Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Splicing LM bit holder into Alox - ever been done?

fi Offline Blunt Object

Splicing LM bit holder into Alox - ever been done?
on: January 21, 2024, 01:15:46 PM
I'm not even 1/10 way through SAK mods thread, but I have to ask. Is there a Leathernox/Vicman Franken-SAK with the LM flat bit holder in it? Is it even possible? Would it require a custom part? I've seen Charge/Surge handles turned into pocket knives with the bit holder, which I think is the next best thing. But an Alox SAK with non-Vic bit holder is something to think about. Tvose flat bits are so handy! Awl & bit holder at one end, blade & scissors & saw (or just the saw instead of the blade) and no openers... I can see myself paying for that tool. Although I regularly pay for any and every nice tool anyway  :think:
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Splicing LM bit holder into Alox - ever been done?
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 03:12:41 PM
I'm not even 1/10 way through SAK mods thread, but I have to ask. Is there a Leathernox/Vicman Franken-SAK with the LM flat bit holder in it? Is it even possible? Would it require a custom part? I've seen Charge/Surge handles turned into pocket knives with the bit holder, which I think is the next best thing. But an Alox SAK with non-Vic bit holder is something to think about. Tvose flat bits are so handy! Awl & bit holder at one end, blade & scissors & saw (or just the saw instead of the blade) and no openers... I can see myself paying for that tool. Although I regularly pay for any and every nice tool anyway  :think:
You may need custom made holder since LM bitdriver is big and pivot size is huge compared to Victorinox. I tested tha you could use LM removable bitdriver to Vic Phillips its bit loose but still usable, also it fit to flathead if grind little thinner. There is also 3d printed holders for flatheads.

Here is picture of my 2 holders other is no branded holder and other is LM removable bitholder. If you make small stuffing it will become tighter and it stays in place better.

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 03:27:27 PM
Thanks, thought so. The point was using the flat LM bits with a non-pliers platform, like a folder. Wouldn't even have to pivot, the bit holder could just be there. Just a silly idea to maximize the number of bits that can be carried in a single pouch. Being flat and double headed, yet strong enough for light work and with that handy bitkit carrier I think I could do without 1/4 bits and holder.

Anyway, I my have found the answer in the Skeletool.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 03:44:01 PM
Thanks, thought so. The point was using the flat LM bits with a non-pliers platform, like a folder. Wouldn't even have to pivot, the bit holder could just be there. Just a silly idea to maximize the number of bits that can be carried in a single pouch. Being flat and double headed, yet strong enough for light work and with that handy bitkit carrier I think I could do without 1/4 bits and holder.

Anyway, I my have found the answer in the Skeletool.
I recommend get https://www.shapeways.com/product/MBW9XP6VR/leatherman-skeletool-hammer-jammer?optionId=330282780&li=marketplace to it. It gives option to use 1/4” bits as flatbits too. I have that model and i like it lot.

Only Tools Matters

Online ComboTool

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 06:04:26 PM
It can probably be done, but it would be a lot of work and quite expensive. It requires at least reshaping the pivot/locking part, filling the pivot hole then redrilling to 3mm and of course you would need 2 or 3 scissor backsprings. And then the debugging begins...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%