Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024

us Offline marlowe221

Re: The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024
Reply #30 on: March 04, 2024, 10:12:13 PM
What about a Swiss Sportsman?  :pok:

Do what now?  :think:

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 05, 2024, 02:12:58 AM
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #32 on: March 05, 2024, 05:23:23 AM
Ah, well I guess I had the Victorinox Sportsman in mind. But I see no reason not to include the Evolution 10 or Wenger Commander - it’s the same basic tool set.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 09, 2024, 04:01:45 PM
I think the actual Swiss Sportsman from Wenger has scissors doesn't it?  Scissors would be the one tool I'll miss most on a Vx Sportsman challenge. 

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2024, 09:36:22 PM
Sportsman you say.

Is there a badge for that?

Carry a Tinker Small most days so would be an easy one for me.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #35 on: March 09, 2024, 10:16:39 PM
Oh heck I vote for a little diversity, equity (same name!) and inclusion!  Adds a little variety to us sporty types, eh?

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #36 on: March 09, 2024, 10:21:59 PM
Sportsman you say.

It's a worthy knife.  Not terribly different from a small Tinker but if you play guitar or do things that require some nail care, it or a cadet is worth having.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #37 on: March 10, 2024, 02:33:51 AM
Sportsman you say.

Absolutely no idea! I also don’t know who to beg for a badge if there isn’t one.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 10, 2024, 03:05:01 AM
There was a Tween (84mm/85mm) SAK Challenge that ran in June 2023.  A badge was created for it, and completing this Sportsman Challenge should qualify for that badge (assuming you don’t already have it).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #40 on: March 10, 2024, 05:41:38 AM
There was a Tween (84mm/85mm) SAK Challenge that ran in June 2023.  A badge was created for it, and completing this Sportsman Challenge should qualify for that badge (assuming you don’t already have it).

Yep already scored that one.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #41 on: March 14, 2024, 10:29:42 AM
Absolutely no idea! I also don’t know who to beg for a badge if there isn’t one.

I believe Whoey is the badge maker for this forum, flick him a message and see if a new badge is a doable thing  :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #42 on: March 14, 2024, 04:19:46 PM
I'm happy to message anyone and say "pretty please with sugar on top?" but.... Don't we have to have a minimum of 10 people in the challenge to qualify?

Or am I imagining that rule?  :dunno:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 14, 2024, 04:44:13 PM
  During the 108mm challenge, we never really had an official list.  Just a list of people who had showed some interest at one point.  When the challenge began, I don't think there were 10 people.  Maybe eight.  I remember hearing the 10 member rule, but don't know how it got started.
  I tried to send you a PM or two about the badge business, but maybe you didn't get them.  The discontinued SAK challenge that Lazar started only has three or four in the posts.  There is a badge for discontinued SAKs but with a starting a thread and 30 days of posts requirement.  Some badges need a take part in a challenge element.  I have no say in the matter, but do wonder.  Best wishes.  G
 :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 04:50:09 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #44 on: March 14, 2024, 06:39:20 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't see the PMs! I normally get an email when I get one but maybe gmail got overenthusiastic about trying to protect me....

I will read them and investigate and inquire further!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #45 on: March 16, 2024, 04:36:32 AM
Am I crazy or have I seen folks doing badge challenges by them selves in the past?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 16, 2024, 04:54:02 AM
Am I crazy or have I seen folks doing badge challenges by them selves in the past?
My understanding is that, depending on the requirements of each specific badge, it is possible to earn some existing badges by oneself.

However, if one is requesting a new challenge badge be created that does not already exist, then a minimum of ten members must participate in the challenge for a new badge to be created.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #47 on: March 17, 2024, 01:23:58 PM
My understanding is that, depending on the requirements of each specific badge, it is possible to earn some existing badges by oneself.

However, if one is requesting a new challenge badge be created that does not already exist, then a minimum of ten members must participate in the challenge for a new badge to be created.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense.

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #48 on: March 20, 2024, 01:36:46 PM
During the Classic Challenge I found I really liked the file (mine is the old style/not serrated) and used it more than I thought I would.  I also had not paid any attention to a Sportsman.  When this Challenge was “floated out” I started looking at the Sportsman and decided I must buy one, mainly due the included file.  I rarely use the small blade unless cutting the cork wrapper off a wine bottle.  The glass is sort of tough on the blade.  Bought the latest edition Sportsman, but, disliked the serrated file and returned it.   Found a couple used ones and bought them.  I pocket the Sportsman most mornings unless it is some type of special day that feels like a Huntsman or Workchamp is required.

Hoping we can find the required 10 participants.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 20, 2024, 02:40:47 PM
    I would like to see the challenge reach ten participants.  Of course I don't have a Sportsman.  I do have a Wenger Evo S10 or whatever they called them.  85mm.  Big blade, nail file, can opener, cap lifter/screwdriver, awl, corkscrew.  So unless the SAK fairy drops a Sportsman out of the sky into my mailbox, that is what I have available.
    There was some talk of letting in the out-of-town relatives to Sportsman.  Let me know what you decide.  Current sign-up members as well as Marlowe.  All participants get a vote.  No hard feeling either way.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #50 on: March 20, 2024, 10:38:20 PM
Looking through this thread, it looks like there are 5 on the list.  If I am wrong please correct me.  What about GA1dad and his wenger.  At least it is named Sportsman.  The SAK Sportsman is so close to other 2 layer SAKs, what models do you have in mind IMR?

I would like to do another 30 day challenge.  I had a lot of fun on my first.
Also, IIRC someone mentioned a tween 84/85 challenge.  Is using that badge off limits?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 10:49:58 PM by Jeffjeeptj »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 20, 2024, 11:26:11 PM
   As far as badges, it seems that anyone who completes this challenge would be eligible for the Tween 84/85 badge.  Some already have that badge.  I think Marlowe does, so he couldn't get another. 
   If somewhere close to 10 sign up, then there would be a new Sportsman badge.  All would be eligible.  There weren't 10 in the 108 challenge and we all got a new badge.  I counted the first couple of days and there weren't 10.  After that I forgot about it and just did my posts.  If there was no new badge authorized for the 108 challenge, I planned on trying to get the Vintage SAK badge, since my Trooper was pre-1986.  However we did get a new badge. 
    I thought of using my Wenger Evo S10.  Same tool set as a Vic Sportsman, (more or less) and 1mm difference in length of the scales. I wouldn't have offered that as a substitute, but someone else brought up the possibility.  That way Marlowe (and maybe others) could have a badge if I could help to make the 10 participant goal.
    The Wenger eligibility is still up in the air.  I would be happy with a "just the Vic Sportsman is eligible" decision.   Whether or not I am in, most of you could still apply for the Tween 84/85 badge.  Read the requirements for yourself and see what you think.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #52 on: March 21, 2024, 02:29:41 AM
Marlowe - the Sportsman seems unique because of the file.  Research shows the Cadet has a file,  Would adding the Cadet be viable and get us to 10?  May not be acceptable because of Alox?

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #53 on: March 21, 2024, 04:36:20 AM
Personally, I’m in favor of including the Wenger/Evo models with the same tool set as the Vic Sportsman.

The actual Wenger Sportsman though… didn’t that one have scissors? Seems like kind of a different beast. I mean, no scissors and no small blade is kind of a big part of the “challenge” that a Vic Sportsman presents.

The Cadet - I don’t really know. Never thought about my opinion on that. Don’t we already have a Cadet Challenge? Also, you’re losing the back tools and scale tools versus the cellidor versions…  :dunno:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 21, 2024, 02:37:43 PM
   For some reason I thought you had the Tween badge, Marlowe.  I see you are still eligible.  With only 5 members in, that would be a good way to get your badge.  Same for the others, I think. 
    No reason for me to jump in.  Spring is here and lots to do besides post here.  There is a great group of participants in your challenge and it should be lots of fun.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #55 on: March 21, 2024, 05:56:22 PM
I’m fine with a tween badge

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #56 on: March 21, 2024, 09:47:39 PM
I discovered the Sportsman a few years ago after Vic upgraded it with the new file, and I really like it.

I haven't done a challenge in ages, so this is a good opportunity. I have no objection to include equivalent Wenger models if we want to open that door.

Count me in!

1. marlowe221
2. Myron
3. Bunk Tuppins
4. Jeffjeeptj
5. AndyAaron
6. Brock O Lee
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:39:15 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 22, 2024, 02:17:24 PM
   I didn't see any anti-IMR comment, so I am in too.  Marlowe and I had a lot of fun doing the MiniChamp ordeal.  Best wishes.  G
1. marlowe221
2. Myron
3. Bunk Tuppins
4. Jeffjeeptj
5. AndyAaron
6. Brock O Lee
7. IMR4198

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 23, 2024, 01:33:27 PM
What about GA1dad and his wenger.  At least it is named Sportsman. 

Yeah,,, the Swiss Sportsman really is a completely different critter. I concur that it should not be allowed in "this" challenge. I've already used it in another past challenge.

As for me, for April  I have an eye on possibly participating in the fire starter challenge.

:cheers:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: March 23, 2024, 01:47:59 PM
   I would have like to join in the Firestarter challenge.  Mostly because of the members signed up for it and since Reamer was running it.  I decided that I wouldn't have much to contribute.  No sense in being a boat anchor.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD