Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Executive?

Poncho65 · 298 · 30182

nz Offline KiwiMark

Re: Victorinox Executive?
Reply #90 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:57 AM
I grabbed a new black (cellidor) Executive from Amazon - I had to because I didn't have one and you know, gotta have one!
It is a really nice SAK, good if you want bigger than the 58mm but not the full 91mm size.

Of course you could try not having a Victorinox Executive, but that's how you get scurvy!
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: November 12, 2013, 06:00:47 AM
He he.. I 'discovered' the 74 mm series just recently. I like the Executive and already got a couple of old NIB ones in black. But mostly I like the Director - same knife but in stainless steel handles - and I have one with me right now. I should post photos at some time. Great little SAKs. The smaller variants as well... Prince, Windsor etc.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: February 29, 2016, 02:11:40 AM
Soooooooooo here we are  7 years later :o Guess who still has an executive almost daily with them as an EDC? ................... Give up? ::) :rofl: This guy  :waving: I guess I have found the knife that best works for me in size and utility :tu: It is still paired at work with my Rebar and usually I pair it with whatever other MT I am carrying as well  :multi: I occasionally grab another SAK for weekends or a quick trip to town after work weeknights but I find that more often than not I have my Exec with me :2tu:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #93 on: February 29, 2016, 12:32:29 PM
My Executive is my favorite knife/tool.  Been carrying it for more years than I can remember.  I may forget to carry my folder, but my Executive is with me whenever I have pants on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: February 29, 2016, 04:39:56 PM
Has anyone found a solution to the lack of cap lifter? I'm planning on gifting one to my girlfriend but it really needs a cap lifter. I saw Enki_ck had formed one in the file (here). Any other solutions?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #95 on: February 29, 2016, 04:46:49 PM
Has anyone found a solution to the lack of cap lifter? I'm planning on gifting one to my girlfriend but it really needs a cap lifter. I saw Enki_ck had formed one in the file (here). Any other solutions?

That's a DOVO, not a Vic. The cap lifter is original.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: February 29, 2016, 04:51:31 PM

Not sure a cap lifter mod to the Executive has been done YET  :pop:

What about a OPT for cap lifter duty :think:.  I am also a fan of the Executive and when carrying it I too miss an opening layer.
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: February 29, 2016, 04:59:58 PM

Not sure a cap lifter mod to the Executive has been done YET  :pop:

What about a OPT for cap lifter duty :think:.  I am also a fan of the Executive and when carrying it I too miss an opening layer.

I've seen some folks here carrying a Vic cap lifter stripped from a SAK as an OPT.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:55 PM
First page of this thread shows 1 that Spork has modded :tu: and Neil who is apparently MIA now was working on 1 few years ago to be modded as well but don't know if anything ever come of it :think: I wished Vic would do more with this line cause it is a very capable carrying size compared to the 58 line and now that Wenger is with them they could carry some of the 65 mm line design stuff over to it you would think :climber:

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #99 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:43 PM
Well... the Executive is a good tool. No doubt. But I don´t carry it so frequently. It has a nice setup, but it lacks several good tools. No real choice of drivers and no caplifter. But it has a secondary blade - so it qualifies as an EDC tool.

It should get more pocket time and more attention. The whole 74 mm series, I mean

You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #100 on: February 29, 2016, 06:32:32 PM
Well... the Executive is a good tool. No doubt. But I don´t carry it so frequently. It has a nice setup, but it lacks several good tools. No real choice of drivers and no caplifter. But it has a secondary blade - so it qualifies as an EDC tool.

It should get more pocket time and more attention. The whole 74 mm series, I mean

When I got my Executive I was immediately smitten.  I love the size and the tool set on it.  Missing an opening layer is just an excuse to carry my Cadet tho.  Ok I really never need an excuse to carry 2 SAKs. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: February 29, 2016, 06:38:58 PM

When I got my Executive I was immediately smitten.  I love the size and the tool set on it.  Missing an opening layer is just an excuse to carry my Cadet tho.  Ok I really never need an excuse to carry 2 SAKs.

I am sure most peeps here have been guilty of carry 2 or more SAKs at one time or another  :whistle: :D I carry a MT all the time anyways so this always compliments it.  I guess I never need a cap lifter anyways :think: but if I do I always have a Gerber Shard in my pocket as well ::) :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: February 29, 2016, 06:42:29 PM
I mostly use the can opener myself as I don't drink beverages with caps.  I love the Vic can opener and use it as my only can opener actually.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: February 29, 2016, 06:46:53 PM
I mostly use the can opener myself as I don't drink beverages with caps.  I love the Vic can opener and use it as my only can opener actually.   

I guess the fact that I always have a LM with me I never feel that this needs an opener on it I guess :think: :tu: But I if all I carried was a SAK then I would have the same concern :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: February 29, 2016, 06:48:15 PM
The Vic opener is better  ;) for the job than a LM but in a pinch it still works for me when I need it  :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:13 PM

That's a DOVO, not a Vic. The cap lifter is original.

Oh, got tricked then, saw it while reading up on the executive (or obviously not reading so much :oops:).

As for other tools, I think I'll have to start her off slowly. It wouldn't be tactical trying to get her from zero to two tools in one go... I was thinking of replacing the small blade one way or another since I think that for someone not used to carrying a knife it seems kind of redundant with two blades. But then I saw it and it is just such a neat little blade.

us Offline DaveBr

• Carpe SAKem
Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:11 PM
The Executive is my absolute favorite knife to take on vacations :tu: :tu:  The blade length is great and the scissors are fabulous.
The orange peeler is an odd tool  ??? - mine is scary sharp, making me a bit leery to use the tip as a screwdriver. I often use it to open packages and envelopes.

DaveBr

I like big SAKs and I cannot lie...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #107 on: February 29, 2016, 07:26:34 PM
I'd like to see a Manager in 74mm ( is there one comparable? ) tho yes it would take away from the great thinness. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #108 on: February 29, 2016, 07:40:51 PM
The Executive is my absolute favorite knife to take on vacations :tu: :tu:  The blade length is great and the scissors are fabulous.
The orange peeler is an odd tool  ??? - mine is scary sharp, making me a bit leery to use the tip as a screwdriver. I often use it to open packages and envelopes.

I admit I that don't use the screwdriver on the orange peeler much myself either :whistle: But I do use the peeler itself quite often and most of the use is actually on oranges or tangerines :o :D I have on occasion used it for package opening as well :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: February 29, 2016, 07:42:50 PM
I'd like to see a Manager in 74mm ( is there one comparable? ) tho yes it would take away from the great thinness.

:think: Dont think there is anything comparable but I am sure if there is someone from here will know of it  :tu: It would make a very nice 74 as well

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #110 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:18 PM

For a caplifter I cut a notch at the base of the orange peeler as described in The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual but I find it is easier to open bottles with the tip of the scissors:  set the tip of the fixed blade into a crimp of the cap and pry outward, repeat a couple times on around the cap.  Not fast I can wait a moment for a cold brew.  But yeah I wish it had a dedicated caplifter like Vic's Manager.
The Exec's blade is much stronger than the 58mms and having a second blade means I can do what I want with the main blade and always have a real sharp one in reserve.  But when the wife hit an extension cord with the lawn mower I brainlessly cut into the cord to make a repair without unplugging it and zapped a notch into the edge of the blade.  Cut a few more matching notches with the dremel to make it look like it was always serrated.  Still a reliable EDC.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:32:34 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #111 on: March 01, 2016, 05:02:14 PM

For a caplifter I cut a notch at the base of the orange peeler as described in The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual but I find it is easier to open bottles with the tip of the scissors:  set the tip of the fixed blade into a crimp of the cap and pry outward, repeat a couple times on around the cap.  Not fast I can wait a moment for a cold brew.  But yeah I wish it had a dedicated caplifter like Vic's Manager.
The Exec's blade is much stronger than the 58mms and having a second blade means I can do what I want with the main blade and always have a real sharp one in reserve.  But when the wife hit an extension cord with the lawn mower I brainlessly cut into the cord to make a repair without unplugging it and zapped a notch into the edge of the blade.  Cut a few more matching notches with the dremel to make it look like it was always serrated.  Still a reliable EDC.

Quite shocking :o :rofl: Sorry I had to say it ;) I have never thought about putting a serrated edge on 1 of the blades :think: It might make it more useful for cutting rope and things :tu: I think I may try it on 1 of mine sometime

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #112 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:54 PM

For a caplifter I cut a notch at the base of the orange peeler as described in The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual
but I find it is easier to open bottles with the tip of the scissors:  set the tip of the fixed blade into a crimp of the cap and pry outward, repeat a couple times on around the cap.  Not fast I can wait a moment for a cold brew.  But yeah I wish it had a dedicated caplifter like Vic's Manager.
(...)

Any pics of that? I'm curious...

:think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: March 01, 2016, 08:07:35 PM

I am sure most peeps here have been guilty of carry 2 or more SAKs at one time or another  :whistle: :D I carry a MT all the time anyways so this always compliments it.  I guess I never need a cap lifter anyways :think: but if I do I always have a Gerber Shard in my pocket as well ::) :D

May I have your attention, please.

As a carrier and enthusiast of the 58mm size SAK's, the classic in particular, I have forbears got by fine without a dedicated opening layer on my tiny SAK's. This is done by realizing that the crown cap type of cap found inmost beers do not require a dedicated cap lifter. The metal used is very very soft and easy to deform. Deform like in bending outward to release the cap. I have done this with the tiny SD tip of the nail file on the classic. It's also done by using a Bic lighter, spoon, butter knife, another beer, house key, and other things.

The SD tip of the executive can open any beer. Just insert the SD tip under one of the tips of the cap flanges, then gently twist, not pry, the metal cap edge. Do this about 1/3 of the way around the cap, and it is now easy to push the cap off with a thumb. It takes less than a minute, and no cap lifter is used. Just the SD tip of the executive orange peeler, or in my case, the classic. This is why I do find the classic or executive to be less than a great edc, even though it lacks an opening layer.

As for cans, as an ex GI, meaning I spend some years in the army learning all kinds of things, I kept my trusty P-38 in my wallet. This simple tiny tool lets me do all kinds of things since it is a very versatile little thing. It not only opens cans with ease, but it also serves as a large flat screw driver, a Phillips screw driver when you use a corner, scraper, awl, and as a bottle opener when used right. And it's small and flat enough to fit in your wallet. I've carried mine there for over 40 years.

An executive in a pocket with a P-38 riding backup in the wallet is a great EDC duo.

Edit to add;

Also, if you are concerned about heavier screw driving, a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver is .99 cents at the local Sears store in the tool section. These two tiny items give the 58mm classic or the 74mm executive the full tool capability of the larger 84's.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:17:13 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:23 PM
P38 huh  :think:..  I've often wondered if I should get one, you know just to try out.  I always stop short for one simple reason, the floppy blade thing.  I know, I know, easy fix.  I don't want to always mod everything I carry.  With my Cadet2 being my thinest SAK with openers, for me specifically the can opener, I'd rather just carry it. 

I love to pair it with my Executive and have quite a powerful duo.  If I want to get crazy then I'll either pair the Exec with my SI or OC Farmer. 

Now don't get me wrong the Classic SD has a very strong presence in my life as well.  However it too needs a "battle buddy" like the Cadet2 or SI. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #115 on: March 02, 2016, 04:05:45 AM
P38 huh  :think:..  I've often wondered if I should get one, you know just to try out.  I always stop short for one simple reason, the floppy blade thing.  I know, I know, easy fix.  I don't want to always mod everything I carry.  With my Cadet2 being my thinest SAK with openers, for me specifically the can opener, I'd rather just carry it. 

I love to pair it with my Executive and have quite a powerful duo.  If I want to get crazy then I'll either pair the Exec with my SI or OC Farmer. 

Now don't get me wrong the Classic SD has a very strong presence in my life as well.  However it too needs a "battle buddy" like the Cadet2 or SI.

I will give the P38 another plus one :tu: Once you get the hang of it the P38 can make short work of many cans :D I rarely carry one because I hardly ever take a can that needs opening like that to work but I use to carry 1 on my keychain all the time and it did come in quite handy  :cheers: I tried to minimize my stuff down some time ago to make my EDC more manageable and I guess it didn't make the cut but I do always keep it in a very accessible spot if I do need 2 take it ;)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #116 on: March 02, 2016, 05:57:59 AM
I've always carried a P-51, which is tha larger brother to the P-38, with my Executive. This gives a can/package opener, a larger flathead ( edge of the P), and a Phillips driver ( corner of the P's flat edge) for no extra weight or bulk. That combo served me faithfully for many years.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #117 on: March 02, 2016, 12:11:23 PM
Fortunately, I've never had a need for a cap-lifter.  I really do love the Executive.  It's the perfect EDC SAK for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #118 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:44 PM
I've always carried a P-51, which is tha larger brother to the P-38, with my Executive. This gives a can/package opener, a larger flathead ( edge of the P), and a Phillips driver ( corner of the P's flat edge) for no extra weight or bulk. That combo served me faithfully for many years.

The Aussie FRED is an even further evolution of the P-38 idea, adding a cap lifter and a spoon to the can opener.  The spoon is tiny though, I imagine it would take a pretty long time to eat your field rations just with that.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #119 on: March 02, 2016, 12:36:02 PM
Because of you lot, I'm carrying my Executive today...

:facepalm:

Not so good for preparing breakfast, cutting the bread and spreading butter took some more time, but it still managed to do it and I like the SAK possibilities. Scissors, two blades and regular/phillips drivers (the tips of the orange peeller and nail file). I think I got all my office needs covered.

:salute: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.53
Net Balance: $23.47
Below Goal: $276.53
Site Currency: USD