Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a unique messenger bag

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Looking for a unique messenger bag
on: January 26, 2024, 07:14:29 PM
Ok, maybe someone might have an idea of what I’m after, I’ve spent a few hours looking both yesterday and today, but I just can’t seem to find that “just right” bag! This is what I’m currently using, just a simple cross body bag with a few extras to give it personality, I’ve found a few bags yet they no longer manufacture them, go fig, that and the cost on them when they did make them were through the roof! So I kinda came up with an idea, I kinda like the military style yet I thought maybe a simple messenger bag would work, but I’d like it with some extras to it rather then the simple bag with a flap, yeah I’d like just a simple flap with no inside pockets on it so I could sew Velcro and patches on it, but I’d also like it where I can move the main strap to diff rings and then loop it to a handle or something and turn it into a backpack if I had to carry it for a long time, Molle on the sides would be a plus, I would prefer the simple flap, but if it had Molle on it I suppose I could make a solid Velcro panel I could use to put patches on? Here’s a pic of a few and one I quickly made up to give an idea as to what I’m kinda after, any ideas? I’m also trying to keep the price low if possible,, thanks..
JR

* IMG_3124.jpg (Filesize: 112.43 KB)

* IMG_3115.jpg (Filesize: 85.99 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline tom q vaxy

Re: Looking for a unique messenger bag
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 07:28:49 PM
not sure where you've been looking, but don't discount Chrome, Tom Bihn, or Timbuktu.

if you are able & willing to modify, seems like a lot of bags could be pressed into service.

Tom Bihn Maker Bag was the middle ground Goldilocks bag for me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 07:38:11 PM
Have you seen the Swiss Bread Bags?  I looked for one when I first became aware of them.  I was also looking for something similar from US surplus at the flea market but nothing really wanting to buy. 

Indiana Jones comes to mind when I thought of great bags.  I have a great bag made by Duluth Trading Co.  I appreciate the amount of organization it has.  The zippered pocket in the back is a nice space to secure items.  I do like the open space too.  Over all its a great bag tho somewhat large IMO for a daily bag. 

* IMG_9867.jpg (Filesize: 107.03 KB)

* IMG_9868.jpg (Filesize: 90.14 KB)

* IMG_9869.jpg (Filesize: 75.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 07:50:29 PM
not sure where you've been looking, but don't discount Chrome, Tom Bihn, or Timbuktu.

if you are able & willing to modify, seems like a lot of bags could be pressed into service.

Tom Bihn Maker Bag was the middle ground Goldilocks bag for me.
Another vote for Chrome. I got a small one and it is very nice. Used when cycling and also as a gun pack when competing.
They are not military style though, more for the urban cyclist crowd I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 07:59:54 PM
that your bag looks like Mil-Tec Sling Bag

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 08:08:55 PM
I've picked up a Timbuk2 bag and Alpaca Tech Case fairly recently both of which are terrific.

I have a Wenger, Voodoo Tactical ( tan bag ) , and no name ( black bag with velcro ).  I love the idea of a bag for daily carry but its not something I'm doing.  I do bring the bag but leave in the car.  Yes, for someone who is not carrying a bag daily I do have a few  :D.   

I just now looked at Chrome and will be on the lookout for those  ;).  Thanks for mentioning them.     

* IMG_9870.jpg (Filesize: 83.77 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 08:40:07 PM
Actually the Polish Army issue "bread bag" cuts it pretty close, plus not bad for $30, it just doesn’t have the lower D-rings to turn it into a backpack,,
JR

* IMG_3129.jpg (Filesize: 78.37 KB)
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 09:12:05 PM
 :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 09:16:08 PM
Ok, maybe someone might have an idea of what I’m after, I’ve spent a few hours looking both yesterday and today, but I just can’t seem to find that “just right” bag! This is what I’m currently using, just a simple cross body bag with a few extras to give it personality, I’ve found a few bags yet they no longer manufacture them, go fig, that and the cost on them when they did make them were through the roof! So I kinda came up with an idea, I kinda like the military style yet I thought maybe a simple messenger bag would work, but I’d like it with some extras to it rather then the simple bag with a flap, yeah I’d like just a simple flap with no inside pockets on it so I could sew Velcro and patches on it, but I’d also like it where I can move the main strap to diff rings and then loop it to a handle or something and turn it into a backpack if I had to carry it for a long time, Molle on the sides would be a plus, I would prefer the simple flap, but if it had Molle on it I suppose I could make a solid Velcro panel I could use to put patches on? Here’s a pic of a few and one I quickly made up to give an idea as to what I’m kinda after, any ideas? I’m also trying to keep the price low if possible,, thanks..
JR

FWIW, I've been lugging the 5.11 Rush 12 for just over a decade, work, travel, and EDC, also day hikes. I got the messenger bag ("multifunctional" in your picture) in size M so I wouldn't have to keep packing and unpacking my work stuff. Turned out I just couldn't get used to carrying a shoulder bag. And the two-dimensionality was a deal breaker - with a laptop and files, there was never enough room for anything bulky or non-flat objects. For all its tacticool features, it's essentially a briefcase. Way too many compartments and zippers, and nothing would fit!

But it was very solid and well made, just what I had come to expect from 5.11. Still, my next bag will also be a backpack.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 09:28:24 PM
You can always modify.  You know how to  sew and because these bags were meant to carry messenger style ( over the shoulder ) I'm thinking you just might not see one thats a back pack.  Good luck either way. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 10:01:59 PM
See I’d rather have one that is an old school, military canvas, kinda worn in, and is good to take the abuse, yet at the same time one with a little new school design, not a one simple large pouch, something with a few pockets, Molle would be nice, and the dual carry would really be nice, that Polish bread bag kinda nails it, it’s not super stiff, a simple flap, and has a few pouches inside, I found this pic which has a backpack carrying system, it doesn’t have Molle which I would like on the sides in order to hook up a few things,,
I mean yeah I can always sew a few things but the less the better,,
JR

* IMG_3131.jpg (Filesize: 131.57 KB)

* IMG_3130.jpg (Filesize: 139.68 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 12:52:24 AM
That looks the part. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 04:26:23 PM
I found the carry system I’ve been after, the top one is right on! This other way was something I’ve always liked, it’s called “The Molle Panel” instead of a flap style messenger bag, you pretty much turn it inside out, just wear all mini molle bags strapped to a panel and turn the panel into a shoulder bag or backpack, just take D-ring clips and put them on whatever corner and hook a strap to it, only thing is I don’t think this ever hit the market, cause I could never find one, I’d just cover the one side with all the mini bags and then make a Velcro molle panel for the other and cover it with patches, but to carry just pick how I feel and either make it a sling or a backpack, on the mini bag side put a patch on each to identify what’s in it, like a red medical cross on the mini fak,
JR

* IMG_3167.jpg (Filesize: 81.37 KB)

* IMG_3170.jpg (Filesize: 76.52 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 07:35:26 PM
Nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00