Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First multitool identification and improvement

Offline jonox

First multitool identification and improvement
on: March 09, 2024, 05:57:13 PM
Hey y'all,

I found this multitool two years ago and carry it with me in my day pack usually everywhere I go. Can anyone tell me how to identify brand and/or the year it might have been produced?

Also, I have some minor issues or things to improve; the pliers are loose, it takes a lot of pressure to put the tools back I to the handles once they lock in, and, if possible, I'd like to swap out some tools I never use, if possible (I've seen people do this with newer versions of leatherman multitools)
I'm thankful for any advice I can get!

* IMG_20240309_163755.jpg (Filesize: 160.69 KB)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: First multitool identification and improvement
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 07:59:35 PM
It'll be hard to say who the manufacturer is, it's a Chinese clone of a Leatherman PST/PSTII.

Customization may be possible, in this community anything is possible. Maybe someone here with some modding experience will chime in. It's hard to tell from the photo but the screws look like standard Leatherman knurled ones.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Offline jonox

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 08:08:06 PM
thanks a lot! "Chinese clone" is as much of an answer as I wanted, I'll take a look into modding soon

It'll be hard to say who the manufacturer is, it's a Chinese clone of a Leatherman PST/PSTII.

Customization may be possible, in this community anything is possible. Maybe someone here with some modding experience will chime in. It's hard to tell from the photo but the screws look like standard Leatherman knurled ones.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 08:24:01 PM
Parse wrenches to fit those type screws don't come cheap.  Probably more than the tool is worth.  Plus, there is no guarantee that they will fit correctly.  Might be identical to Leatherman type fasteners.  Might not.  I would use it as is or swap it to someone.  It actually looks like a usable tool now.  Tight here, loose there, so what?  Best wishes.  G
 :)

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 09:08:21 PM
Well well well, is that a folding, locking 1/4 bit holder I spy, next to the scissors? Leatherman, you listening? You could have had that from the very beginning!   :rant:
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 09:32:28 PM
Well well well, is that a folding, locking 1/4 bit holder I spy, next to the scissors? Leatherman, you listening? You could have had that from the very beginning!   :rant:
I initially thought it was a small button battery flashlight,  i
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 09:39:56 PM
I know a few people who carry knock off pst tools and they work well for their needs.

It’s the Chinese knock of SAKs that I hate.
Everyone I have ever been gifted the tools appear to be made of liquorice.

If it works for you I would use it as is.
 :tu:
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 10:57:04 PM

It could be anything. But I would love to see a bit holder like that.

Offline jonox

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 02:44:29 PM
It actually is! I didn't know that was special, and thought the leatherman-bits were rather cool?
but yeah, I probably should get a bit-set sometimes soon for this

Offline jonox

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 02:48:29 PM
Yeah no, I doubt this was made at a time that tiny flashlights were a thing.

Offline jonox

Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 02:52:54 PM
Ah damn! yes, it's definitely usable, but I always like to improve stuff, especially since I really don't need the scissors (they barely cut anything that is not paper and I usually use a knive for everything I need to cut anyways),  also I probably will never use the can opener (and if I ever need one I can still use the pliers), I'd probably keep the awl but I don't even know what the thing between it and the saw is, so I'd swap that as well.
But yes, I'm still glad to have it!

Parse wrenches to fit those type screws don't come cheap.  Probably more than the tool is worth.  Plus, there is no guarantee that they will fit correctly.  Might be identical to Leatherman type fasteners.  Might not.  I would use it as is or swap it to someone.  It actually looks like a usable tool now.  Tight here, loose there, so what?  Best wishes.  G
 :)

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 02:59:41 PM
Knipex pliers work fine with those knurled screwheads. Also Squirt pliers. But in a knockoff you're likely to strip them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%