Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox scissors on Rebar?

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Victorinox scissors on Rebar?
on: February 06, 2024, 03:13:17 PM
I know that you can addd Vic scissors to Wave/Charge but is it possible to add those scissors to Rebar? Basicly it same lenght as Rebar blade from pivot but has anyone tried that kind mod? If not i may need to be first and dissamble my Pioneer X (blade have seen bit action and pivot sharpener)

As you can see blade is in rough shape so i might dissamble this one (luckily i have backup Pioneer X and it would be good reason to buy Farmer X)

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Victorinox scissors on Rebar?
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 03:16:57 PM
Also i would appreciate help for dissambling Alox models.

Only Tools Matters

Offline ComboTool

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 07:17:17 PM
Adding Vic scissors to a Wave/Charge is quite easy because it's a liner lock, which by design is quite forgiving. Getting it to work in a Rebar will be more difficult, as you will have to match the locking mechanism more precisely. However, it should be possible if there is enough material at the tang (which I haven't checked).
Disassembling alox is done like the cellidor models but drilling the rivets is more difficult since they're domed (so the drill tends to slip) and they're harder (nickel silver vs brass and even stainless steel for the center one in recent Pioneer X). I recommend using carbide drill bits and going very slowly (if you slip the drill will go deep in the softer aluminium in no time). The redeeming quality of silver alox is that minor scratches don't show much.
Good luck and keep us posted

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 07:58:26 PM
Adding Vic scissors to a Wave/Charge is quite easy because it's a liner lock, which by design is quite forgiving. Getting it to work in a Rebar will be more difficult, as you will have to match the locking mechanism more precisely. However, it should be possible if there is enough material at the tang (which I haven't checked).
Disassembling alox is done like the cellidor models but drilling the rivets is more difficult since they're domed (so the drill tends to slip) and they're harder (nickel silver vs brass and even stainless steel for the center one in recent Pioneer X). I recommend using carbide drill bits and going very slowly (if you slip the drill will go deep in the softer aluminium in no time). The redeeming quality of silver alox is that minor scratches don't show much.
Good luck and keep us posted
Maked some study with  SAK clone scissors (same size and same measurements) it basicly should go if i make pivot bit more front, im gonna tomorrow study bit more. I may just test and maybe keep those clone ones before destroying my PX.

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 08:31:17 PM
While searchin my SAK clone scissors i realized that SAK tools might go easier on Gerber than Leatherman
As you can see you need remove bit material from SAK part to make it fit to Gerber but on LM parts need to move pivot place only bit and it would make pivot an oval or just move more but it would also require taking material away from back.

By just toying around it may be hard but doable but i might again take Gerber route and fit scissor to my CenterMan (maybe need sacrifice saw away to make room for it) or maybe add to MP600 these scissors. But i leave it to tomorrow.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Enginears

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 11:06:36 PM
I have only disassembled a handful of alox models, but have made fatal mistakes and learned a few things. I have started to employ a few steps which resulted in a good result though.

Wrap the knife in painters tape and then take a file to the tops of the rivets in order to create a flat spot at the highest point. Make an x on the flat spot using fine permanent marker and then use a spring loaded punch to create a divot at the center point. Then you can slowly drill the rivet head.

Be sure to use a new bit because if it is dull then the issues compound and keeping it all tidy and precise gets 1000x more difficult.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 09:55:49 AM
I have decided to make scissors for Gerber since it looked easier than modding these to Rebar.

Okay now played bit with Dremel and i was able to do some progress on backside but since i have run out of carbide drills i cannot much progress drilling right size hole to scissors.

Those scissors are from clone SAK.

Work is still in progress, i just need carbode drills to continue. Here are few raw progress.

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD