Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber CD Plier Head Material?

Offline Kenobi1

Gerber CD Plier Head Material?
on: May 16, 2024, 03:00:04 PM
Something I notice I DON’T see many pictures of online is pictures of broken plier heads on Gerber Center Drives (Or MP600s for that matter) compared to other brands. Is there something different about the materials or manufacturing process with these tools?  Is it the design? Or is it just a smaller sample size leading to fewer pictures of broken units?

I never broke a plier head on any multi tool and I’ve had Leatherman, SOG, Roxon, and Gerber, but poking around the internet  while researching Getting a Center Drive for the nostalgia and upgraded toolset from my old MP600 I had as a kid, I just didn’t see this issue popping up much and it made me curious.

* IMG_7206.jpg (Filesize: 267.51 KB)

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber CD Plier Head Material?
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 12:45:04 PM
Hello and, welcome! IIRC, the steel used is 420, which is similar to the one used by SOG and Learherman's. It's probable that, as you said "it is just a smaller sample size leading to fewer pictures of broken units", particularly the CD. What little I know from browsing is that most fails/breaks are on the tips of the MP 400/600 series, being the most models sold from Gerber (but still a smaller number than Leatherman's or Vic's), probably from twisting (same as with leatherman's); I've seen an occasional full jaw fail at the cutters cutout. The other major fail of Gerber models are their replaceables cutters but, since they're not really integral to the tool, does not physically affect them (the company's and/or tool image is another story judging by the comments/reports on the web). I own MP 400, 600 and CD's and really like them for what they are and the ability to modify/customize them to my hearts content; my only broken tools in over 10 years of ownership had been a small flat driver from attempting to remove a seized derailleur screw (later converted to a mini awl) and a pair of the tungsten carbide cutters with a wheel spoke (replaced with HSS cutters and no more issues); one of the CD's have slightly crooked jaws but they do not limit or affect gripping performance at all, just aesthetically.

Offline Kenobi1

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 06:49:23 PM
Hello and, welcome! IIRC, the steel used is 420, which is similar to the one used by SOG and Learherman's. It's probable that, as you said "it is just a smaller sample size leading to fewer pictures of broken units", particularly the CD. What little I know from browsing is that most fails/breaks are on the tips of the MP 400/600 series, being the most models sold from Gerber (but still a smaller number than Leatherman's or Vic's), probably from twisting (same as with leatherman's); I've seen an occasional full jaw fail at the cutters cutout. The other major fail of Gerber models are their replaceables cutters but, since they're not really integral to the tool, does not physically affect them (the company's and/or tool image is another story judging by the comments/reports on the web). I own MP 400, 600 and CD's and really like them for what they are and the ability to modify/customize them to my hearts content; my only broken tools in over 10 years of ownership had been a small flat driver from attempting to remove a seized derailleur screw (later converted to a mini awl) and a pair of the tungsten carbide cutters with a wheel spoke (replaced with HSS cutters and no more issues); one of the CD's have slightly crooked jaws but they do not limit or affect gripping performance at all, just aesthetically.

Thanks for the thoughtful and highly substantive response. I’m liking my CD the more I inspect and use it. I was initially skeptical about quality control due to my experience with other deeper products and components, mostly manufactured overseas, but the CD looks to be a completely different animal as far as the amount of care that is put into its manufacture. For example, even the plunge grind on the main blade is way more precise than I would expect on a product of this price. I’m very impressed how it compares to my other multitools. 

* IMG_7221.jpg (Filesize: 163.01 KB)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 09:26:12 PM by Kenobi1 »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 06:52:06 PM
   Nice photos.  Best wishes Gary (IMR)
 :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 02:19:22 PM
I've had no issues with my Center Drive in the years that I've had it, and I put it to hard use.  Overall, I've had great experience with Gerber, but I've seen some examples of not so great QC.  Just luck of the draw for me!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD