Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss+Tech carry

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Swiss+Tech carry
Reply #30 on: March 22, 2024, 12:54:41 PM
    Swiss+Tech went along on a trip to the dumpsters with a follow-up to a coin laundry.  There is a photo offered as evidence of course. 
 :D DAY 10

PXL_20240321_160251558.jpg
* PXL_20240321_160251558.jpg (Filesize: 84.62 KB)

I have received a couple of personal messages from one of our members about his family.  It seems after a certain photo event with a hobo knife and a pizza, that the wife has seen the value in the hobo knife.  Indeed she took possession of the implement for herself and left instructions that similar instruments should be procured for the children.  That started me thinking of some of my past inventions.
    First there was the do-it-yourself SwissChamp.  That's the red one in the photo.  It has received some favorable notice here.  Then, there is my homemade Leatherman Leap which was a FoBe Opinel award winner.  That is it in blue.  Easily convertible to black and maybe to red if I could find my red masking tape.  Then I got an idea.... how about a hobo knife?

Leatherman Leap.jpg
* Leatherman Leap.jpg (Filesize: 177.58 KB)

And here it is.  The hobo multi tool.  All parts easily obtainable.  The spoon is readily available in any soup kitchen when the server isn't looking.  The knife also.  You see that this one has been sharpened and reshaped from an old GI kitchen knife.  Much more useful in the hobo camp that way.  That is a P38 can opener twist tied to the primary module.  The pencil is used for doing crossword puzzles and ear cleaner.  Spoon doubles as an excellent back scratcher.  All wraps up nice and tidy in a newspaper.   
PXL_20240322_111848218.jpg
* PXL_20240322_111848218.jpg (Filesize: 148.42 KB)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 01:07:17 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 22, 2024, 01:47:02 PM
   I put out some supper for the roaming critters last night.  First guest was a large black cat.  It took one little sniff at the simulated mashed potatoes and dry packaged turkey dressing and turned up its little black nose.  Much too well fed for such provender.  Now I know where all my bad luck had come from lately.  The 'bad luck' will wish it had stayed home as soon as the local coyote pack zeroes in. 
   Several raccoons and possums were less particular.  Then a gray fox showed up.  First one I have caught in a camera in two years or so.  Used to be common visitors.  Not anymore.  Best wishes.  G

Screenshot (99).jpg
* Screenshot (99).jpg (Filesize: 111.79 KB)

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #32 on: March 22, 2024, 02:11:57 PM
I like your hobo idea, LOL!
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 22, 2024, 02:45:53 PM
More multitools should have writing implements. I've started trying to slap plus scales onto as many of my SAKs as I can whenever I can find them for cheap.

Any chance of a DIY Swisstech?

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 22, 2024, 03:36:30 PM
   I looked at a YT review for a Swiss+Tech plier based multi-tool.  Might not still be available.  Last time I looked at the Swiss+Tech website I saw some knives, but no multis of any kind.  Evidently, they sell lights and power banks and other sorts of things through W-Mart.
   I just happened to run across the Swiss+Tech I have now by accident.  It's primary allure was the $2 price tag.  When I first got it, I used it to hook up some 300 Ohm twin lead to an antenna. I also tightened some screws with it around the house.  After carrying it on a keychain for a while, I decided the weight was greater than the utility.  That was how it got relegated to the first aid kit in my waist pack.
    I rarely carry a writing instrument now.  When I carried a pen, I generally used any ball point that would write.  Generally something I found somewhere or got from the bank.  I always have something to write with in the vehicles. 
    Here is a better shot of the home-made utility knife.  It was in a cigar box of punches, drifts, wood bits and other junk.  There was also a rusty square ended carpet knife.  $1 for the box.  Best wishes.  G

PXL_20240322_144452153.jpg
* PXL_20240322_144452153.jpg (Filesize: 186.89 KB)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 03:52:03 PM by IMR4198 »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35 on: March 22, 2024, 04:16:18 PM
   I put out some supper for the roaming critters last night.  First guest was a large black cat.  It took one little sniff at the simulated mashed potatoes and dry packaged turkey dressing and turned up its little black nose.  Much too well fed for such provender.  Now I know where all my bad luck had come from lately.  The 'bad luck' will wish it had stayed home as soon as the local coyote pack zeroes in. 
   Several raccoons and possums were less particular.  Then a gray fox showed up.  First one I have caught in a camera in two years or so.  Used to be common visitors.  Not anymore.  Best wishes.  G
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
Well, since that's a black and white cam, a grey fox is the only type you could get on film...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #36 on: March 22, 2024, 04:31:21 PM
 :rofl:

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 23, 2024, 11:29:39 AM
    I tried to use Swiss+Tech to help fix the last working clock in the house.  It actually still worked.  At least the minute hand did.  Screwdriver was too stubby.  Somehow I managed to fix it anyway.  That is a drawback to the tool.  The flat bit has too much taper.  It is more like a chisel.  If it fits the screw for width, then just the very tip will engage.  Too thick to fit to the bottom of a screw slot. 
    I did tighten some screws on various things around the house.  Doors and such.  The screwdrivers were adequate for that.  Doorknobs are difficult becase the tool can get blocked out before the screw can be reached.  Generally I could fold the Swiss+Tech so that the screwdriver was working at 90 degrees.  The Phillips driver worked as well, but it fairly large.  Not much good for smaller screws.  There is generally enough grip area to move a fairly tight screw, but it would probably be possible to wreck the screwdriver pivots. 
    I might as well post a photo of using a slot driver to adjust a screw.  Best wishes.  G
 :) DAY 11

PXL_20240314_152945053.jpg
* PXL_20240314_152945053.jpg (Filesize: 113.9 KB)

Yard work yesterday until the rain started.  Saw mostly.  I clipped a Leatherman to my belt pack but lost the thing before I starting working.  Noticed as I was dragging away tree limbs that the Leatherman was gone.  Walked back over where I had been and found it under a tree.  I hate the clips on the sides of knives and multis.  G
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:35:26 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2024, 12:07:08 PM
   Does everyone get the same ads as me when you go to MTo?  Every day lately I have gotten some sort of tease with the line "Dana Delaney, 67, leaves nothing to the imagination."  Dana used to be cute, and might even be a cute 67 year old, but I don't need to see her biological external mechanisms. 
   Digital pimps notwithstanding, it might be time for a Swiss+Tech post.  You have already viewed this Chinese cutie with nothing on.  Not even a coat of oil.  I am not sure if this thing is plated with something, but I will say it never has rusted yet.  The little keychain tool was used to straighten the tip on the not so cute revamped table knife from a previous post.  You can easily see the bend in the original photo.  Swiss+Tech straightened the metal right out.  I must have sharpened the edge sometime in the past.  It cuts paper rather well. 
    I haven't put enough pressure on the little mini multi yet to loosen it up.  The center pivot for the pliers is the same sort of rivet that holds on the screwdriver 'legs'.  Just bigger in diameter.  Will I continue carrying the multi once this yawn provoking series of posts is finished?  Hmmm?
Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 12
PXL_20240323_182159122.jpg
* PXL_20240323_182159122.jpg (Filesize: 147.1 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 25, 2024, 12:21:01 PM
     The evil computer somewhere in an underground cavern finally decided that I wasn't going to bite on the Dana Delaney cheesecake.  So, a bunch of semi-conductors got together and decided to tempt me with a newer model.  Now it is Demi Moore, 61, Leaves Nothing to the Imagination.  Hmmm?  No.  Don't need to see Demi Moore's upholstery either. 
     Swiss+Tech did some plier work.  The small pliers are okay for adjusting jam nuts and tightening knurled pieces.  I saw where some models came with the screwdriver 'legs' swiss cheesed to lighten them.  They should all have been done that way.  The little tool has high utility for something so small, but in spite of its small footprint it is fairly chunky.  Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 13
PXL_20240314_142321987 (1).jpg
* PXL_20240314_142321987 (1).jpg (Filesize: 83.96 KB)

