Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dose the quality of Powerlock declined?

Offline joeye975

Dose the quality of Powerlock declined?
on: February 24, 2009, 05:31:55 AM
    Hi guys, I got my new Powerlock EOD  2.0 several days before. I am really exciting with the new features of this model, such as V-cut and gear cover. But what make me disappoint is I found some defects with the new one.

First, the scales of the ruler on one of the handle are really blured. You know I am often use the ruler in my work cos. I am an engineer and I like to use the ruler on leatherman before!

Second, I found very remarkable scar son the handle which do not happend on my S60 bought before!

In my mind, my previous S60 is nearly perfect and I am really pround of it. But right now I feel a little disappointment with the new one!

What  do you think? Or your guys have the same problems?
S69 defect 001.jpg
* S69 defect 001.jpg (Filesize: 66.71 KB)
S69 defect 003.jpg
* S69 defect 003.jpg (Filesize: 108.53 KB)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:33:30 AM by joeye975 »

Offline joeye975

Re: Dose the quality of Powerlock declined?
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:40:47 AM
Additional Pic!
S69 defect 004.jpg
* S69 defect 004.jpg (Filesize: 72.6 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:57:19 AM
Just on the strength of the bad ruler stamping I'd send it back.  I know that I'd have found it really annoying at work as well.  The way I see it is that if is listed as a feature on the tool then it should work.  Any less than that and it should be returned.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 04:30:24 AM
I agree if your not satisfied with even the rulers operation then it needs to be sent back to be fixed or replaced :)

Offline joeye975

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:27:04 AM
I have asked the local dealer, they told me that it is nearly impossilbe to send it back to be replaced because the fee for delievery and tax is nearly $70, who will afford it? What a pathetic!  :(
What I want to make clear was does these quality problems are popular or just because I am unlukcy!
Maybe I should buy a new one to assuage my regret! :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:29:22 AM by joeye975 »

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:53 AM
Well I think you may have gotten somewhat unlucky with a quality control problem?  I've included a couple of pic's of my sog's for your reference. 
Looking on the brighter side maybe they double dipped it in the chrome finish and it bleached out the numbers on the second coat?  ;) Shouldn't have to worry about rust then. :)

sean
Sog Ruler Shot 002.JPG
* Sog Ruler Shot 002.JPG (Filesize: 79.24 KB)
Sog Ruler Shot 003.JPG
* Sog Ruler Shot 003.JPG (Filesize: 70.3 KB)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:02:26 AM
additional shot
Sog Ruler Shot 004.JPG
* Sog Ruler Shot 004.JPG (Filesize: 77.47 KB)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:47 AM
I actually took my new style Powerlock with the piano keys and gear covers and leave it in the garage for work duty there.  I actually dislike the piano key system Sog's gone with but do like the gear covers.  I found the release mechanism on the new one's require quite a bit more pressure to release the tools where as the old style is a much lighter unlock.  But it's good having it in the shop because you can't beat the plier head they cut really nice.

Offline joeye975

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:25:49 AM
Thanks Sean! You know I have another SOG tool S60. I find chrome finish of the S69 I bought recently was not so good compare with S60. So it is my question about the quality declined!
For the piano key, I also find it is not so smooth in the very beginning. But I find the reason. Because the new machanise is fixed inside the handle so if you tighten the hex bolt too much, then the piano key will be blocked. What I do is add some small copper washers between the components to enlarge the space inside of the handle and could make the components, especially the main blade, be opened more easily. Then the piano key will be perfect!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:51:11 AM by joeye975 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD