Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC for the car.

DaveK · 41 · 3399

Flash

Re: EDC for the car.
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 05:09:57 PM
Dudes and dudesses,

I carry 3 boxes in my boot, spare fuela and a few extra clothes...poncho etc etc

In these boxes is enough kit to dig my car from snow, feed my family for 3 days, keep them warm for 3 days, entertainment, basic car maintenance, camping equipment, cooking abilities etc etc

The reason?

Some years ago I helped evacuate an entire housing estate (don't ask) and the people had literally 20 mins to get out.  The result...total panic and a VERY scary situation.  Since then I reasoned if I get the 20 min warning I will be VERY far away by the tenth minute.  I pack up my family and make like a tree and leave.

The benefit of this is that if we get stranded in a normal car journey, we are good to go.

One MASSIVE tip from my old stakeout days is carry a wide necked bottle in your glove box (think fabric softener bottle) it makes going for a pee whilst stuck on a motorway a LOT easier than trying with several miles of traffic watching you in the hard shoulder.

I gues you don't drive a Mini.....

Me in a mini would not look good (think Noddy)  :D

But I only drive a regular sized people carrier  ;)

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 07:38:19 PM
Dudes and dudesses,

I carry 3 boxes in my boot, spare fuela and a few extra clothes...poncho etc etc

In these boxes is enough kit to dig my car from snow, feed my family for 3 days, keep them warm for 3 days, entertainment, basic car maintenance, camping equipment, cooking abilities etc etc

The reason?

Some years ago I helped evacuate an entire housing estate (don't ask) and the people had literally 20 mins to get out.  The result...total panic and a VERY scary situation.  Since then I reasoned if I get the 20 min warning I will be VERY far away by the tenth minute.  I pack up my family and make like a tree and leave.

The benefit of this is that if we get stranded in a normal car journey, we are good to go.

One MASSIVE tip from my old stakeout days is carry a wide necked bottle in your glove box (think fabric softener bottle) it makes going for a pee whilst stuck on a motorway a LOT easier than trying with several miles of traffic watching you in the hard shoulder.

Flash won't the police in your country consider you "going equiped" with those bolt cutters?
(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 07:41:51 PM
Dudes and dudesses,

The reason?

Flash won't the police in your country consider you "going equiped" with those bolt cutters?
Nick is a copper, so I doubt he's that worried :D

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Flash

Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 07:51:32 PM
Dudes and dudesses,

The reason?

Nick is a copper, so I doubt he's that worried :D

Being a cop has nothing to do with (no one is above the law....I enforce it, I don't get around,under or over it).  They are part of a comprehensive tool kit and they would have to prove they are connected with some sort of theft, burglary or cheat.

Very hard to prove and when taken into context with the rest of the kit a jury would never convict

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 04:35:22 AM
Well I carry in my car...
3-5 Ponchos (just in case if I got anyone in the car ;))

:o There is no way 3-5 of me would fit in many if any cars :D

Well in my motorbike days I always carried a  poncho and sleeping bag should I breakdown at all :)

:pok: No funny business with you either :twak: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:

Dudes and dudesses,

Not you 2 Flash :-[ :ahhh :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 04:37:55 AM
Actually I carry a poncho with me as well (blasted varmit needs to quit eating so much :twak: :D ) they are terribly handy ;)

Plus a blanket and some spare warm clothes

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 05:20:15 AM
In the hatch of my '89 Toyota Supra Turbo I carried....
- booster cables
- booster pak
- first aid kit
- 3-D cell flashlight
- umbrella
- candles
- drinking water
- Sog Power Plier

These items were edc'd in my car for years and I never had a situation where I needed to use any of them.   One winter day, returning home after a late night out with friends, out of nowhere I thought of the Power Pliers  and decided to take it into the house  to play around with.  The next morning as I prepared to leave for work,  my car was gone.  Stolen, never recovered.... But I still have my Power Pliers.   :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 09:46:17 AM

Well in my motorbike days I always carried a  poncho and sleeping bag should I breakdown at all :)

Dudes and dudesses,

You are a popular lad aren't you :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:40 AM

Dudes and dudesses,

You are a popular lad aren't you :D

LOL Lots of poncho lovers :)

Hmmm multitool.org poncho products perhaps ;) hahaha
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 12:22:54 PM
One winter day, returning home after a late night out with friends, out of nowhere I thought of the Power Pliers  and decided to take it into the house  to play around with.  The next morning as I prepared to leave for work,  my car was gone.  Stolen, never recovered.... But I still have my Power Pliers.   :D

As per Pulp Fiction - that must be divine intervention?

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 01:12:42 PM
Lots of good suggestions here :salute:

I have a special B.O.B. for my vehicle for "Winter" travel
(which I can also carry)
-in it are various tools (MTs, Saks, knives-big n small, etc)
-extra warm clothing (sweater, gloves, warm socks, head coverings etc)
-long lasting candles (made for survival, mine last 36 hrs in a tin)
-fire-kit for many ways to make fire (matches, lighters, ferro-rod, etc)
-para-chord, various lengths (3',10',20'etc)
-metal and plastic cups
-and more.

-I always have these in it;
-big ole chopping knife
- a small-strong shovel which is
good for digging and defense.
-flares (all kinds)
-signal mirror
-non-perishable food
-bright emergency vests
-a well stocked first-aid-kit (always adding to it, recycling)
and all kinds of torches, crank, shake,others (long lasting types is best)
all kept in strong zip-lock bags.

I have a truck so I also have blankets, sleeping bags tool
and more in p.s.k. and my cell phone, plus what's on me.

what I'm looking for next is a good cargo net to secure it all well
Dunc talked about that once and I don't want "missiles" flying at
me in the event of a roll-over or crash! :ahhh
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:21:32 PM by WhichDawg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68