Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Re: The Sportsman Challenge - April 2024
Reply #60 on: March 23, 2024, 07:24:25 PM
IMR/Gary, glad to see you are in. I always like your artwork.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: March 23, 2024, 08:40:58 PM
   This will give me an excuse to carry my Evo.  It is currently living in its bubble package.  Not doing anybody good there.  We had some fun in the Classic challenge didn't we Jeff? 
    I plan to start out with the pack on this challenge.  We will see how it goes.  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #62 on: March 24, 2024, 05:34:35 AM
I’m proud to see a couple more additions to the roster!

I am excited to start the challenge in about a week.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: March 24, 2024, 11:53:40 PM
   I looked up the Wenger Evo 10 online.  Lots of nice photos and list of tools.  Usual Spartan type tools with a corkscrew, can opener, blah, blah, blah.  And photos of the nail file. 
   I dug out my unused Wenger Evo 10 and took it out of its package.  Usual Spartan type tools, etc.  But no nail file.  Where the nail file should be is a clip point small blade.  So, the punch line to this woeful joke is... I don't have a knife that qualifies.  I suppose I could Take a Victorinox Tourist I have and cut little cross hatch marks on the small blade with a diamond file to create a fingernail tool?  Well, maybe not.   
   I knew I had a Wenger with a nail file, and I do, but it doesn't have a corkscrew.  So I am out with a disqualification on account of an equipment violation. 
   Have fun fellas.  I will follow the challenge anyway.  And sit on the bench.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :dunno:

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #64 on: March 25, 2024, 01:55:50 AM
   I looked up the Wenger Evo 10 online.  Lots of nice photos and list of tools.  Usual Spartan type tools with a corkscrew, can opener, blah, blah, blah.  And photos of the nail file. 
   I dug out my unused Wenger Evo 10 and took it out of its package.  Usual Spartan type tools, etc.  But no nail file.  Where the nail file should be is a clip point small blade.  So, the punch line to this woeful joke is... I don't have a knife that qualifies.  I suppose I could Take a Victorinox Tourist I have and cut little cross hatch marks on the small blade with a diamond file to create a fingernail tool?  Well, maybe not.   
   I knew I had a Wenger with a nail file, and I do, but it doesn't have a corkscrew.  So I am out with a disqualification on account of an equipment violation. 
   Have fun fellas.  I will follow the challenge anyway.  And sit on the bench.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :dunno:
Sounds like you have an Evo S10, which is equivalent to the Delemont S101.  Small clip point blade instead of file and locking main blade. I have one of those too and love it.  The small clip point beats the heck out of the namby pamby Vic small blade.   My first SAK back in the 60's had a small clip point.

Isn't it time for you to just buy a Sportsman?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:00:53 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: March 25, 2024, 02:56:18 AM
   Yes, it is an S10.  I even called it that in my earlier posts about it.  In case there is somebody out there who doesn't know, that is an Evo 10 with a locking main blade.  And of course, no nail file.  Buying anything just to do a challenge isn't in the cards.  On the bright side, the challenge can be all Victorinox Sportsman without having one odd ball Wenger along.  Best wishes.  G
 :ahhh

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #66 on: March 31, 2024, 09:08:30 PM
The Sportsman Challenge starts tomorrow!

Any last minute sign ups? Think about it while you file that ragged thumbnail with the file on your Sportsman….

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #67 on: March 31, 2024, 09:14:50 PM
Looking forward to that. I had lot of fun during Opinel challenge in March!

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #68 on: April 01, 2024, 07:52:49 AM
Ok, I am going to kick this off.

Day 1
Introduction of the sportsman
Happy Easter everyone!

I have obviously some standard tuning with small screwdriver and a pin. That is a must for all my SAKs…

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #69 on: April 01, 2024, 08:23:52 AM
Welcome to Day 1 of the Sportsman Challenge everyone!

I may be posting a little behind you all due to living in the Pacific time zone. But I’m excited to see this thing get started!

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #70 on: April 01, 2024, 08:53:38 AM
Day 1:

Allow me to introduce you to my Sportsman, acquired in April 2022.

I carry my SAKs with a Nite-Ize S-biner #1 clip, either black or stainless, depending if I wear light or dark pants. I like it because it can also be unclipped from the knife when I use the keyring-side tools. It gets clipped to the corner of the left front pocket, so that it hangs vertically.

The right front pocket is normally home to a modern one hand open folder.

I like the 84mm frame size. It is for all practical purposes just as robust as the 91mm’s in my world. The beefier 93mm’s however were my first love.

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #71 on: April 01, 2024, 01:46:31 PM
Prepping the Sportsman for the Challenge.  A bit of honing to ensure it is fully capable.

IMG_3537.jpg
* IMG_3537.jpg (Filesize: 466.1 KB)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #72 on: April 01, 2024, 04:52:06 PM
I've actually been using this since the the day the challenge was first bruited.   

* 001a.jpg (Filesize: 211.69 KB)

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #73 on: April 01, 2024, 05:14:41 PM
Nice, Bunk.  I see you have the “new” style file.  I am starting to carry the Sportsman much more regularly than the others.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #74 on: April 01, 2024, 06:41:29 PM
Day 1

Here is the primary Sportsman I will be using for this challenge:

IMG_1583.jpg
* IMG_1583.jpg (Filesize: 90.67 KB)

I may toss a Delemont with the same tool set in the mix just for fun though.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #75 on: April 01, 2024, 10:52:56 PM
OK LoopCutter talked me into it. I am IN the challenge.. I have no internet on the weekend.. long story.. so I will often do 2 or three pics at a time ...her we go!

DAY 1

A year ago I bought the Canada Flag Sportsman. I got it more as a novelty. I liked the Canada flag because, you guessed it, I am Canadian.

I mainly carried a black , alox Cadet. I even did a couple reviews of my Cadet. I loved the cadet so much, or so I thought. But time and time again I found myself going to the Sportsman. The Cadet and Sportsman have the same blade, screw drivers and nail file. The sportsman however, has a few extra tools, while remaining roughly the same size. Not to mention , it has a beautiful Canadian flag on it.

Here are the tools on the Sportsman :

Tweezers / Can opener / Screwdriver 3 mm / Bottle opener / Screwdriver 6 mm / Wire stripper / Reamer, punch and sewing awl / Nail file / Nail cleaner / Toothpick / Key ring / Corkscrew / Blade, large

DIMENSIONS
Height: 15 mm

Length: 84 mm

Width: 26 mm

Weight: 52 g

Before I even realized what happened, I started carrying the sportsman more and more. Now I carry it most days of the week

Its an 84mm SAK so it fits great in that little change pocket in my jeans. I am not at all an outdoorsman so I dont need a saw. I LOVE Victorinox scissors but they make it too thick in my pocket. I do carry a little classic SD on my key ring so if I need scissors they are there.

I constantly use the nail file. This new style, I believe it was a Wagner design ( but could be wrong) is way more aggressive. Its fantastic. It does a much better job at filing my nails. My nails grow super fast so I use it often. I find I use the nail file for all sorts of things. I have filed down an old nail with this new mighty design, used it to scrape something from between cracks in the table, or wall. I have used it to pull nails out of a wall, clean my nails, and to scrape away sticky stuff many times. I use the nail file more than any other tool.

The Blade I mostly use to open mail, packages, or to cut string. It a perfect size for the things I do.

I have never been big on corkscrews but then those new little screwdrivers came out that you can put in the cork screw and they are great. On my sportsman I added a little poker into the corkscrew that is great for resetting little electronic devices  or for popping out micro SD cards. Some times you just need a tiny poker for tiny jobs. I have even found uses for the corkscrew .

I then added a red toothpick and red tipped tweezers , and a red lanyard . Now it looks SWEET.

To my surprise I use the toothpick a lot. I have one in my  little SD that is on my key ring BUT I dont always have my keys on me. The cadet didnt have a toothpick so I didnt realize how much I would use it till I got the Sportsman.

I have used the reamer to scrape at things or to punch holes into leather. I use the screwdrivers all the time. I love the flat head to pry things open.

I really like the 2 layer SAKs. they are perfect for me in the office.

SO after a year, the Sportsman has slowly won my heart.

I carry it almost every day. I only swap it out to give other SAKs a day or two pocket time.  I was an alox guy for a long time but it does feel good to once again have the classic red cellidor scales in my pocket. Its even nicer with my Canada flag on it.

* sm3.jpg (Filesize: 70.45 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #76 on: April 01, 2024, 11:46:48 PM
Glad you are here joining the fun.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #77 on: April 02, 2024, 03:21:15 AM
Day 2:

Nasty knot to untie? Corkscrew for the win...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 04:32:00 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #78 on: April 02, 2024, 04:36:33 AM
OK LoopCutter talked me into it. I am IN the challenge.. I have no internet on the weekend.. long story.. so I will often do 2 or three pics at a time ...her we go!

DAY 1

A year ago I bought the Canada Flag Sportsman. I got it more as a novelty. I liked the Canada flag because, you guessed it, I am Canadian.

I mainly carried a black , alox Cadet. I even did a couple reviews of my Cadet. I loved the cadet so much, or so I thought. But time and time again I found myself going to the Sportsman. The Cadet and Sportsman have the same blade, screw drivers and nail file. The sportsman however, has a few extra tools, while remaining roughly the same size. Not to mention , it has a beautiful Canadian flag on it.

Here are the tools on the Sportsman :

Tweezers / Can opener / Screwdriver 3 mm / Bottle opener / Screwdriver 6 mm / Wire stripper / Reamer, punch and sewing awl / Nail file / Nail cleaner / Toothpick / Key ring / Corkscrew / Blade, large

DIMENSIONS
Height: 15 mm

Length: 84 mm

Width: 26 mm

Weight: 52 g

Before I even realized what happened, I started carrying the sportsman more and more. Now I carry it most days of the week

Its an 84mm SAK so it fits great in that little change pocket in my jeans. I am not at all an outdoorsman so I dont need a saw. I LOVE Victorinox scissors but they make it too thick in my pocket. I do carry a little classic SD on my key ring so if I need scissors they are there.

I constantly use the nail file. This new style, I believe it was a Wagner design ( but could be wrong) is way more aggressive. Its fantastic. It does a much better job at filing my nails. My nails grow super fast so I use it often. I find I use the nail file for all sorts of things. I have filed down an old nail with this new mighty design, used it to scrape something from between cracks in the table, or wall. I have used it to pull nails out of a wall, clean my nails, and to scrape away sticky stuff many times. I use the nail file more than any other tool.

The Blade I mostly use to open mail, packages, or to cut string. It a perfect size for the things I do.

I have never been big on corkscrews but then those new little screwdrivers came out that you can put in the cork screw and they are great. On my sportsman I added a little poker into the corkscrew that is great for resetting little electronic devices  or for popping out micro SD cards. Some times you just need a tiny poker for tiny jobs. I have even found uses for the corkscrew .

I then added a red toothpick and red tipped tweezers , and a red lanyard . Now it looks SWEET.

To my surprise I use the toothpick a lot. I have one in my  little SD that is on my key ring BUT I dont always have my keys on me. The cadet didnt have a toothpick so I didnt realize how much I would use it till I got the Sportsman.

I have used the reamer to scrape at things or to punch holes into leather. I use the screwdrivers all the time. I love the flat head to pry things open.

I really like the 2 layer SAKs. they are perfect for me in the office.

SO after a year, the Sportsman has slowly won my heart.

I carry it almost every day. I only swap it out to give other SAKs a day or two pocket time.  I was an alox guy for a long time but it does feel good to once again have the classic red cellidor scales in my pocket. Its even nicer with my Canada flag on it.

Watch out people! We got us a genuine Sportsman expert here!

No pressure but, uh… we expect to learn a lot from you this month.

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #79 on: April 02, 2024, 08:13:27 AM

The Sportsman Challenge starts tomorrow!

Any last minute sign ups? Think about it while you file that ragged thumbnail with the file on your Sportsman….

You convinced me. I'd love to sign up if it's not already too late. This will be my first challenge here and it looks like a fun one to get involved with. If I remember right we didn't have such a thing as these monthly challenges when I was last active on the forum, but there's a good chance my memory might be letting me down. What's a decade or so between friends?

Anyway, I also realised that I somehow have quite a few SAKs with the pattern that ought to qualify for participation, I guess that's largely because it was kind of the old Wenger baseline toolset.  I'll have to dig them out and let them see the light of day, or at least get some pocket time!

On day 1 the Sportsman got some use in the kitchen to open up a new packet of mature cheddar, and then proved itself to be an excellent slicer of cheese. Yes, the apple is tiny.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:38:21 AM by Spatha »

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #80 on: April 02, 2024, 02:36:42 PM
Cheese...  :drool:

Tomorrow I'll be cutting some mature English cheddar too.

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #81 on: April 02, 2024, 03:35:33 PM
Cheese...  :drool:

Tomorrow I'll be cutting some mature English cheddar too.

Nice!!!  :facepalm:

Not cutting cheese here, not filing taxes today either.  Just a bit of necessary nail file work.

IMG_3539.jpg
* IMG_3539.jpg (Filesize: 156.51 KB)

cz Offline AndyAaron

Reply #82 on: April 02, 2024, 05:32:07 PM
Day 2
Sportsman doing some sports :)

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #83 on: April 02, 2024, 06:40:35 PM
DAY 2!!!!!!!

* Dd.jpg (Filesize: 72.42 KB)
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #84 on: April 02, 2024, 08:40:06 PM
 :like: :like:    That is a HANDSOME set of scales!
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #85 on: April 02, 2024, 09:44:17 PM
:like: :like:    That is a HANDSOME set of scales!

Thanks!  :)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #86 on: April 02, 2024, 10:39:13 PM
We've all got maple leaf envy.  :iagree:

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #87 on: April 02, 2024, 11:11:07 PM
Seems like we got off to a great start here! I'm very much enjoying everyone's photos and hearing your thoughts about this little Sportsman.

:popcorn:

Day 2 saw the can opener opening a can, but maybe not in quite the way intended. With a little effort I probably could have pried up this recalcitrant ring pull with a finger nail, but it might have ended badly. Soup for tea was actually pretty good with a bit of toast. It was sundried tomato, lentil, and smoked paprika flavour, for those that might be curious.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #88 on: April 03, 2024, 12:37:58 AM
Here is my sportsman with a Delemont EvoGrip 10, which has a very similar tool set.

* 001a.jpg (Filesize: 198.32 KB)

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #89 on: April 03, 2024, 12:43:51 AM
Some people seem to have an aversion to having a can opener on their SAKs in 2024. Apparently because we have pull tabs for all cans these days. I do not understand this reasoning, because it is such a versatile and multi-purpose tool.

I particularly like it as a thin and light pry tool (like you showed above @Spatha), a makeshift hook, or a scraper with the circular edge. Not to mention as a 2D Phillips driver or actual can opener. I still find scenarios where I have to cut open an “old skool” can, or where the modern pull tab broke off. It is one of my favourite tools to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:08:35 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21