Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm SAK love

Aloxfan · 1123 · 114794

cz Offline z1913

84mm SAK love
Reply #1110 on: January 09, 2024, 07:48:24 PM
And the golden Piaget cousin.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 07:54:06 PM by z1913 »

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 84mm SAK love
Reply #1111 on: January 09, 2024, 11:13:55 PM
Thanks chaps :tu: :cheers:

The gold looks great z1913 :like:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1112 on: January 14, 2024, 03:53:54 PM
Got a Flytanium Cadet incoming :  with junglewear FatCarbon scales  :mail: (should come in the few next days, it made a halt for customs)

Here is is in video :

Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #1113 on: January 20, 2024, 10:17:29 PM
I picked up a Sportsman and a Recruit with plans to add some Taschenmesser micarta scales to both. The Sportsman went well, but I managed to cock up the Recruit and the new scales during installation. First time that's ever happened to me.  I'm loving the Sportsman, and how it lays in the pocket. It's amazing how much difference 7mm makes.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #1114 on: January 21, 2024, 10:14:47 AM
Those scales look fab!  :like: :like: :cheers:

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2024, 03:55:34 PM
I don't like to double post, but will flag the recent 84mm purchases I placed here... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21658.msg2463876.html#msg2463876.  Should similar go in this thread in the future?

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #1116 on: February 10, 2024, 05:14:16 PM
Very cool finds!
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #1117 on: March 06, 2024, 01:24:46 PM
My four 84mm, all with scissors.

* IMG_1748.jpg (Filesize: 124.1 KB)

Offline Miloš Jović

• New User
Reply #1118 on: March 06, 2024, 10:56:21 PM
Hi guys!

Got my first SAK a couple of months ago - a Compact as it has scissorss and was only 2 layers.

But I found I'm not carrying it at all since its too noticeable in the jeans and a bit bulky and sticking out of my watch pocket. I live in a non knife friendly environment, people are just not that used to carrying pocket knives and multi tools  anymore and consider it threathening, and so does the law. But there were many times in my life when I wish I had something like a SAK on me.

The Executive is basically perfect for me but it would be too expensive to get it off  of ebay or alike due to the transportation costs, it would take too long for it to arrive and in the end due to the price and being rare and discontinued I know I would end up keeping it as a safe queen.

But... If I learn myself out of having a percieved need for scissors ( I survived 30 years without them in my pocket just fine haha)  I could get a Bantam almost anywhere and I just found one place where they still sell Waiters, yay

From your vast experience in valiant duties as SAK knights, can you please advise this squire is there a significant/noticeable difference in size (lenght) between the 84mm and a 91mm Compact?(Considering a 74mm would be my "grail" SAK or so, especially since it would be perfect for the fifth pocket in the jeans which I wear the most). And would you recommend the Waiter for its extra usability with the corkscrew, small driver, pin or the Bantam due to its gentlemanly and classy appereance or should I just learn to wear the Compact and stop carring what hoplophobes/police think?

Thank you and cheers!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 11:02:10 PM by Miloš Jović »

Offline LeDe

Reply #1119 on: March 07, 2024, 01:57:28 AM
Hello,

In my opinion, there is a real difference between the difference the 84mm and the 91 sizes.
If you want something slim, the Waiter is a great choice so is the Cadet (which is my current go to).

I have started to carry those in my back pocket which works well.

I also always carry a small SAKs anyway, most probably a Rambler so I can get the scissors. This one can lie in your 5th pocket /keys...you wont ever notice it.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1120 on: March 07, 2024, 02:31:00 AM
…is there a significant/noticeable difference in size (lenght) between the 84mm and a 91mm Compact?
IMO, there is a significant and noticeable difference between 84mm and 91mm SAKs.

…would you recommend the Waiter for its extra usability with the corkscrew, small driver, pin or the Bantam due to its gentlemanly and classy appereance…
Between those two, I would personally go with the Waiter for the extra tools.

…should I just learn to wear the Compact and stop carring what hoplophobes/police think?
This depends on the potential consequences of this action.  If the consequences are pretty much limited to dirty looks, then carry what you want and anyone who doesn’t like it can go smurf themselves.  On the other hand, if the consequences in your country are likely entanglements with law enforcement, then I would have to advise against it.

Something you might consider is switching up how you carry the Compact.  I think you mentioned 5th pocket carry in jeans, which might be a bit of a squeeze for a 91mm.  I’m guessing it’s printing something fierce, if not actually sticking out of the pocket.  Instead, try carrying in either left or right front pocket, but with something else also in the pocket.  I find wallet works well, but you could use a bandanna, keys (though these will tend to beat up your SAK scales), etc.  Basically, anything else in the pocket to break up the outline of the knife.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1121 on: March 07, 2024, 01:33:33 PM
You can probably find this elsewhere but here's a pic of a 91, 84 and 74mm side by side.  I agree with Nate, the difference in feel is greater than the numbers might suggest.  It does sound like a 74mm Ambassador might be a good option for you as well.  Hope you find something that works for you.  :hatsoff:

* PXL_20240307_122359434.jpg (Filesize: 178 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Miloš Jović

• New User
Reply #1122 on: March 11, 2024, 09:44:30 PM
You can probably find this elsewhere but here's a pic of a 91, 84 and 74mm side by side.  I agree with Nate, the difference in feel is greater than the numbers might suggest.  It does sound like a 74mm Ambassador might be a good option for you as well.  Hope you find something that works for you.  :hatsoff:

Hi Gareth! Thank you so much for the effort it is truly appreciated and was helpful, and thanks to all the others for their kind suggestions. I'm still on the fence and if I decide on getting myself an 84mm (I was aiming for one-and-done with a Compact and SAKs in general... silly me...  like that's even a possibility... :D ) I'll make sure to post a photo here and brag about it a bit.  :D

Cheers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD