37:15 AM
I have several Maglites, and they are good quality.  Sometimes I use them around the house.

But I ultimately realized that I wanted the following from an EDC light:
- Pocket sized
- Beam balanced between spot & flood, but fixed is fine, doesn’t need to be adjustable
- A turbo/maximum brightness mode of at least 1500 lumens (more is better).  It’s OK if it can only operate at this level for a relatively short period of time continuously due to thermal constraints.  I just need to be able to light up a dark alley, clearly illuminate the equipment at the top of a 40’ power pole, be able to find that next trail blaze at night, etc.
- A moonlight/eco/ultralow mode of 1 lumen or less, with a runtime of at least 500 hours (more is better).  I find this a good level for up close activities such as reading, middle-of-the-night bathroom trips, etc.  It can be left on all night as a nightlight over the course of a several-week trip.  It is enough light to navigate by if your eyes are well adjusted to the dark.
- A couple of brightness modes in between the previously mentioned two, for general use, typical nighttime navigation, etc.
- Impact resistant and functionally waterproof
- One flashing mode is useful (I like it when walking through a dark parking lot or near a road at night), but it isn’t a hard requirement.  Multiple flashing modes, like SOS, beacon, and strobe options on the same light seems like kind of a waste, especially when weighed against the potential for additional brightness levels instead of more flashing modes.
- Pocket clip and lanyard hole
- External USB-C charging port

These requirements have led modern 21700-powered lights to be my go-to options, At least until something better comes along.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 04:05:46 PM
 :like:

There has been way to much advancement in flashlights for me to not try whats out there.  Having done that it was clear for me that I could fulfill so many areas with a very little light. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD