Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Zippo Owners Club

Pacu · 209 · 24054

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The Zippo Owners Club
Reply #180 on: March 06, 2022, 03:14:31 AM
A Zippo I have had since the late 90s :cheers:

:nanadance:          :nanadance:

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #181 on: April 30, 2022, 05:35:41 PM
I have a few and one of my latest is this brass 1941 replica, 4 barrel hinge with brass insert.  If someone were to ask me which Zippo to buy, I would recommend this one.

* Replica 1941.jpg (Filesize: 207.63 KB)
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #182 on: May 01, 2022, 09:13:03 PM
I have a few and one of my latest is this brass 1941 replica, 4 barrel hinge with brass insert.  If someone were to ask me which Zippo to buy, I would recommend this one.

:iagree:

us Offline variable

Reply #183 on: June 23, 2022, 09:48:56 AM
Just finished assembling this Zippo Arc insert kit. Bronze top and TPU case with a decision coin.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #184 on: September 04, 2022, 04:35:20 PM
:viking:

* 20220904_161230.jpg (Filesize: 172.09 KB)
Bantam, BantamAlox, HikerWood, Huntsman, Soldier, RescueTool, SwissTool, Surge, Charge, Wave, Raptor, Rebar, Signal, Pulse, Skeletool, SkeletoolRX, ST300, PST, PS4, P4

Offline VASILIS M

• New User
Reply #185 on: September 07, 2022, 05:46:21 PM
Hi! I have a 50 years and glowing stronger zippo lighter but i am nlot sure if it's real or not...
On the bottom stamp it has the zippo brand name and the bradford p. a. it also has the seriak number J V . But it has not the made in usa...
So I would like to know if it's real or not and if it's real is it worthy?
Thanks for your time!!!

us Offline edc yes

Reply #186 on: September 08, 2022, 04:50:06 AM
Picture Please :ahhh
-Craftsman/Sheffield box cutter, color of the day
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)
-The year before last year's portable electronic interface (holster modded)
-Mountainsmith Day Pack, mildly modded

us Offline Sos24

Reply #187 on: September 17, 2022, 08:04:41 AM
Here is one of my favorite Zippos with a Zippo soft flame butane insert.

My Zippos never saw much carry until I discovered the Butane inserts.  I just recently discovered the actual Zippo brand soft flame and really like it.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #188 on: September 26, 2022, 11:53:22 AM
Is it just me or do the Zippo lighters need constant refilling.
I don't use mine often, as I don't smoke.
But I carry it for camping and within a week, only lighting a few fires and it's dry again.
I have to carry fuel with me and that seems to be rather pointless.
tools is what defines us as humans

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #189 on: September 26, 2022, 02:15:53 PM
But I carry it for camping and within a week, only lighting a few fires and it's dry again.

Would the Zippo butane insert suit your usage better ? 
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #190 on: September 27, 2022, 04:26:50 AM
It’s pretty normal for all the fuel to evaporate out of a Zippo within a week or two, give or take depending on environmental conditions.  This evaporation may be somewhat slowed by sealing the lighter in a ziploc bag, purpose-made case, or even using a simple rubber band.

Ultimately, though, as cool as Zippos are, they just aren’t the optimal choice for hiking, camping, or survival kits.  My recommendation is to toss three full-size Bics in your pocket or pack for about the same weight as one Zippo, at a total cost of about $3.  Replace any that fail to light or otherwise give you any trouble at the next opportunity, and you should be good to go.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #191 on: September 27, 2022, 02:46:56 PM
The drying out is from fuel evaporation and is the reason I like butane inserts, no evaporation. 

As nate j said, a few Bics will last longer and be less weight for camping.  This is why as much as I love my Zippos, for camping and emergency bags I use Bics or Clipper lighters.

If wanting to carry a Zippo specifically, for nostalgia or have favorite, then recommend getting a butane insert.  You won’t experience the evaporation and will last longer.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #192 on: September 28, 2022, 01:50:06 PM
I have a few Zippos that I like but don't use (I even already lost  [somewhere in my stuff] the lastet Zippo Slim I found at a flea market last week), and at least a Bic in every bag (and I don't smoke)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #193 on: November 28, 2022, 05:57:52 PM
Zippos are cool and fun if you collect different ones.  I had one but sent it down the road and while I could have got a insert I'm really just to lazy to refill when needed  :facepalm:.  Mini and full size Bic for me. 

I do enjoy seeing all the really neat ones folks have.  I even like the "tricks" some do with them. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline edc yes

Reply #194 on: November 28, 2022, 09:28:16 PM
Ha yeah zippo's are cool.
We were barbecueing with neighbors in the driveway one cool winter's evening, and one of the neighbor brothers asked me why I didn't inhale the first pull after lighting my rolly (Pronounced 'role-ee' duh j/k). I told him it was because the burnt fuel from a zippo could affect the taste of that drag and the rest of the smoke, too.
He thought I was cool, and that that was a really cool thing to know. I didn't know he was a connesieur (sp?), and I didn't know he thought I was cool. haha

Zippos for cool and context, bics for everything else!
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #195 on: November 30, 2022, 12:04:33 AM
Ha yeah zippo's are cool.
We were barbecueing with neighbors in the driveway one cool winter's evening, and one of the neighbor brothers asked me why I didn't inhale the first pull after lighting my rolly (Pronounced 'role-ee' duh j/k). I told him it was because the burnt fuel from a zippo could affect the taste of that drag and the rest of the smoke, too.
He thought I was cool, and that that was a really cool thing to know. I didn't know he was a connesieur (sp?), and I didn't know he thought I was cool. haha

Zippos for cool and context, bics for everything else!
The taste factor is another thing you don’t have to worry about with the Butane insert.  Now if you want to be really cool, the next time you light your rolly in front of him, you should have a Zippo with the butane cigar/pipe insert.

us Offline edc yes

Reply #196 on: November 30, 2022, 03:46:08 PM
 :like:
IINNNteresting!
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #197 on: November 30, 2022, 03:56:43 PM
 :tu:  Level up.  Now if you want a different old school cool find yourself a Beatie Jet Lighter  :whistle:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #198 on: November 30, 2022, 04:16:22 PM
That looks like a pipe lighter,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #199 on: November 30, 2022, 05:25:38 PM
Its really neat thats for sure.  I picked one up and did some cleaning and it fired right up.  I wont use it but it was sure neat to see work. 

Sos got me thinking with her Zippo insert post.  I'm not sure I'd have kept my Zippo even with an insert.  Maybe I'll pick one up again at the flea market and have a go again. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #200 on: December 01, 2022, 08:44:36 PM
Its really neat thats for sure.  I picked one up and did some cleaning and it fired right up.  I wont use it but it was sure neat to see work. 

Sos got me thinking with her Zippo insert post.  I'm not sure I'd have kept my Zippo even with an insert.  Maybe I'll pick one up again at the flea market and have a go again.
The main reason I carry a Zippo is the nostalgia and fidget factors.  I have a few from Navy ships and it is more fun to carry and play with than just leaving on a shelf or in a box.  They are also safer to fidget with than a knife.

The sad thing is I had more but Customs/TSA confiscated several.  They all had the stickers still on them showing that they never had fuel in them, but they were taken anyway. 

es Offline zdec68

Reply #201 on: January 20, 2023, 01:53:29 PM
I have always liked Zippos.  When he smoked it was the lighter he always used.  When I quit smoking I stopped using them, by not using them regularly the gasoline ended up evaporating and I couldn't use them, so I went to the Bic, Clipper... I would like to use them again with a butane insert, but I have doubts.  I'm looking for the normal butane one, with a normal flame, or better a jet type, I don't trust piezoelectric systems much.  are they reliable?

When I get home I'll see if I can post a picture

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #202 on: January 20, 2023, 05:08:44 PM
Welcome zdec!

I carried a Zippo with the single torch insert for a while.

The piezo ignitions are highly reliable in my experience, though like pretty much anything else they will eventually (rated for 10,000 cycles) wear out and have to be replaced.  Note that the Zippo single and double torch inserts have piezo ignitions, while the soft flame insert has a more traditional flint ignition with replaceable flints.

Like most other torch/jet lighters, it isn’t the ignition that usually ends up having problems, it is the gas nozzle/system.  This seems to get plugged up or otherwise stop working after a while.  It’s one of the reasons I don’t carry one anymore.

The other problem was that I felt like I was having to refill them very frequently.  Zippo rates the single torch insert at 100 five-second lights per fill (500 seconds total burn time).  I’m not sure I was getting even this out of mine, but I wasn’t actually keeping records.  For comparison, the Zippo double torch insert is rated at 60 five-second lights (300 seconds total), and the Zippo soft flame insert is rated at 125 five-second lights (625 seconds total).  A full size Bic is rated at 3000 (probably one-second) lights, and independent testing generally puts them at more than 3000 seconds of total burn time.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #203 on: January 20, 2023, 07:04:08 PM
Glad this got bumped again.  Next time out the the flea market I'll have to pick up a Zippo and try an insert.  The fidget factor is fun thats for sure.  I'll use for my grill and candles or whatever around the house.  I did like flicking open and close. My partner not so much  :ahhh
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline zdec68

Reply #204 on: January 20, 2023, 11:55:27 PM
Welcome zdec!

I carried a Zippo with the single torch insert for a while.

The piezo ignitions are highly reliable in my experience, though like pretty much anything else they will eventually (rated for 10,000 cycles) wear out and have to be replaced.  Note that the Zippo single and double torch inserts have piezo ignitions, while the soft flame insert has a more traditional flint ignition with replaceable flints.

Like most other torch/jet lighters, it isn’t the ignition that usually ends up having problems, it is the gas nozzle/system.  This seems to get plugged up or otherwise stop working after a while.  It’s one of the reasons I don’t carry one anymore.

The other problem was that I felt like I was having to refill them very frequently.  Zippo rates the single torch insert at 100 five-second lights per fill (500 seconds total burn time).  I’m not sure I was getting even this out of mine, but I wasn’t actually keeping records.  For comparison, the Zippo double torch insert is rated at 60 five-second lights (300 seconds total), and the Zippo soft flame insert is rated at 125 five-second lights (625 seconds total).  A full size Bic is rated at 3000 (probably one-second) lights, and independent testing generally puts them at more than 3000 seconds of total burn time.

I think then I'll stick with a Clipper, even if it's not that cool

es Offline zdec68

Reply #205 on: January 21, 2023, 12:00:27 AM
Some photos:

I need a ligth-box  :dunno:

Regards!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 12:13:00 AM by zdec68 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #206 on: January 21, 2023, 12:13:41 AM
 :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #207 on: January 21, 2023, 04:35:03 AM
Some very cool Zippos for sure!
:tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #208 on: January 22, 2023, 09:09:13 AM
I think then I'll stick with a Clipper, even if it's not that cool
Zippo introduced a new soft flame butane insert which seems really nice and uses a flint wheel.  Also the Thunderbird soft/yellow flame inserts use a flint wheel.

As compared to the Clipper, I think reliability may be a draw with the soft flame inserts, especially with the new non-round wheels of the Clipper.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $30.00
PayPal Fees: $1.73
Net Balance: $28.27
Below Goal: $271.73
Site Currency: USD
 9%