Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vosteed Thornton

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Vosteed Thornton
on: March 02, 2024, 05:45:11 PM
Wayne Thornton of Wayne's Sharp World has been covering the knife scene for a few years. His love for knives has spawned a  collaboration with Vosteed Knives. Wayne worked with the company to produce a knife that pays homage to his grandfather, Wayne Thornton Walter, along with his love for aviation and travel. His grandfather was a mechanical squad leader for aircraft in the Solomon and Philippine Islands during World War II. Wayne designed the knife to capture that  love and wanderlust spirit. Hoping that this knife will make a great companion, taking you on many adventures.

Dubbed the Thornton, the knife features a sheepsfoot blade of 3.18 inches and a overall length of 7.52 inches. The handle comes in either G10 or Micarta depending on model. Opening is done via a front flipper or a thumb stud and features the companies Trek lock. With that introduction out of the way, let's check out the Thornton.

The sheepsfoot blade shape makes it great for all kinds of cuts, with the exception of those that require piercing. The lower tip makes it a great blade for utility, and the gently curved belly works great for food prep. I'm a huge fan of sheepsfoot and wharncliffe blade shapes, they're probably my favorite shape for everyday carry. Clips and drops get the praise as being the most friendly for everyday usage but I'll take the sheepsfoot any day of the week. The 14C28N steel takes a keen edge and holds it respectively, not needing touch ups too often. Opening the knife is done via a front flipper or thumb stud, both of which work beautifully. I hadn't started using front flippers till last year and frankly struggled with them. Some models are hit or miss for me in regards to how easy I can pull off this  maneuver. The Thornton has a nice and proud front flipper that makes blade deployment super easy.

The design inspiration for the Thornton is from the Boeing 737, I like the lines but don't see the resemblance. I do however think this handle is just about perfect when it comes to comfort. The gently tapered handle combined with rounding in all the right places makes for a handle that's comfortable during long cutting sessions. The micarta on this version is really nice and has a velvety smooth feel. Some micarta can be very hairy but this is done exceptionally well. I think having a lanyard hole would have been a nice addition, it's not something I usually see on Vosteed knives.

The Thornton, a homage to a beloved man who served for his country. This makes for a great everyday carry, but I also see this as a working man's knife. Everything about this knife is done the right way and Wayne did a great job designing it. I hope to see more collaborations in the figure from him. If your looking for an excellent everyday carry knife that's great for everything from breaking down cardboard to prepping a meal, check out the Vosteed Thornton.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD