Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build the new Crunch

us Offline Craig_S

Let's build the new Crunch
on: March 07, 2024, 03:20:38 PM
Title says it all. I bet with all of the talent we have here, we could design and build a prototype of a "new" or "super" Crunch.  Is anyone here good enough at CAD to scale up a Crunch so it's Surge-sized? We could then play with things like outside accessible blades, etc (if we HAVE to lol) and see where it goes.

Why not, it would make some of us feel better after losing the ability to buy more of (yet another) favorite tool.

Craig
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 03:36:16 PM by Craig_S »
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick, Juice XE6

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Let's build the new Crunch
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 04:16:30 PM
I'm in no ways a CAD user, but I look forward to seeing this! 
Barry

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 04:21:57 PM
I’ve got no technical or design skills, but I hope this takes off.

I wonder if a locking version of Mr Crunch could be possible.

To make the Crunch successor an everyday carry tool instead of a secondary or back up, I’d love to see an outside combo blade, saw, and scissors. I’d prefer a couple of flat drivers and the Phillips from the Free series, but I know most people would rather have the bit driver.

Edit for clarity - I’d like the blade to be outside opening. Don’t mind if the scissors and saw are inside tools.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 04:44:45 PM by Crunchie64 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 04:24:08 PM
I like the Crunch.  It's truly innovative and I was surprised that it's actually one of the older Leathermans.  It's in a rare class of multitools for sure. 
Barry

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 05:07:14 PM
A Mr. Crunch project would be a lot of fun and likely easier than a Super Crunch.

I can 3d print plastic and carbon fiber, cast metal, and machine metal. Not looking at production though. It would be too much time per tool to be viable unless we have people that have the capability to do EVERYTHING related to multitool manufacturing and I doubt it. I would rather hand off a mostly completed design to LM and say please make this.

Scaling up the frame, jaws, and inner mechanism would be first. If it's ever developed into a working model, then we can figure out a toolset. Honestly that's the part of the project I dread  :rofl:

Craig
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 05:16:28 PM by Craig_S »
PST edc 1998-Present
PST, Crunch, Surge, Wave, Rebar, Original ST, Style PS, ST300, Free T2, Curl, Mini Tool, Kick, Juice XE6

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 05:19:17 AM
A Free series Crunch would be cool

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 09:54:00 PM
Put replaceable cutters on it..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 12:56:41 AM
I'd be happy if they just brought back the old one. I can't see them designing a new more complicated outside opening version.
I always thought they should have come out with a bigger version, the SuperCrunch.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 02:12:01 AM
I agree with Steve, a Super acting makes sense.  But, last fall they did make a batch of Crunch units. Announced it was being discontinued and put the 300 or so units on the page and in days they were out of stock.

Yes, panic buying or ripoff artist planning to take advantage at late date.  It would make it practical for LM to keep production active for batch runs of 50 to hundred   With email notice when in stock.

However Vice Grips are still very popular, new and used. First tool that gets swooped up at Estate Sales, Garage Sales and auctions if in a box. Flea markets unless over priced.

I have a few in my tool chest and fo not recall paying ever over $20 for one.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 02:13:41 PM
I can agree that even if they didn't change anything and only assembled a couple hundred a year, they'd always sell out and people would be happy. But then also imagine a new version with 4.5" sizing, replaceable cutters, and outside (larger) knife. That alone would make me pay a king's ransom for one!

I would be happy either way.

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 02:44:38 PM
There must be a good reason for discontinuing the Crunch rather than keeping it going in occasional small batches. I’ve read suggestions that a key piece of equipment has broken and is beyond economical repair, which seems plausible.

I suppose after being in production for 25 years, it might simply be the case that most of the people who want one have gone one.

A slightly bigger Crunch with one hand opening blade could genuinely be my main everyday carry, but I don’t know if Leatherman think the numbers add up considering the cost of research, development, and setting up production for a tool that wouldn’t share as many interchangeable parts as some of the others.

us Offline Craig_S

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 03:46:01 PM

A slightly bigger Crunch with one hand opening blade could genuinely be my main everyday carry, but I don’t know if Leatherman think the numbers add up considering the cost of research, development, and setting up production for a tool that wouldn’t share as many interchangeable parts as some of the others.

If it was bigger, do you think that would open up the possibilities for using tools from other models? They could definitely use a blade from something else, and only the center tool needs to be Crunch-specific to keep it closed. If it was just a tiny bit bigger I would think (hope) that they could use a the lock, file, screwdriver, and can/bottle opener (there would be space if the blade went outside) from other LMs.

Craig
PST edc 1998-Present

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 05:02:04 PM
I'd be happy if they just brought back the old one. I can't see them designing a new more complicated outside opening version.

In addition, and the way things are going at Leatherman, a Free series Crunch would MSRP at $349.

I enjoy the Crunch for its historical significance, and was able to wrangle a few of them before Leatherman killed it.  But it was probably not a big seller, and every decision made at Leatherman is based on maximizing revenue.  So I don't see a Super Crunch or Free Crunch on the horizon, but one never knows.  It would be cool, fo shizzle.

us Offline FinneganMckinney4000

Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 12:30:09 AM
With an MSRP of 349$ :ahhh, I would expect some premium additions, just like how the Arc comes with bits. The Super Crunch would come with t-shank pieces like the Surge, MaxLvLedc presented (on YouTube) how the notch in the Crunch fits these jigs.

Maybe Cerakoted?  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD