Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss+Tech carry

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Swiss+Tech carry
on: March 13, 2024, 12:01:18 PM
    This is the little Swiss+Tech 6 in 1 keychain multi.  There is a wealth of information in the Collector's Corner board on the company and their tools.  Used to be made in the USA.  Chinese now.  Well worth the read if you have time. 
    I saw my first one in a magazine of some sort.  Then a knife dealer showed me one, to see what I thought.  I wasn't very impressed with the little thing.  The screwdrivers seemed a little too big or blunt or something.  I suppose that was a Chinese one. 
    I pretty much forgot about the things until maybe 2012, I think.  I looked over a display in sporting goods at Walmart with close-outs.  I saw a Swiss+Tech hanging on a hook.  Closeout price... two dollars.  I nabbed it.  Last one in the store. 
    This is the first post of what may turn out to be a 15 day carry of this mini multi.  Might as well post a photo.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :( DAY 1

PXL_20240130_113030012.jpg
* PXL_20240130_113030012.jpg (Filesize: 178.8 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Re: Swiss+Tech carry
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 01:21:44 PM
I have a bunch of Swiss+Techs. I think mine are all the post-China versions, but they all seem decent for what they are. The XTREME (22 in 1) is about the most tools you can get without any kind of blade or saw. The MAX (19 in 1) is probably my favorite. It sits on my work table and I grab it for all kinds of little jobs.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 02:04:05 PM
   It doesn't take too much to get me to spend a dollar or two on something.  This one stayed in my small First Aid kit which I carry in my belt pack.  I actually have used it some.  The multi not the First Aid kit. 
   I meant to mention that the photo has an 84mm SAK along for scale.  That particular one is a Bantam (which I like quite a lot).  I might put the Swiss+Tech on a key ring.  Haven't decided yet.  Might carry it another way.  By the way, there is nothing Swiss about these tools as far as I can see.  Just a name.  The one I have doesn't have any country of origin markings at all.  I am sure the hanging package said China on it.  The US made 6-in-1 tools have a different metal finish and are clearly marked USA.  It looks like the multi that I have can be bought online for around $12.  Best wishes.  G
(Feel free to post a photo or a tool or two if you like, Bob.  This thread could stand some lively interaction.)
 :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 02:19:17 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 02:22:03 PM
I had the Micro-Plus EX 9-in-1 that I liked a lot until one of the rivets loosened up.  It would never stay on my key ring after that.  I finally decided to try and re-peen it and that seemed to help.  I ended up giving it to my son.  Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one.  :cheers:
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 03:02:38 PM
  That's the one that looks like a cowboy when you open it up, right?  Walks into a saloon with a bowlegged gait.  Steps up to the bar and says, "Redeye."  Adjusts the hog-leg in his holster a little, since nobody ever walked into a bar in a western and DIDN'T get into a shootout.  Or ride a stagecoach without being in a holdup.  Or maybe end up playing tag with a group of yipping arrow shooting hostility on horseback. 
   One of these would make a swell kid's play pretty.  I'm thinking of bringing back the 1950's  term for something desirable.  Swell.  Best wishes.  G

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 03:39:27 PM
 :rofl:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 04:29:18 PM

That's the one that looks like a cowboy when you open it up, right?  Walks into a saloon with a bowlegged gait.  Steps up to the bar and says, "Redeye."  Adjusts the hog-leg in his holster a little, since nobody ever walked into a bar in a western and DIDN'T get into a shootout.  Or ride a stagecoach without being in a holdup.  Or maybe end up playing tag with a group of yipping arrow shooting hostility on horseback. 
   One of these would make a swell kid's play pretty.  I'm thinking of bringing back the 1950's  term for something desirable.  Swell.  Best wishes.  G

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 12:01:41 PM
    Weather was so nice that I couldn't really think up an excuse for not working outside.  The small multi came along.  There is no knife on the tool, but there are cutters that can handle some wires or smaller things.  I nipped off an invasive rose twig that was in my way.  The tool handled it okay.  I started out trying to cut off a piece of plastic coated twin lead antenna wire.  Nope.  Too tough.  Might as well post a photo.  Best wishes.  G
 :)

PXL_20240313_184759595.jpg
* PXL_20240313_184759595.jpg (Filesize: 288.69 KB)

PXL_20240313_184921898.jpg
* PXL_20240313_184921898.jpg (Filesize: 167.39 KB)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 01:27:39 PM
   I did get a camera working again.  Might as well post a sneaky beastie photo. Best wishes.  G
 :)
Screenshot (95).jpg
* Screenshot (95).jpg (Filesize: 116.82 KB)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 03:38:26 PM
  Birdies are singing outside.  I think I will poke Swiss-Tech in my pocket and rake some more leaves after an early lunch.  It felt good to work in the yard some yesterday. 
   My right eye is red as can be.  Maybe my meds will help.  Last trip to the ophthalmologist, the waiting room was full.  I was the last one in and the only one called back for treatment.  So, I walked back through the halls while the others waited.  Some tests.  Sent me back to the waiting room.  Everybody looked up.  Then another tech called me back again.  Off I trudged again, with patients starting to wonder why I was getting all the attention.  Dilate eyes.  Go back to the waiting room again.  By then I am holding my hands to shade my eyes as the lights are killing me.  Called me back in a minute later.  Now everybody is looking.  I go back and then have to return to the waiting room with everybody watching. 
    I felt the overwhelming urge to hold one hand over my eye and moan in pain.  Then I would sit down and say that they tried to poke out my eye with a fork while I rocked back and forth.  The urge was overwhelming, but somehow I fought it down.  Folks out there were already spooked enough.  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:
  P.S. I already made my day two post for today but forgot to label it.  That was the one with the rose twig and the rake.  That was DAY 2. 
  :oops:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 05:35:34 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 05:49:01 PM
You would've had people running out of that office.

:rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 11:07:41 AM
    More yard work.  The temps have gone up to about 74F, so that means that the mandatory labor rules have kicked in.  You rake leave in the fall, right.  Not here.  Too many trees around of too many types.  Rake the early debris and things will look okay for a while.  Then more fall, or leaves from the woods blow around and cover the ground again. 
    Like the industrious housewife who carries a pail with a sponge in one hand and pushing a vacuum with the other.  Her weapons in her war on grime, muddy tracks, cat hair, and disorder. Scrubs and wipes and sweeps every day of her life until she dies.  Then they bury her in dirt.
    I got a splinter in my hand from the old rake.  The Swiss+Tech couldn't help with that.  The little pliers meet at the tips, but are too stubby to dig out the shard of wood.  Classic tweezers failed as well.  Had to use a pin to dig it out. 
    The little cutters got another test on some twigs.  They cut a small thorn limb and a bit of privet.  You can see one of the problems with using it to cut things.  Besides it being small, there is the problem of the plier handles moving around.  There is no stop. 
    Might have to rake some more before it starts raining again.  I saw my metal handled rake in the tool shed yesterday.  I think I will park Ole Splinter today and try the other one.  Best wishes.  G
 :( DAY 3
PXL_20240313_184932065.jpg
* PXL_20240313_184932065.jpg (Filesize: 139.75 KB)

PXL_20240313_184955254.jpg
* PXL_20240313_184955254.jpg (Filesize: 149.15 KB)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 12:42:10 PM
   Heavy rain and lightning put the kibosh on yard work yesterday.  After the rain stopped, I did take Swiss+Tech along on a little jaunt to fetch a trail camera.  I thought there should have been some night videos.  Nada.  The only video on the SD card was a not very complimentary of someone taking down the camera.  Me.  If I had thought of it, I could have waved Swiss+Tech in front of the thing.  I did decide to take a photo. 
    This little keychain tool isn't the handiest thing around for outdoors.  Can't open a can.  No blade.  On the other hand you could find some fishing tasks for it.  It will cut line and trim the hanging tags from knots.  The screwdrivers and pliers will fit a large portion of the fasteners on a reel.  At least older ones.  You could crimp on weights or straighten hooks or eyelets to some extent.  Too short to remove hooks.  There isn't anything to fasten it to a 'zinger', so it would be subject to loss in the water.  You could certainly fasten it to many things, but the pliers or cutting function couldn't be used while still tethered.  Actually you can use one screwdriver at a time while the critter is still clamped on a key-chain or zipper pull or whatever.  Best wishes.  G
 :) DAY 4

PXL_20240315_181406849.jpg
* PXL_20240315_181406849.jpg (Filesize: 295.88 KB)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 12:47:48 PM by IMR4198 »

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 01:38:32 PM
  My location for some deer photos was a washout, but the nocturnal small stuff always come through for a photo shoot.  Feed them, and they will come.  Best wishes.  G
Screenshot (97).jpg
* Screenshot (97).jpg (Filesize: 119.7 KB)

None of them were carrying multi-tools, but they did come dressed warmly.  And hungry.
G

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 11:47:28 AM
   I got tired of splinters in my hand, so I dug out my folding metal handled rake.  I think I bought some lawn equipment from someone and they threw in a bunch of hand tools.  Moving.  The upper part of the rake mechanism slides up or down and fans out the tines to any size you want.  Made in Taiwan.  It actually works pretty well.  And no splinters.  Finally getting a little rusty after all these years of use.  Swiss+Tech is camouflaged in the tines.
 :D DAY 5

PXL_20240316_154951977.jpg
* PXL_20240316_154951977.jpg (Filesize: 246.06 KB)

Might as well throw in a photo of the Swiss+Tech next to a  91mm for scale.  You can see the wire-cutting notch behind the plier pivot and the small cutting surface that acts as a set of shears.  The shears will actually cut light metal, or plastic.  I tried it on some folded up junk mail and it cut through perfectly.  Doesn't take a big bite, so don't expect to do any big jobs in a hurry.  Best wishes.  G

PXL_20240316_120803345.jpg
* PXL_20240316_120803345.jpg (Filesize: 93.5 KB)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 11:21:24 AM
    The Swiss+Tech challenge almost ground to a halt yesterday.  I took a little trip to Walmart and since it was a little cool, I wore a windbreaker.  You know the kind.  Short waisted, nylon, couple of little handwarmer pockets, some quilting.  I popped the Swiss+Tech in a pocket of this thing and after I got out of Walmart, I patted my pocket.  Nothing.  Continued on to Dollar Tree for Pop Tarts.  Figured the tool was likely in the pick-up.  It was. 
     I should have clamped the tool on a keychain.  When you close the jaws and turn up the screwdriver 'legs' there is a nice open space left inside the pliers.  Perfect for putting the tool on a keychain or beltloop.  As long as the tool stays folded up, the pliers are locked securely. 
     The mini tool weighs 1.6 ounces, so it is fairly chunky.  Lots heavier than a Classic, but less than a Spartan.  I don't like the feel of it on a keychain that is already too heavy.  As I said before I had been carrying this on a belt pack.
     To use the pliers or wire cutting capabilities, you must unfold the drivers.  However, you can use either driver by itself and leave the pliers locked.  Hold the tool and use it like a straight screwdriver, or fold the screwdriver halfway out and hold the tool in a 90 degree way.  Lots of torque can be generated that way.  Maybe more than the pivots on the tool can stand. 
     Either driver works okay.  The slot driver tip is fairly thick and tapers quickly, so you can't use it on deep slotted screws or any screw with a narrow slot.  The handles have serrations that are one eighth inch apiece.  There are no numbers on the graduations.  They also add a little gripping surface.  How about some pictures?  Best wishes.  G
 :) DAY 6

PXL_20240316_223347943.jpg
* PXL_20240316_223347943.jpg (Filesize: 159.66 KB)

PXL_20240316_223407392.jpg
* PXL_20240316_223407392.jpg (Filesize: 148.92 KB)

PXL_20240316_223440125.jpg
* PXL_20240316_223440125.jpg (Filesize: 140.64 KB)

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 04:58:27 PM
I am enjoying this thread.  I am now 71 yo and just learned that a pair of gloves prevents splinters, mostly.   :cheers:
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 07:07:14 PM
Nice of you to drop in, Jeff.  I don't have any coffee made.  I have a little bench around the side here where we can stay out of the wind.  Did you see my new Opinel?  Sure is a honey.  Best wishes.  G :D

PXL_20240318_152832571.jpg
* PXL_20240318_152832571.jpg (Filesize: 206.74 KB)

gb Offline Des911

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 07:25:00 PM
I am enjoying this thread.  I am now 71 yo and just learned that a pair of gloves prevents splinters, mostly.   :cheers:

You're only young, I'm 75  :)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 07:32:28 PM
  I didn't hear you come up, Des.  Scoot over Jeff, so Des can sit down.  Nice day, except for the wind.  I heard you just got a new SAK, Des, is that right?  Why don't you post a photo on the MTo site?  Let everybody take a look.
  Yessir, it's supposed to get down below freezing tonight.  I think I will cover some of the flowers to keep them from getting nipped. 
:whistle:

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 07:58:05 PM
Slid over to make room.  Opinel looks nice.    Gary, you should golook at my two slasher threads.  One did not work.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 08:16:05 PM
    Gosh Jeff, I hate slasher movies.  All that screaming and blood.  Oh, you mean that Woodman's Pal, or whatever you call it.  Yeah, one was a little too close up.  Couldn't tell what was happening.  I used to see these things all the time at flea markets.  They usually had a red metal carrier that they fastened to.  These were the old ones.  Haven't seen one in years.  Probably expensive now.
     I was looking for a spot to put out a trail camera and came across this in the yard.  See if you can figure out what it is?  I disarranged it a little.  It might have been easier to identify before.  Maybe not.  Best wishes.  G

PXL_20240318_175554309.jpg
* PXL_20240318_175554309.jpg (Filesize: 342.3 KB)

gb Offline Des911

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 08:22:02 PM
MTO site?? Being new could you tell me where I should be looking?

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 08:27:20 PM
  You are on the MTo site right now.  Multitool.org.  You could post it right here, if you wanted.  Or on the Swiss Army Knights board.  Just title a new thread "My New SAK" or something.  See if you can figure out how to post a photo. 
  Just a hint.  Use the blue Attachments and other options link.  Click on it.  Then click Choose File.  Find your photo on your computer or whatever.  Double click it.  Click blue Insert attachment.  Post.  Might need to resize the photo if it is bigger than 512KB.  Best wishes  G
 :cheers: 

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 09:30:03 PM
  No guesses on what the white stuff was?  That was polyester fiberfill.  After it went through the plumbing of a coyote.  I know what it was made of because there was a piece of a label.  The heavy rain washed out the nasty residue and left only the fuzz.  I think the coyote must have eaten an oven mitt or something.  Probably got some of its inner tubes scrubbed out nicely with the fiber. 
   Happens more than you think.  I found where one coyote had tried to digest some kind of plastic tray or flower pot or something.  Best wishes.  G

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2024, 05:08:10 AM

I was wondering if it was that but I forgot to post.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2024, 12:18:09 PM
   High winds yesterday.  I heard a tree go down on the property, but didn't see where.  When it warms a little (and the sun comes up) I will have to walk down the driveway and look things over. 
    This was Swiss+Tech with some yard tools.  Might need different tools today.  Birds are singing.  Electricity is still on.  I felt like eating a little breakfast.  Could be worse.  Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 7
PXL_20240318_152513567.jpg
* PXL_20240318_152513567.jpg (Filesize: 203.84 KB)

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #27 on: March 20, 2024, 04:57:50 AM
My outlaws had tornado force winds in their area with softball sized hail.  By some miracle they were spared most of the wind and only experienced pea sized hail.  Folks to the west of them got hit real hard.  Lots of cars were totaled.  The biggest event in their area was a large water oak that fell on the road.

Glad you still had electricity.  I'm always up for a bit of breakfast.  I never mind some grits or some biscuits and gravy.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 20, 2024, 01:41:45 PM
    Got industrious and decided to saw and lop yesterday.  The cold wind whistled through my clothes and froze my goofy grin.  I think I will let it warm up some more. 
     My pole cutter looked a little dull and so I used my utility two-sided carborundum for sharpening and a block of wood to tap out the bolts.  Swiss+Tech handled the nut loosening and tightening.  The handles/screwdrivers don't lock on this tool, so they try to swivel out of line when you are using the pliers.  Annoying, but I decided to use just this tool instead of going back for any more efficient tools.  It all worked out.  Folded the Swiss+Tech and put it back in my pocket. 
     Some cheapie tools are so soft that the screwdrivers or other parts are damaged when you use them.  The Swiss+Tech hasn't shown any damage so far.  The screwdriver pivots might be a little looser than before.  Indeed the rivets holding the screwdriver/handles are probably the weak point of this tool.  It is really a fairly light duty tool.  I have actually used every tool on this thing for around the house work.  Shears, wire cutter, pliers, both screwdrivers.  So far I haven't used the measuring marks for anything. 
     If you might need some small pliers or some screwdrivers for carrying, along with your usual pocket knife, one of the Swiss+Tech tools might work for you.  It is less capable than a full size multi for sure, but small size does have its advantages.  I know the same company makes some other types of knife based multis, but don't have any experience with them.  I saw one on the net that looked like a Leatherman T4, or whatever they are called.  Might be okay.
 :) DAY 8

PXL_20240319_190143249.jpg
* PXL_20240319_190143249.jpg (Filesize: 144.51 KB)

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 21, 2024, 12:28:43 PM
   Another trip to shopping center.  I was a little more careful with Swiss+Tech this time.  Looks like the lot is empty.  I just parked a long way from the store.  Lots of people packed into the generic Chinese restaurant.  There is a new Jersey Mike's sub shop in the same area, but it never has opened.  Looks finished, just not open.  I think everybody goes to Chick-Fil-A anyway.  I haven't been in a fast food joint in years. 
    I carried the little tool, but didn't use it.  Might work outside if the wind doesn't kick up.  Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 9
PXL_20240320_174739506.jpg
* PXL_20240320_174739506.jpg (Filesize: 161.42 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%