Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Talent Flash Drive

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Super Talent Flash Drive
on: February 23, 2009, 12:24:44 AM
I just bought one of these:

Anyone know anything about them?  I got the 8g version and wanted it because the stereo in my Jeep has a USB port and I don't like how far out a standard flash drive (like my Sandisk Cruizer) sticks out.  I'm paranoid that I'll hit and break it off at some point, ruining both drive and stereo.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: Super Talent Flash Drive
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:40:30 AM
It could be American made/assembled.

http://www.supertalent.com/home/company.php
(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:43:14 AM
That's not exactly the greatest endorsement for electronics is it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:48:06 AM
Lol - that's exactly what I thought Def.

I'm sure it would be something of a rarity if it is US made though.
I used to come here a lot.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:11 AM
Well if it is US made, it's probably US assembled at most.  Even the super high quality memory module in the Swiss Memory/Swiss Flash series of drives is made by Samsung:

I think I read somewhere that microchips can't be made in the Western world because of the environmental damage and health risks.  I don't know if that's true or not though... maybe we just aren't very good at it!  :P

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 01:00:09 AM
8gs. :o That thing is tiny.
"

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 01:05:21 AM
I think I read somewhere that microchips can't be made in the Western world because of the environmental damage and health risks.  I don't know if that's true or not though... maybe we just aren't very good at it!  :P

That sounds more like an excuse propagated by western businesses to me Def. I think the reality is probably that the west was way too slow to see the potential in these technologies, and that western labour is too expensive to compete. Probably a combination of the two in truth.
I used to come here a lot.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:06:46 AM
Lol - that's exactly what I thought Def.

I'm sure it would be something of a rarity if it is US made though.

I know the Ironkey is US assembled.
(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:07:20 AM
They have them up to 16g, but I figure I am going to use it mostly for the car, so why do I need the extra space?  

Here's some other pics of it I found online:

Oh yeah, and it's supposed to be pretty tough too:

Although flash memory usually isn't affected too much by water, dust, impact etc since there are no moving parts anyway.  What I did like about it, is it's supposed to be a metal body, and you can get a gold plated one, although I really didn't think that was necessary.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:11:29 AM
It's pretty cool. I like the small size and metal body. Does it come in Titanium? Gadget Guy would be all over it if it did. :D
"

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:13 AM
Does the package actually say anything about where its made?
(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:51 AM
That looks really cool.  :tu:
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:21:04 AM
Can't spot it myself, but I'd imagine that the company of manufacture is here somewhere http://www.supertalent.com/home/index.php
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 01:38:44 AM

I'll let you know when it arrives- I bought it online.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 01:43:02 AM
How much does one of those cost?
(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:24 AM
8g was about $25 with free shipping.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:00 AM
Thats reasonable an Ironkey of that capacity costs $299.00.
(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 02:09:43 AM
As far as I know, the Iron Key's big claim to fame is the security software, not the drive itself.  I suppose as far as that goes it really all depends on how valuable the info you have on it is.  For me, I don't keep anything that special on it.

I use the security software built into the U3 Smart drives like my Cruzers for secure information, and while it probably isn't as secure as the Iron key is, again, I don't keep anything too special on it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:42 AM

According to the site:

State-of-the-Art Manufacturing

With state-of-the-art ISO 9001 certified manufacturing facilities in both USA and China, Super Talent has over 20 highly automated surface mount (SMT) assembly lines. The company relies on its 20-years of experience making memory products and adherence to strict quality standards to produce high quality products with outstanding reliability.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 02:29:46 AM
As far as I know, the Iron Key's big claim to fame is the security software, not the drive itself.  I suppose as far as that goes it really all depends on how valuable the info you have on it is.  For me, I don't keep anything that special on it.

I use the security software built into the U3 Smart drives like my Cruzers for secure information, and while it probably isn't as secure as the Iron key is, again, I don't keep anything too special on it.

Def

I heard it self destructs, I wonder what that means...
(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 02:36:55 AM
Unfortunately, self destruct means it either locks down the chip so the info can't be accessed, or it deletes the info on the drive.  This leaves the drive intact so the person who has it can format and use it again in the future.

