Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New, from UK

Offline gravelmonkey

• New User
New, from UK
on: January 28, 2024, 01:59:14 PM
Hi folks! New member here, based in the UK.

Joined to ask questions and generally hang out, got the multi-tool bug last year.

Tool history:
Growing up, I used an inherited SAK from my dad, looks like a Vic tinker but says Husky on the side  :dunno:.

Before eBay UK banned blades, I bought a LM Charge TTI from the USA (2006/2007?). Price was quite reasonable, since then the price to buy one delivered to UK has shot up enormously, I'm hesitant to use it for fear of breaking it!

C.2012? Bought a LM Squirt PS for my keys. Absolutely wonderful tool, unfortunately after forgetting it on my keychain, I subsequently lost it to Colombia airport security in 2016. Bought another while visiting Canada in 2017 as the price was cheaper than the UK. Scissors spring has snapped and I'm reluctant to send it in for repair as I know they'll just replace with a Micra..

In 2017, work bought all employees a LM wingman as a Christmas bonus, it's a nice enough tool, especially given I didn't pay for it!

Wanted a compact pliers based tool for work and taking on hikes etc, settled on a SOG powerlitre. I gifted that to a guy in Africa who wanted it for the bottle opener function! Subsequently bought another as it's a decent tool.

Nov 2023 received Nextool flagship mini, to replace the Squirt PS, it's a nice enough tool, the lateral play in the handles while closed and a sharp burr on one of the pivot screws annoy me though.

Jan 2024 received Daicamping DL30, the pivot is super gritty and the file catches on the handle scales when closing it, I guess it was cheap though...

Also recently got the Nextool mini sailor and sailor scissors, these are really good tools for the price. Now just need to find excuses to use them!

The DL30 is lower quality than I had hoped, given all the rave reviews, maybe I just got a bad one. It's also a bit bigger than I anticipated.

Currently on the lookout for a wave sized tool, the Nextool Captain has caught my eye as the 4 main outside tools are Blade, Saw, scissors, file, which is an unusual combination. Can't find any reviews so hesitant to buy one.

Anyway, look forward to participating in the future, I'll upload some pics of the collection when I get a chance.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: New, from UK
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:45:53 PM
Hi folks! New member here, based in the UK.

Joined to ask questions and generally hang out, got the multi-tool bug last year.

Tool history:
Growing up, I used an inherited SAK from my dad, looks like a Vic tinker but says Husky on the side  :dunno:.

Before eBay UK banned blades, I bought a LM Charge TTI from the USA (2006/2007?). Price was quite reasonable, since then the price to buy one delivered to UK has shot up enormously, I'm hesitant to use it for fear of breaking it!

C.2012? Bought a LM Squirt PS for my keys. Absolutely wonderful tool, unfortunately after forgetting it on my keychain, I subsequently lost it to Colombia airport security in 2016. Bought another while visiting Canada in 2017 as the price was cheaper than the UK. Scissors spring has snapped and I'm reluctant to send it in for repair as I know they'll just replace with a Micra..

In 2017, work bought all employees a LM wingman as a Christmas bonus, it's a nice enough tool, especially given I didn't pay for it!

Wanted a compact pliers based tool for work and taking on hikes etc, settled on a SOG powerlitre. I gifted that to a guy in Africa who wanted it for the bottle opener function! Subsequently bought another as it's a decent tool.

Nov 2023 received Nextool flagship mini, to replace the Squirt PS, it's a nice enough tool, the lateral play in the handles while closed and a sharp burr on one of the pivot screws annoy me though.

Jan 2024 received Daicamping DL30, the pivot is super gritty and the file catches on the handle scales when closing it, I guess it was cheap though...

Also recently got the Nextool mini sailor and sailor scissors, these are really good tools for the price. Now just need to find excuses to use them!

The DL30 is lower quality than I had hoped, given all the rave reviews, maybe I just got a bad one. It's also a bit bigger than I anticipated.

Currently on the lookout for a wave sized tool, the Nextool Captain has caught my eye as the 4 main outside tools are Blade, Saw, scissors, file, which is an unusual combination. Can't find any reviews so hesitant to buy one.

Anyway, look forward to participating in the future, I'll upload some pics of the collection when I get a chance.
First and foremost welcome, glad to have you as part of our community. You've had some good tools over the years, I'm not sure if the Captain would be a good choice considering it's much larger than a wave. The Captain is more of a Surge sized multitool. Maybe a SwissTech Praktisch multitool is Wave sized and quality is in line with Nextool and other manufacturers. Here is a pic of the Captain next to SwissTech and a Wave. The Nextool Sailer Pro is another option.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 04:09:28 PM
Welcome aboard, got my first anything which was a SAK from my grandfather, but if you got “the bug” and are going to be hanging out on here I highly recommend putting your credit cards and cash in a container of water and freezing it!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 11:07:23 PM
Welcome to  :MTO:  :cheers:

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 05:39:35 AM
Welcome!!  :hatsoff:

And I agree on Mad Plumbarian's statement.  "Hide yer cash and yer cards!"
Or you'll be spending more money than you should and your spouse will be hunting you down.  :oops:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 01:25:01 PM
Welcome aboard, nice intro!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 05:03:52 PM
Welcome!

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 02:00:38 PM
Welcome!  :hatsoff: :woohoo: :hatsoff:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Offline gravelmonkey

• New User
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 10:24:20 PM
Hi all! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Forgot my vic ?outrider? I acquired in 2014, I don't carry it much due to UK laws re. Locking blades.

Also forgot my CountyComm Boker Tech Tool with the green glowing scales, from around 2021/2022. The serrated knife at a weird angle is a bit odd, otherwise I like the tool a lot.

Out of the country at the moment, will grab some pics when I'm home, in the meantime, I'll lurk in the EDC Bit ratchet thread  :whistle:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 11:32:03 PM
Welcome aboard gm !   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 11:52:05 PM
You're already off the a great start.  Welcome to MTO and thanks for joining. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 03:01:58 PM
Welcome GM  :tu:
Gabba gabba hey!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!