Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vosteed Mini Labrador

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Vosteed Mini Labrador
on: February 24, 2024, 12:54:05 AM
Vosteed is an innovator, and they are constantly pushing the boundaries rather than resting on their laurels. Whether it be new and interesting designs or creating new locking mechanisms for future releases like the Ankylo Racoon. This new release from the company is both a first and a mini variation of a popular model, the Labrador. Mini version are popular with customers because it gives that same feel as the full size version in a more compact form.

The mini Labrador comes with a blade of 14C28N that's 2.73", a titanium handle that's 3.5", and an overall of 6.23". This cute yet capable package comes in at a feather light weight of 1.93oz. There's a lot going on with this mini and good things really do come in small packages. Let's take a look at what makes this Labrador man's best friend.

I usually talk about handles first but something about this knife makes me want to talk about the blade. The sub 3-inch blade is made out of the popular Sandvik steel 14C28N. Dubbed the budget super steel it has a lot of attributes that knife aficionados want without breaking the bank. The blade is a drop point style with a flat grind and makes it super slicey. I'm a huge fan of full flats and this grind makes this little guy zip through material super easy. Deploying the blade is done via a rear flipper tab that also doubles as a finger guard. Same with all of Vosteed's knives the mini Lab runs on a bearing pivot for smooth deployment.

Now, on to what truly had me stand up and take notice. Vosteed has done several locking mechanisms over the last year with Crossbar and Trek leading the pack. One thing the company has not yet done is the humble framelock. Invented and popularized by Chris Reeve, this simple and reliable lock mechanism has become as much of a staple in the industry as the Walker Liner Lock. I'm unsure as to why the company has never offered one, and I was wondering considering they're now offering titanium handled knives. The mini Lab is the first of hopefully many titanium framelocks. The lock is executed beautifully, and features a combination lockbar over travel steel insert. The handle, in spite of its diminutive size is quite comfortable and I'm able to get three fingers around. Contours are in all the right places and lockup is good with plenty of space for break-in.

The mini Lab also has a milled titanium pocket clip. This is nothing out of the ordinary, especially these days. But it's what's on the end of the clip that grabbed my attention. Vosteed has taken surveys from it's customers wether they should put the company logo on thier pivots. I personally don't think it's a move they should make, but I'm one voice in a very loud room. Getting thier feet the company opted to have the company logo put on the end of the pocket clip. It's a nice look, and I don't think it detracts from the design at all. Up till now the companies only branding has been on the blade. The clip works well, as a pocket clip should. It sits deep enough that it won't accidently come out and tension was right were it needs to be.

The mini Labrador has been a way for the company to test out some things it's been working on behind the scenes. The whole package is very well done and has a touch of class to it. It's a knife that's just a suited for a night out as it is at the office. I love the mini series that the company is famous for, and even more that this mini is a first of many. It's small size is great for most folks and it performs like a knife that's much larger. What's even more incredible is the price, $69 isn't bad for a titanium framelock. If you looking for something a little on the smaller side, but with class check out the Vosteed mini Labrador.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Vosteed Mini Labrador
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 10:38:01 PM
 :like:  Thanks for your look at it.  It on the top of my (extensive) Amazon wish list.   :tu:   :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%