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #40 on: March 25, 2024, 03:29:35 PM
I liked my little SwissTech but the pivots loosed up in mine and it was never the same.  I tried re-peening them but to no avail.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2024, 04:34:36 PM
   I can easily see how putting a lot of stress on the tool would loosen things up.  The screwdrivers were described by the Swiss+Tech outfit as both being No. 2 drivers.  The rivets are definitely a little on the small side especially for trying to turn out a tight, rather large screw. 
   This little multi is in a different league quality wise than the laughable Chinese camp knife that I carried last time out.  With that said, it could have been improved.  Best wishes.  G
 :)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 26, 2024, 12:06:59 PM
   Almost finished with this 15 day thing.  I have a halfway decent photo of a pocket dump.  The battered Casio watch wasn't exactly in my pocket.  But it got in for the snap anyway.  I always carry a folded paper towel as well.  You might see a corner under the wallet.  It looks just like a folded paper towel in case you are curious.  Swiss+Tech is there. 
   So far I have lost the Swiss+Tech once, and a Leatherman Wingman once.  Both last week.  I didn't think I would need a tether, man for my Leather, man.  But I might be wrong, man.  Most of these multi-tools are slippery.  Might need to find some grippy tape for them, or maybe slop some kind of rubber coating on the outside. 
   I didn't get a photo tease with Dana or Demi yesterday.  Just one for Michael J. Fox.  There was a photo and a statement that he was 61 and living alone in Tennessee.  I hope that wasn't a plea for a roommate.  At least there wasn't something about photos 'Leaving Nothing to the Imagination'.  I asked whether anyone else was getting these kinds of ads on MTo, but nobody answered.  Here is how my imagination runs.  Overage star scuffs through the kitchen with tatty pink fuzzy slippers without lifting her feet.  Says, "Coffee".  Then a swear word.  "Smurf".
I ask, "Breakfast?".   She says, "Don't start with me". 
Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 14
pocket dump.jpg
* pocket dump.jpg (Filesize: 159.69 KB)

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #43 on: March 26, 2024, 06:31:50 PM
 :rofl:

I'm seeing fishing and hotel advertisements.

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 27, 2024, 11:39:51 AM
    Swiss+Tech will probably be put away after today.  If you are interested in the history of these tools or the company, there are lots of interesting things to read here on MTo.  Chako did a series of posts about them under the Cheap but Cheerful board.  Hiraboo did some under the Collector's Corner.  There should be plenty of used ones out there if you decide you want one. 
    I might as well show a photo of Swiss+Tech taking it easy sitting in the sun.  Next to a drink and a cutie in a swimsuit.  The bathing beauty is the one on the old Seven-Up bottle.  There is a little branch that runs down beside my house.  It is the location of choice for all the thirsty critters in this locale.  After a hard rain, it floods out in one corner of the yard.  Sometimes it washes down some old relic from somewhere.  I never have discovered where.  Once I found an old Coca Cola bottle that had been discontinued before WWI.  This Seven-Up bottle was dredged up the same way.  Lots of print on the rear of it.  Raised yellow lettering.  It has an Asheville, NC address.  About 70 miles from me.  The date on the bottom is 1941. 
    Demi and Dana have gone away it seems.  I probably didn't pay them enough attention.  Thanks to all who have followed along.  Best wishes.  G
 :tu: DAY 15

PXL_20240313_183804927.jpg
* PXL_20240313_183804927.jpg (Filesize: 117.32 KB)

PXL_20240324_175218532.jpg
* PXL_20240324_175218532.jpg (Filesize: 340.4 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 27, 2024, 05:00:43 PM
Did you keep any of the other stuff that turned up? I

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 27, 2024, 05:37:54 PM
  I got a couple of old glass milk bottles.  I might still have one.  Also an old glass bottle that used to have a stopper evidently.  It is about the size of an aspirin bottle.  They turned up one at a time over the years.  I seem to remember an old square glass ink bottle too.
  I will send a photo of the aspirin bottle thing.  It says 2 fluid ounces cast into the bottom of the glass.  I never even cleaned it up.  The glass is heavily stained in all this junk.
Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:

PXL_20240327_164312745.jpg
* PXL_20240327_164312745.jpg (Filesize: 313.3 KB)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 05:50:01 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 11, 2024, 05:09:02 PM
I'm going to be stuck bladeless for a couple weeks mid June while my wife and I travel. I might have to take my own shot at a Swiss+Tech challenge.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 11, 2024, 05:23:16 PM
   Jump right in there, Bob.  Could be some fun.  Might find some new home usage for the tools. You will do a better job of it than I did, I'm sure.  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD