Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sustainability in the knife and tool industry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Sustainability in the knife and tool industry
on: March 11, 2024, 01:27:05 PM
Sustainability is important- I am not going to get into an environmental debate, but I think we can all agree that fouling our own next is a bad thing.  So, to that end, I would like to compile a list of manufacturers and steps they have taken towards operating in a sustainable manner.  And, who could stand some improvement.

Many manufacturers are switching to using recycled materials in handles and other places, and that's a great start.  I think the first major one I heard of was Wenger with their Mike Horn model, whose handles consisted of recycled plastic bottles and wood pulp, but now I am certain a bunch of other manufacturers are doing something similar- even if I can't think of them at the moment.  Maybe Spyderco?

I also know that the cellidor that Victorinox uses in scales are supposed to be a cellulose plant based polymer, which means that it should (theoretically) decompose eventually.  That having been said, I have some very old SAKs and they show no sign of breaking down, so I couldn't say how true that is.

Further I see manufacturers talking about reducing packaging, and yet you still see those giant plastic clam packs on many retailer shelves.  Whether they are recyclable or not, I would love to see those go away forever simply because they are frustrating as heck.

Does sustainability in the knife and tool manufacturing industry affect or interest anyone else?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Bigshep

Re: Sustainability in the knife and tool industry
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 01:33:36 PM
Honestly, yes. I would like to see it happen. Any manufacturers who participate in sustainable practices would garner my attention. Also I think new methods of, say, knife  handles, would be welcomed.
Micarta is welcomed, why not a lighter plant based material? I would give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 01:34:21 PM
I hate clam packs too. I like cardboard because it ages well and is simple.

Otherwise, I really don't give it any thought.

Everything came from the Earth and will eventually return to the Earth.

Well, except alien stuff...

Offline Bigshep

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 01:36:42 PM
I hate clam packs too. I like cardboard because it ages well and is simple.

Otherwise, I really don't give it any thought.

Everything came from the Earth and will eventually return to the Earth.

Well, except alien stuff...
Count me in on clam pack hatred, Worst things ever.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 01:58:40 PM by Bigshep »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 05:21:48 PM
Leatherman (screenshot)

Gerber
https://fiskarsgroup.com/brands/gerber/

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 02:01:11 PM
Thanks for that Dave- it's nice to know that they are all getting on board, although I feel like that's pretty much a necessity when operating in Oregon, a place well known for environmental responsibility.

I do dislike the phrase "environmental marketing" though.  I have dealt with enough marketers to know that marketing is often devoid of substance, and I prefer to see real efforts being made, not just talked about- not that I think that is the case with either Leatherman or Gerber.

I also know how harmful things like epoxies and dyes can be for the local environment and it's nice that Leatherman is taking the initiative to ensure they are having little to no impact.

Getting back to the clam packs, this is an excellent example of "I must, but I must not" as they are an excellent deterrent to retailer shrinkage.  I have spent a great amount of my time in Loss Prevention with large retailers and I see the benefit of clam packs- they really do make a difference as it is much more challenging to slice open a clam pack clandestinely versus opening a box.  Not that it doesn't happen, but at least you make the bad guys work for it!   :P

From a marketing standpoint they also mean that your product has greater visibility on the shelf, which increases sales of your product over a less visible competitor.

Clam packs make a lot of sense, and they are difficult, if not impossible to do without using a lot of plastic, which is frustrating from an environmental standpoint as well as from a consumer frustration standpoint.

It's a great discussion point, and one we have only touched n here in the past.  I really appreciate hearing other people's thoughts on it. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%