Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacing scales on 1984 Champion

Offline AdamF

Replacing scales on 1984 Champion
on: January 19, 2024, 08:53:48 PM
Hello from the UK. First post on here after discovering this awesome forum!

I was lucky to be given a Victorinox Champion (as it was then called) in around 1984 when I was 10 years old. Maybe 1983. Bought by my parents as a present for me on a summer holiday to Switzerland.

After 40 years of using the Champion, I recently bought a wooden Huntsman which I love and am interested in a number of other SAKs. I think I've been bitten by the collector bug, SAK GAS whatever you want to call it.

My old Champion is in reasonable condition after 40 years (!) but I'd like to clean it up, get some new tweezers which I lost years ago, and especially replace the scales which are quite worn and damaged. I understand that the Champion was replaced by the Swiss Champ in around 1986. Does anyone know if the readily available 91mm scales would fit a 1984 Champion or would there be any issues with the fit if I try to replace them?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

gb Offline gra_farmer

Re: Replacing scales on 1984 Champion
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 09:26:35 PM
Hello from the UK. First post on here after discovering this awesome forum!

I was lucky to be given a Victorinox Champion (as it was then called) in around 1984 when I was 10 years old. Maybe 1983. Bought by my parents as a present for me on a summer holiday to Switzerland.

After 40 years of using the Champion, I recently bought a wooden Huntsman which I love and am interested in a number of other SAKs. I think I've been bitten by the collector bug, SAK GAS whatever you want to call it.

My old Champion is in reasonable condition after 40 years (!) but I'd like to clean it up, get some new tweezers which I lost years ago, and especially replace the scales which are quite worn and damaged. I understand that the Champion was replaced by the Swiss Champ in around 1986. Does anyone know if the readily available 91mm scales would fit a 1984 Champion or would there be any issues with the fit if I try to replace them?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same issue with the same model, and sent my champ in for a service direct to victorinox, it's cost me £9.98 (flat rate) for the service and expecting it back in the next month... normally takes between 6 to 12 weeks.  You can tell them what you want, and they are really good.

I'll update when I get it back

Offline AdamF

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 09:35:23 PM
I have the same issue with the same model, and sent my champ in for a service direct to victorinox, it's cost me £9.98 (flat rate) for the service and expecting it back in the next month... normally takes between 6 to 12 weeks.  You can tell them what you want, and they are really good.

I'll update when I get it back
Thanks for the reply. Would be really interested to know how the Vic service goes. Presumably they are cleaning it up as well as replacing the scales? £9.98 sounds like a bargain!

Are you replacing red scales with new red ones or going for a different colour? That would be a tricky decision for me - do I restore my old Champion to its original appearance or take the opportunity to change colour? I found new scales on ebay (supposedly official Victorinox product) in different colours and would be tempted by the racing green or the yellow scales. Partly because I anticipate acquiring a number of new red celidor SAKs in the near future!

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 11:22:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. Would be really interested to know how the Vic service goes. Presumably they are cleaning it up as well as replacing the scales? £9.98 sounds like a bargain!

Are you replacing red scales with new red ones or going for a different colour? That would be a tricky decision for me - do I restore my old Champion to its original appearance or take the opportunity to change colour? I found new scales on ebay (supposedly official Victorinox product) in different colours and would be tempted by the racing green or the yellow scales. Partly because I anticipate acquiring a number of new red celidor SAKs in the near future!

Replacing the main blade, and other bits too. The scales are the original colour. Waiting to see how it turns out.  At for requesting different scale colours, that I am unsure of..... I'll ask the question?

Offline AdamF

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 10:01:00 AM
Replacing the main blade, and other bits too. The scales are the original colour. Waiting to see how it turns out.  At for requesting different scale colours, that I am unsure of..... I'll ask the question?
Thank you will look out for your update on how it goes.

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 10:33:06 AM
Scales are dead easy to replace and there are plenty of demos on YouTube.

Accessories are readily available, if you are short of tweezers and toothpick, I have spares lying around that I can pop in the post to you.

This is the U.K. service centre, direct or via the store in London:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AdamF

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 03:16:54 PM
Scales are dead easy to replace and there are plenty of demos on YouTube.

Accessories are readily available, if you are short of tweezers and toothpick, I have spares lying around that I can pop in the post to you.

This is the U.K. service centre, direct or via the store in London:

(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for the link and tweezers offer. The replacement scales I found on YouTube also include spare tweezers and toothpick if I go down the route so probably no need to take you up on that but thanks anyway. I gave my Champion a thorough inspection last night after my original post yesterday evening and it all needs a serious clean after 40 years use so a proper service may be the best option!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 03:19:02 PM
Be sure to post a photo when your Champ gets back from its Swiss spa treatment.  We do like photos here.  You made the right choice.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :cheers:

Offline AdamF

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 03:52:17 PM
Just a quick update following my posts above. Grateful for the advice re the Victorinox repair option but I've decided to try replacing the scales and doing a DIY clean/service. I can now see myself expanding my collection and would like to get the hang of replacing scales and servicing my SAKs myself. Trying it first on a 40 Yr old Champion which needs new scales anyway seems like the ideal opportunity to give it a try.

I've ordered some plus scales on ebay which come with a matching colour  accessories kit (pin, tweezers, toothpick, pen, mini SD). I couldn't decide which colour for my old Champion so I ordered red, blue and black and will keep the two sets I don't use for future repairs or mods. Would welcome views on which colour I should use for my 40 yr old Champion - classic red or have a change with black or blue? I'm thinking black but I guess a blue Champion would be more unusual...

Any specific cleaning/oiling tips also welcome!

Posting photos on this forum for the first time so hope they work OK.

Offline AdamF

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 04:02:40 PM
Re-posting one of the above photos as a jpeg attachment as I think the quality will be better than uploading the image via the Taptalk app...?

* 20240126_105653.jpg (Filesize: 144.97 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 04:54:09 PM
   That's a nice rough one, for sure.  Maybe you can have some fun tinkering with it.  Sending it back and getting a like new one in return for very few bucks appealed to me.  I applaud the do-it-yourself type though.  A very good piece of material for a winter project.  A good clean with some metal polish work and a new set of scales will make the old thing look completely different. I think I might vote for black.   :D Best wishes.  Gary
 :tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 05:01:23 PM by IMR4198 »

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 06:14:22 PM
I second that vote for black in the absence of green (my favorite color  :D).

I recommend using a narrow brush and some warm soapy water to clean it up.  If you have any spots showing rust on the file, I recommend using a brass brush to clean that off.  A set like this includes a plastic, a brass, and steel bristled brush.  This is what I use when I'm cleaning up a SAK.

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner you could use that as well.  I use both the ultrasonic cleaner and a plastic bristled brush if the SAK is very dirty.  Provided I don't want to disassemble the SAK, I'll scrub it with soapy water, rinse it off, and then put it in an ultrasonic bath for about 8-10 minutes.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

Offline AdamF

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 06:28:35 PM
Thanks for the responses and helpful cleaning advice. It's certainly not in great shape! But after 40 years, with lots of use when I was younger and not much if any maintenance, I guess that's not surprising!

I'm sure I would get a better result if I sent it back to Victorinox for service/repair but to be honest I'm on the acquisition trail for a few new SAKs to add to my recent Huntsman Wood purchase. So I will have some shiny new ones anyway - which I plan to look after much better!

The old Champion has more sentimental value so it just seems like the ideal opportunity to practise/learn some new cleaning, repair and replacement scales skills. And hopefully restore some of its former glory. I think I will go with the black plus scales.

I will post the results before long hopefully. (As long as I don't ruin all three sets of new scales that I have ordered!).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 06:40:31 PM
Thats a great project on a sentimental SAK.  I use warm soapy water and cotton swabs, toothpicks with paper towel, and anything else that gets into the hard to reach spaces.  As AzteCypher mentioned get the rust off the file or anywhere you see it. 

You can use a hair dryer to dry the SAK, canned air, compressed air, or back to the paper towels to dry the SAK.  I like a food grade oil for my SAKs.  I use mineral oil and Victorinox also sells their own.  I think its mineral oil tho?  A little goes a long way. 

Can't wait to see pics when its all done.   :popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline AdamF

Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 07:23:28 PM
Thank you! More great cleaning advice which I will definitely use.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the other SAK pictured above (which I used to help remove the old Champion scales) is a Felco branded Victorinox which I acquired as a free extra when purchasing a Felco gardening pruning saw about 15 years ago. (I love Felco products too - more great Swiss engineering and quality!). I believe it's a Sportsman.

I don't think you can buy a Felco branded Sportsman these days so it's another nice one to have in my now growing collection. Though it's had quite a lot of use/abuse with gardening use over the last 15 years so also isn't in the best condition!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2024, 07:26:54 PM
A well used SAK is a well loved SAK.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline AdamF

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2024, 07:30:21 PM
I second that vote for black in the absence of green (my favorite color  :D).

I recommend using a narrow brush and some warm soapy water to clean it up.  If you have any spots showing rust on the file, I recommend using a brass brush to clean that off.  A set like this includes a plastic, a brass, and steel bristled brush.  This is what I use when I'm cleaning up a SAK.

(Image removed from quote.)

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner you could use that as well.  I use both the ultrasonic cleaner and a plastic bristled brush if the SAK is very dirty.  Provided I don't want to disassemble the SAK, I'll scrub it with soapy water, rinse it off, and then put it in an ultrasonic bath for about 8-10 minutes.
Hi AzteCypher. I just checked out ultrasonic cleaners on Amazon. We don't currently own one but for the equivalebt price of e.g. a new Climber this looks like it could be a good investment for future SAK cleaning, glasses cleaning (never easy manually), wife's/daughters' jewellery etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2024, 07:39:52 PM
Wife and daughter would be so stoked getting their jewelry so clean thats for sure.  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2024, 11:07:23 PM
Happich Simichrome has been used for years to polish knife blades, etc.  You might find some use for it during your work.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :cheers:

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 12:40:01 AM
I forgot to mention the mineral oil.   :facepalm:

Don't use popcorn butter.  It doesn't.. uh... work the same.  :D
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 12:44:30 AM
 :popcorn:

cz Offline Vinz Clortho

• No Life Club
  • ♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2024, 09:02:01 AM
exp((-(((x-4)^2+(y-4)^2)^2))/999)+exp((-(((x+4)^2+(y+4)^2)^2))/999)+0.1*exp(-(((x+4)^2+(y+4)^2)^2))+0.1*exp(-(((x-4)^2+(y-4)^2)^2))

us Offline DavZell

Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 07:17:54 PM
Don't use popcorn butter.  It doesn't.. uh... work the same.  :D

You could have told me before I cut my tongue!
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 11:06:01 PM
I only hope you don't have to speak with forked tongue now!  :think:  :D  :rofl:
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21