What I'd personally like to see is a small plastic charge built into it that will actually blow up if the wrong password is typed in too many times.  Nothing serious, but something akin to a firecracker that would destroy the drive and the USB port it's plugged into.  There's nothing like a small explosion to keep people honest!  :D

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 02:38:27 AM
I was hoping it would literally explode(think Mission Impossible)...
(

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:11 AM

According to the site:

State-of-the-Art Manufacturing

With state-of-the-art ISO 9001 certified manufacturing facilities in both USA and China, Super Talent has over 20 highly automated surface mount (SMT) assembly lines. The company relies on its 20-years of experience making memory products and adherence to strict quality standards to produce high quality products with outstanding reliability.

Def

Based on the label, that style of writing, its most probably Chinese made. IMHO, If that product is really for export the quality might be good, the problem sometimes with Chinese products is that their quality control is not strict. On a same batch of product you will get good quality or crappy quality, so I say you have a 50/50 chance in getting a good quality one.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:07 AM
for that price if something happens to it it's no big deal... the usb port on your stereo is a different matter... what has got me thinking, is why do they make the port stick out like that? why not hide it below a faceplate (think like a battery slot on a remote) or develop some sort of usb disk with a hinge that folds over so that it doesnt stick out like a jousting lance...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 12:43:46 PM
I have managed to find them over here at a decent price.

Let us know Def how you get on as this might be a good cheap option for me to get over here.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:13 PM
for that price if something happens to it it's no big deal... the usb port on your stereo is a different matter... what has got me thinking, is why do they make the port stick out like that? why not hide it below a faceplate (think like a battery slot on a remote) or develop some sort of usb disk with a hinge that folds over so that it doesnt stick out like a jousting lance...

Yeah, it is a pain in the butt, especially with where the stereo in the Jeep is located.  In my Sunfire the stereo is somewhat farther away as it is with many of the cab forward type automotive designs, so it's not right in your face as it is with the Jeep.  I have a similar stereo in the Sunfire btw, and I never really was comfortable with how far out the flash drive stuck in that, so you can imagine how thrilled I am in the Jeep!

I used to see all kinds of tiny flash drives- one actually had six small 1g drives in a business card sized holder:

I'd like to get a hold of a drive that small (physically) but with a little more storage space.  That's what I was looking for when I found this Super Talent drive.  I have some Bluetooth adaptors that size for my laptop and I find them pretty handy as they don't stick out much and don't need to be removed.  That would be a perfect size for use my cars, but no such luck.

My BT dongles are about this size only square...

Anyways, since both stereos also have SD card slots I suppose I could just as easily use an SD card, which only sticks out about 1/8 inch, but where's the fun in using something I already have? 

:gimme:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 05:01:28 AM
It arrived safe and sound today, and boy is this thing small!  And, with a solid metal body, it's got a bit of heft to it, despite it's really tiny size.

You don't get an idea of how small it is by looking at pictures- you really have to hold this thing to believe it.  I'll take some pics tomorrow, but so far I am pretty happy with it.  It's solid, fast and is very small, so I don't think I am going to accidentally break it if I bump it while it's plugged into a USB port either in the front of my computer or in my Jeep's stereo.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 06:09:20 AM
Where did you pick it up for that price? I just lost my USB drive.  :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 03:24:42 PM
Ebay....

If I was going to buy another one, I think I'd still stick with the 8gb rather than investing $60-70 in the 16gb version.  $30 isn't a huge amount of money to waste, but $70 is, and you know in 6 months you'll see 16gb drives for $10 at the grocery stores...

I installed TrueCrypt on it and I like it because I have the space to put several decent sized secured folders on it- one for work, one for personal info and so on, each with separate passwords.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:44 PM
As promised, some pics!  I'll try to get some of this drive and a regular sized one sticking out of the dash in my Jeep so you can see why I was concerned, but for now, here's a few shots of some stuff I just happened to have lying around:

Next to a Micro SD card and teeny, tiny card reader

Next to my until-now conveniently compact Sandisk Cruzer

And, perfect for Multitool.org and SOSAK members, next to the bottle opener on a Wenger SI!

As you can see, it's pretty tiny, and so far, I am really liking this little drive.  But, I'm not ready to throw out my Cruzer just yet.  Despite being 1/4 the size of the Cruzer, it has 4X the capacity, but I've gotten rather used to the U3 software on the Cruzer.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%