Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are case all fur coat and no knickers?

chip · 73 · 1647

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Are case all fur coat and no knickers?
on: February 20, 2024, 05:11:16 PM
I now own 2 case knives, both very pretty knives, but both had issues with there blades.

The first a medium stockman that when closing the  sheepsfoot blade the Center of its edge bounced off the tip of the Spey blade before closing. I had heard it was common for the side of the blade to rub, but this was not rubbing. Where the two blades clashed it caused a dull spot in the Center of the blade that not only created a glint of light when looking straight at the edge but would catch your thumbnail if you ran it along the edge of the blade.

The second. A mini copperlock, again beautiful to look at. But this came with the blade stuck up against one side of the brass liners scratching the blade on opening and closing. When I tried to return it I was told it would cost   £14 to do so. (Brexit apparently).
So I instead consulted YouTube and fixed the problems with both knives my self by gently persuading them with a hammer, rapping the blade just in front of the tang on the appropriate side.

I have never had such an issue with any other knife I have ever bought. I own many victorinox knives, who I guess knock out a great many more knives than case, many bring multibladed. And not one has ever been less than perfect. And they can do this at a good price point,?and I’m guessing without paying their workers third word wages. So why is QC apparently such an issue with case..

I do love both knives now I have remedied theissues.
But makes me wonder if case are making knives to be used or do they expect them to be displayed in amongst a sea of other case knives by collectors.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 06:40:29 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Are case all fur coat and no knickers?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 06:09:35 PM
 :oops:

I very much enjoy my Case knives.  I bought a few new and on my first one there were issues that had me sending the knife back.  I was pretty disappointed but was sent a very nice one in return. 

As to what you are asking, are making knives to be used or do they expect them to be displayed in amongst a sea of other case knives by collectors.

I do believe many buy Case for the collection aspect.  They come in so many handle materials which makes them fun to collect.  The yearly vault pattern is also one that many collect.

Now as to QC, reading and watching videos on QC issues from Case I kept me from Case.  After buying my first Case as mentioned I was not impressed and thought everyone was right about this company.  When I got my replacement I was feeling quite the opposite. 

These are not inexpensive knives.  This is not a new company.  So what is the problem with issues that seem easy to fix?  Since I have never reached out to Case I don't know the answers. 

My personal, very personal belief is, Case builds their knives within tolerances they deem acceptable. 

My reply #63 speaks to my experience with my Case knife. 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85319.msg2214245.html#msg2214245

I now have several Case knives and some are exceptional while some have blade rub, rounded over tips, and some gapping on the back.

My 63087 is great.  There are close calls with the blades but none touch each other or the liners.  There is some gapping on the back between the back spring and liner.  Its pretty well done IMO.  Not sure what these cost new since I got mine in a trade.  Its brown plastic handles are very well done with no issues with fit and finish. 

Are they made to be used?  I sure do think so.  All mine get carried and used even my Tony Bose Premium Stockman.  As to the comparison with Victorinox, man how the heck do they do such a great job?  There really is no comparison IMO.  While Vic is not without some issues at times they certainly get the crown for the mass amount of knives they produce with few issues some experience.

Bummer you cannot send back but glad you got it sorted.  We really shouldn't have to fix issues.       

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 06:30:19 PM
I bought them from a very reputable company based in The Netherlands who I have used many times before but never needed to use their returns policy before.
But on checking, being the uk is no longer in the eu they wanted me to pay £14 before they would accept the return.  I will still use them, but not for case knives in the future.

Maybe it was just bad luck, as they say  “if it wasn’t for bad luck I would have no luck at all”
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 06:43:31 PM
Its a bummer.  As said I avoided them for many years because of stories like yours multiplied many times over from unhappy buyers. 

I think you got a dud but it seems to be happening enough that I think buying in person would be best if a seamless return isn't possible. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 07:32:59 PM
I would love a GEC barlow, but research leads me to believe they are all bought up instantly with a great many then appearing on eBay just as quickly for 3 or 4 times the retail price.

I avoided this place for sometime as it fed my compulsion to buy multitools, now I have got that under control I spend my spare time watching YouTube videos about traditional knives.

Here in the uk traditional knives are hard to come by (I don’t know if that is a curse or a blessing given the state of my bank balance) as no second hand/junk/ charity shop will touch them as here in the uk most non knife people regard them as a weapon not a tool.

I definitely will buy some more new case knives in the future, just will stick to heinnie haynes

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 07:40:33 PM
I've come full circle to enjoying watching videos on gear.  For a while I felt it persuaded me in wanting stuff.  I realized the next new items were not anything special, at least for me. 

If you follow that link I provided earlier there is talk of GEC.  Heck I own 3 now and I can tell ya, while great they aren't ones I carry as often as I would have thought prior to owning them. 

I really do love my Case knives.  I guess I got lucky with them.  I also very much enjoy my older trads.  There is something very special about a trad. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 07:47:47 PM
I've bought CASE knives for quite a few years now and haven't seen issues like you have in your's, Chip.   While blade rub is common in certain patterns the clash that you described with your stockman isn't.
My knife buying has tapered off for the last few years so I can't really comment on current QC issues other than I had a large Stockman break a back spring which CASE repaired it without issue.  Being in the US though all it cost me was the postage to send it back to them.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 08:04:19 PM
Aloha, thank you i shall take the time to read that whole thread this evening.

Pit carver, I’m glad it is not the norm, the mini copperlock is in dark red bone, one side is deep red, the other is also deep red apart from one large spot which is white. The bolsters look like the have been jigged where they have been pressed into the jigged bone underneath. These things were disappointing but cosmetic and as I plan on using it well I was ok with.
But the blades clashing with each other and the liner is something that could have been picked up on before leaving the factory.

I will buy more case knives hopefully but as a rule only If am going to use them as I have the collectors gene and really don’t want to start buying them to put away.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 08:15:58 PM
Not giving anyone a pass especially not a company like Case who has been around for over 125 years.  The Stockman needs to be done well for those blades not to touch anything.  Tony Bose specially said on his Premium Stockman he swedged the blades for that very reason. 

Here are a sampling of Stockman/men I own. 

I tried to take a pic staring down so you can see how close some come.  NO blades touch anything on these samples.  They do come very close. 

Robeson about 80 years young.
Camillus.
Shrade OT.
Case. 

Rubbing should not happen.  Again glad you got yours sorted.  I am not a particular with centering but I also don't want the blade to touch the liners nor other blades.  A smidge off and its no bother for me.  My favorite Case Copperhead is pretty off and I should really sort it out.  It seems to be veering off center from when I first got it.   

* IMG_0125.jpg (Filesize: 82.41 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 08:17:02 PM
Each knife best I can photograph looking straight down.  They are in the order as above pic.   

* IMG_0121.jpg (Filesize: 69.51 KB)

* IMG_0122.jpg (Filesize: 75.39 KB)

* IMG_0123.jpg (Filesize: 76.73 KB)

* IMG_0124.jpg (Filesize: 74.23 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 08:31:29 PM
I’ve got it centered pretty good now

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 08:32:41 PM
This is after I honed the worst of it out

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 08:35:14 PM
I'd say so.  I love the Stockman.   :tu:

I'm bummed it was the S35 Stockman.  This is where I understand why some feel Case is sorely lacking.  Its a let down to have to tune up a new knife.  The fact that it may very well be a dud it happened to you.  I am sorry but I do hope now you can enjoy this terrific pattern and report on how you like the S35.  I really need to pick one up. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 08:35:57 PM
And that was after only opening and closing it a few times

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 08:39:04 PM
 :twak: Case. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 08:46:44 PM
Thanks,, I do really like it a lot and plan on carrying it everyday for the foreseeable, and I learnt something new today.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 10:34:58 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

As the owner of perhaps several dozen Case knives, I would say the QC is unfortunately variable.  Some are excellent, most are pretty good, some have minor issues, and a few have major issues.

Of course, the best scenario is to go to a brick-and-mortar store where you can physically handle the knives and pick what you want, but often that isn’t an option.

Short of that, I’ve had good luck putting a note on the order to the effect of “check F&F and W&T before shipping”.

And, buying from a vendor that has a good return policy/satisfaction guarantee so you can get an exchange or refund if you aren’t happy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 10:36:28 PM
 :tu: well said Nate.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 10:55:33 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

As the owner of perhaps several dozen Case knives, I would say the QC is unfortunately variable.  Some are excellent, most are pretty good, some have minor issues, and a few have major issues.

Of course, the best scenario is to go to a brick-and-mortar store where you can physically handle the knives and pick what you want, but often that isn’t an option.

Short of that, I’ve had good luck putting a note on the order to the effect of “check F&F and W&T before shipping”.

And, buying from a vendor that has a good return policy/satisfaction guarantee so you can get an exchange or refund if you aren’t happy.

I'll second the check it before purchase option, for any knife.  It's a shame that I can find a sub $20.00 knife that constantly has better fit and finish than those costing 5 times that.
I like to carry large stockmans and have several 75 patterns from CASE.  Most carried of these is an orange G10, stainless and the jigged amber bone with carbon blades that was repaired by CASE.
My current carry is a Valley Forge large Stockman in yellow comp, which is 1/4 inch larger than the CASE 75's.  Very nice fit and finish and the scales were even rounded so well that I didn't even do any work on them.
Cost less than the $20.00 from above.

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 02:50:05 PM
I love Case pocketknives. They remind me of my youth and a better time gone by.

I've never bought one with a defect and I've bought a few over the years, but none of them are put up, not used, or on display. Mine get used and carried and swapped around.

I think they are guaranteed if they have a defect.

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2024, 03:42:08 PM
I've pretty much given up on Case. Sadly,  the last half dozen I've ordered have all had issues, all but one of them went back to the seller because they were issues I wasn't willing to or able to fix. The one I did keep for a bit, a CV Copperhead with Yellow delrin scales, the main blade's tip would stick above the scales when the knife was closed. Thankfully the rest of the knife was fine.

I know there are folks that say they have bought many over the years without any problems, but I can honestly say I haven't seen ANY new ones over the years without some sort of glaring issue.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2024, 06:39:45 PM
Its sad to hear.  I know how I felt after buying my first.  It was a bummer knowing the many complaints then receiving my knife and having many of the same and a few different ones.  I am happy I got a terrific replacement tho. 

The majority of mine are second hand and thankfully they are good to go.  The ones with issues are minimal so if I did buy new I'd have kept them anyways. 

A knife tip sticking above handles is never a good thing.  Glad you were able to sort it out tho it really should have never left the factory. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2024, 07:35:03 PM
It’s been disappointing. I remember watching a factory tour video a few years ago and they stopped by the sharpening area to talk to the guy working there. He had a knife in each hand and was taking turns passing them over the sharpening belt. If that’s the norm there, it would explain some of the horrendous edge grinds I’ve seen coming out of their factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #23 on: February 25, 2024, 09:35:18 PM

A knife tip sticking above handles is never a good thing.  Glad you were able to sort it out tho it really should have never left the factory. 

Depending on the knife blade itself I've just sanded down the kick to lower the top of the blade which should have been done at the factory.

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 09:38:06 PM
Depending on the knife blade itself I've just sanded down the kick to lower the top of the blade which should have been done at the factory.

That's what I ended up doing. It was mostly fine after that, just a couple of minor F&F issues. Still, like you said, that should have been done at the factory.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2024, 10:15:52 PM
To chime in here, first I truly feel the frustration of our European family on collecting and obtaining USA built knives and MTs.

What many may not know, is CASE is the same firm from 50 years ago.  In its hey day, they attempted increasing production and the quality suffered and trust in the brand suffered.  To the point the CASE Company was in trouble.  Then in steps ZIPPO, resident of the same town, and ZIPPO PURCHASED CASE.

The new CASE begin correcting issues, improving quality, introducing new COVERS, new materials, and knife designs.  Like ZIPPO, the marketing did shift more toward collecting. 

More models with SS. (Like SAK), pretty scales, more variety.
Production expanded, new employees, production numbers driven higher and  IMHO, quality dwindled as less units were inspected.  Now that issue is being addressed.

As for the STOCKMAN and other models that are of similar designed, blade rub has always been an issue. You have two blades sharing a backspring, with one blade mounted crosswise in the same space that is designed for two blades.

I think Camillus made a change, or BUCK actual made a design change, three blades / 3 back springs!!! Blades have their own straight line space.

Even some ROUGH RYDERS  support this and others even have liners internal.

I will admit, I buy what I like, and what I would use. Unfortunately I only use a few that I own, and those are quite often models I have duplicates.
3-3/4” length closed models is my normal users, Stockman, CopperLock, TribalLock, single blade Trapper, Copperhead are favorites in addition to my CANOE patterns along with the SOD BUSTER!!!

Of all I own, I only sent one back, a Swayback, it was to small.
And I have few that have differences between front side and backside scales (coloring)  But does not effect function.   Have had same issue with SHEFFIELD produce knives as well.

I like cASE models, I like my Buck knives and even several older Rough Riders and Queen models.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2024, 08:59:25 PM
 :tu:

Good to hear your thoughts and experiences. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 07, 2024, 01:10:54 PM
I’ve only flipping gone and done it,, I’ve ordered another new case.
So fingers crossed it arrives issue free, if not I am done with new case knives.

It’s very busy, so I am either going to love it or hate it.
I shall reveal all when it arrives tomorrow.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 07, 2024, 03:55:18 PM
Hopefully it has it's knickers   :rofl:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 04:21:33 PM
 :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%