Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Please help me Id this multi tool

Offline Seth711

• New User
Please help me Id this multi tool
on: February 16, 2024, 03:30:55 AM
 Please help me Id my multi tool I’ve had it forever and am planning on cleaning it but have no idea how to get it apart to do so
All it says on it is Sheffield and pat pending

* IMG_1807.jpg (Filesize: 110.89 KB)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Please help me Id this multi tool
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 06:58:07 AM
Please help me Id my multi tool I’ve had it forever and am planning on cleaning it but have no idea how to get it apart to do so
All it says on it is Sheffield and pat pending
That looks like one of those generic MTs made with different names.

It looks like this

https://www.amazon.sg/Sheffield-12806-Premium-Mini-Tool/dp/B000EFFHNQ

Only Tools Matters

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 01:11:53 PM
    I wouldn't try to take it apart.  Spray it with some WD40 and give the metal parts a good brushing with one of those brushes that have brass bristles.  Should be good to go and ready to provide some more service.  The wood handles are attractive.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 08:51:53 PM
Everyone is right so far.  Sheffield is one of many companies that buys generic knife and tool designs from China, slaps their logos on them and resells them.  It's not a super high quality tool over all, but if you get a decent one, some can last for many years.

Taking it apart will likely involve drilling some rivets out and replacing them, which I don't advise.  WD40 and some brushing (as mentioned above) is likely your best bet.  You can also try using some unwaxed dental floss to clean out the pivots.  When done I usually use some dry lube like powered graphite in the joints to help loosen them up.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 04:03:54 AM
I've had some success with oiling pivots with Tuff-Glide and repeatedly working the tools open and closed, than as the goo oozes out re-applying more Tuff-Glide until it runs clear. 

Some people like to immerse grotty tools in water and dishwashing liquid in an ultrasonic cleaner.  I suggest re-oiling well afterwards if using this technique.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%