Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Battle of bit set carry

fi Offline temo

Battle of bit set carry
on: February 18, 2024, 05:06:56 PM
Do not edc tool and bit set. So mostly carry when know there can be need. But still do not want to take a whole toolbox. Example take in car where I know some tasks may happen.

Finally with LM curl set start to be even edc size for me. So far have used mainly vic spirit plus set. Now curl and one slide of bits is smaller. 20 bit head vs 10 with vic. Again vic uses standard bits so lot more options to carry. But mostly if do not know what is needed, most common hex and torx sizes in set.

A plus for vic, in bike need quote big hex. That is not available with LM. So vic can be set as bike tool as well. Or have to add adapter to LM standard set. Plus standard bit. But again then LM starts to loose side advantage has now, ifadd adapters. Also vic set seperate from tool, could be used with any tool. And this L wrench can do quite heavy tasks exampe with bike and big hex.

Again bits can be modded easily to LM driver. But think do not want to do heavier tasks with bigger bits.

LM curl seems to be great carry with holster provided with curl. Maybe without belt clip even better (think remove that). I think first set with bits could pocket carry as well. Quite much size of skeletool. But with holster and some more tools.

One plus for LM is button closed holster. And as mentioned slimmer now against vic plus holster.

Lähetetty minun SM-F721B laitteesta Tapatalkilla

fi Offline Blunt Object

Re: Battle of bit set carry
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 11:14:54 AM
I've found that for heavier tasks, it's best to simply take a full size tool. EDC size kit has its limitations. Rather that trying to squeeze in the biggest possible hex bit, just take the one (or two) large hex keys and keep them with the bike all the time. That is, if you only need them with the bike.

Out of the two LM bit kit keepers, I only carry one, with all the hex, Phillips, and Torx bits that fit there. Flat head and Robertson are rarely needed. In the Skeletool there's room for two more bits. In my other EDC (bag) items there are more flatheads, so I'm not wanting.

I also have a tiny Bosch ratchet that fits in my LM tool kit pouch, and accepts LM bits. So technically all bases are covered, but size is limiting factor.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

fi Offline temo

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 01:55:21 PM
Tx yes that is one possibility. Have hex in bike. Not with tool. Yes used in seat adjustment etc, so some torque needed. Yes spirit plus has been great bike tool, can do most things just with that. So there is no 14 mm wrench needed even need to take out of wheel.

Mostly vic L wrench is great. And just like that, not EDC but very compact that will be enough for many tasks.

Still LM now is quite Ok carry with one bit set. First to get close to example rebar without a bit set. So for me mainly is bit driver needed or not. It has possibilities and now quite close to decent carry out of the box. So just curl and bit set, select best bits to carry to one holder.

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 01:53:41 PM
I'm not carrying any of these accessories. Just what came with the Arc (one bit kit).

I put the extension and both these kits into the "Insider" sheath and keep them at the house. If I'm not home, I have a ton of tools in my truck.

Most of my tinkering happens at home since I'm retired.

fi Offline temo

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 02:47:20 PM
Yes that is one way. Tool and separate add on sheat. At home I manage well, lot of multools and tools. So EDC kind of need when go to biking hiking visiting mother in law etc. So want to do some things when out. But not going to do things, so just in case something appears.

Also yes like to use at home. Just to test things out. And in reach most of the times.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 03:27:59 PM
I came across this Leatherman bit card and extension\ratchet holder. I bought one to check it out it will be arriving today. https://www.raegearusa.com/product-page/leatherman-bit-kit-extender-sheath?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArfauBhApEiwAeoB7qHKZIuKA9-QRA_yZQ796gszQf-Bcs98R54lCmaMGrSh Most of the time I carry a Swiss Army knife with my DIY hex bit exchanger it fits nicely in the bottom of my pocket and a Zippo bit safe with extra bits. https://www.zippo.com/products/bit-safe-lighter-insert
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:26:44 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

fi Offline customod

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 09:06:15 PM
My bit carrying keeps evolving but for about a decade I've kept them in my wallet in one way or another. These days I use a custom 3D printed ~4mm thick tray.

I've put some pretty good torque on the larger LM hex bits on my bike without issue. Of course the limit will come sooner there than with a full size 1/4" bit. For carrying though, having double sided with so much less bulk is unbeatable.

* Screenshot_20240111-205917_Photos.jpg (Filesize: 125.79 KB)

* Screenshot_20230417-192708_Photos.jpg (Filesize: 221.92 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%