Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Always a cop ...

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Always a cop ...
on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:10 PM

Once the badge goes on, it never comes off, whether they
can see it, or not.  It fuses to the soul through adversity,
fear and adrenaline and no one who has ever worn it with
pride, integrity and guts, can ever sleep through the
'call of the wild' that wafts through bedroom
windows in the deep of the night.

When Cops Retire

When a good cop leaves the 'job' and retires to a
better life, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet
others, who may have already retired, wonder.  We wonder if
he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.
We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie
that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those
past times.  We know in the law enforcement life there is a
fellowship  which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up
in the back of the closet .  We know even if he throws them
away, they will be on him with every step and breath that
remains in his life.  We also know how the very bearing of
the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job.  You will still look at
people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or
choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the law
enforcement world with a respect for what they do; only
grown in a lifetime of knowing.  Never think for one moment
you are escaping from that life.  You are only escaping the
'job' and  merely being allowed to leave
'active' duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into
retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment
that 'Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be
called children of God,' and you are still a member of
the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

Civilian Friends vs. . Police Friends

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Get upset if you're too busy to talk
to them for a week.
POLICE FRIENDS:  Are glad to see you after years, and will
happily carry on the same conversation you were having the
last time you met.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Have never seen you cry.
POLICE FRIENDS:  Have cried with you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Borrow your stuff for a few days then
give it back.
POLICE FRIENDS:  Keep your stuff so long they forget
it's yours.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Know a few things about you..
POLICE FRIENDS:  Could write a book with direct quotes from
you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will leave you behind if that's what
the crowd is doing.
POLICE FRIENDS: Will kick the crowds' ass that left you
behind.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Are for a while.
POLICE FRIENDS:   Are for life.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Have shared a few experiences. ..
POLICE FRIENDS:  Have shared a lifetime of experiences no
citizen could ever dream of...

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will take your drink away when they
think you've had enough.
POLICE FRIENDS:  Will look at you stumbling all over the
place and say, 'You better drink the rest of that before
you spill it!!'  Then carry you home safely and put you
to bed...

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will talk crap to the person who talks
crap about you.
POLICE FRIENDS:  Will knock them the hell out for using
your name in vain.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS:  Will ignore this.
POLICE FRIENDS:  Will forward this.

There are those that think they understand. And then,. . .
 .. there are cops.

Andrew J. Gnoza, III    :salute:
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Flash

Re: Always a cop ...
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30:08 PM
 :salute:

WHEN GOD CREATED POLICE OFFICERS

When the Lord was creating peace officers, He was into His sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared and said, "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

And the Lord said, "Have you read the spec on this order?  A peace officer has to be able to run five miles through alleys in the dark, scale walls, enter homes the health inspector wouldn't touch, and not wrinkle his uniform."

"He has to be able to sit in an undercover car all day on a stakeout, cover a homicide scene that night, canvass the neighborhood for witnesses, and testify in court the next day."

"He has to be in top physical condition at all times, running on black coffee and half-eaten meals.  And he has to have six pairs of hands."

The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands...no way."

"It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "it's the three pairs of eyes an officer has to have."

"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded.  "One pair that sees through a bulge in a pocket before he asks, May I see what's in there, sir?"  (When he already knows and wishes he'd taken that accounting job.)  "Another pair here in the side of his head for his partner's safety.  And another pair of eyes here in front that can look reassuringly at a bleeding victim and say, You'll be all right ma'am, when he knows it isn't so."

"Lord," said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow."

"I can't," said the Lord, "I already have a model that can talk a 250 pound drunk into a patrol car without incident and feed a family of five on a civil service paycheck." The angel circled the model of the peace officer very slowly.  "Can it think?" she asked.

"You bet," said the Lord.  "It can tell you the elements of a hundred crimes; recite the Caution warnings in its sleep; detain, investigate, search, and arrest a gang member on the street in less time than it takes five learned judges to debate the legality of the stop...and still keeps its sense of humor."

"This officer also has phenomenal personal control.  He can deal with crimes scenes painted in hell, coax a confession from a child abuser, comfort a murder victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how law enforcement isn't sensitive to the rights of criminal suspects."

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the peace officer.  "There's a leak," she pronounced.  "I told You that You were trying to put too much into this model."

"That's not a leak," said the Lord, "it's a tear." What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

"It's for bottled-up emotions, for fallen comrades, for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the Union flag, for justice."

"You're a genius," said the angel.

The Lord looked somber.  "I didn't put it there," he said.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:32:22 PM by Flash »

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:35:49 PM
I don't agree with the Civilian Friends vs. Police Friends thing. I don't think it takes into account people who have had job experiences, relationships and friends for many years. Police don't have exclusive rights to many of the things mentioned in this. Sure, Police have a kindred spirit, just as Soldiers, Firemen/women, ER doctors and nurses, EMT's, rescue divers, etc, etc, etc........ the list is endless.

I'm not disrespecting LEO's, just don't think it's unique to LEO's.
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:09 PM
I don't agree with the Civilian Friends vs. Police Friends thing. I don't think it takes into account people who have had job experiences, relationships and friends for many years. Police don't have exclusive rights to many of the things mentioned in this. Sure, Police have a kindred spirit, just as Soldiers, Firemen/women, ER doctors and nurses, EMT's, rescue divers, etc, etc, etc........ the list is endless.

Mike
I do not disagree with you, and the comparison (in my opinion) isn't meant to say its exclusive.  Those that share crisis have a different relationship with their brothers and sisters in the field than they do with other friends.  So it is true, but also true of a soldier to soldier relationship vs. a soldier to non-soldier friend. 

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:06:38 PM
From Lt. Col. Grossman:

....... We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful.? For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

......The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa."

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:19:13 PM

Mike
I do not disagree with you, and the comparison (in my opinion) isn't meant to say its exclusive.  Those that share crisis have a different relationship with their brothers and sisters in the field than they do with other friends.  So it is true, but also true of a soldier to soldier relationship vs. a soldier to non-soldier friend. 

Just so nobody misunderstands me. I say these things in nothing but the most respectful manner, like I would as if we were just hanging out face to face and having a conversation.

But I don't think the Civilian Friends vs. Police Friends gives civilians much credit for being loyal, understanding and insightful. It kind of makes civilians out to be ...... less than. Of course a police to police, soldier to soldier, etc, etc, relationship would be different, no doubt in my mind and totally understandable. But these generalizations are just that "general", in some cases (sadly) true. But they are not always the case.

We all have had experiences,sometimes by ourselves like in domestic violence cases or been with others and have shared experiences like police officers. By knowing this, by keeping in mind that we all have stories to tell, some good, some bad, I don't think making anybody out to be "less than" because they didn't share our experiences makes sense. Doesn't mean we can't relate to each other and understand what each other are going through just because we didn't/don't have common experiences.

I don't know that I'm explaining it very well and apologize for that. But just know, that I am in no way picking a fight with anyone, disrespecting them, or discounting their experiences.

Mike

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:25 PM
From Lt. Col. Grossman:

....... We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful.? For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

......The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa."

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

Now that I can totally agree with. In fact, most of the people I know fall into the "sheep" category. Good people, but sheep none the less. Like lyrics from the Jackson Brown song "Boulevard" ...... "Everybody walks right by like they're safe or something". That's fits most of the people I know, unfortunately.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:28:11 PM by mike »

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:27:12 PM
From Lt. Col. Grossman:

Now that I can totally agree with. In fact, most of the people I know fall into the "sheep" category. Good people, but sheep none the less.

Mike

I married one....wait.... not a real sheep....though she does have soft curly hair

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:29:31 PM
I married one....wait.... not a real sheep....though she does have soft curly hair

Now that's pretty funny.  :D

Mike

Flash

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:47 PM
Mike,

I know what you mean and take no offence  :salute:

Don't forget all Police, Soldier etc came from civvies.....I was not born a cop  ;) :police:

However, in just the last few years I have:

been stabbed, shot at, spat at, puked on, cried on, been bled on, seen a decaying corpse left in the sun for 3 months, arrested a rapist, locked up a murderer, had a biker die in my arms and then had to tell his mom that her only son has died painlessly when I know he died in agony, been arrested for assault (during an arrest....found not guilty and exonerated  ;))helped deliver a baby, seen a colleague die, etc etc.

Throughout most of the above, all that was with me was my badge and my partner.  These things form bonds that I for one never had out in civvie street.

I have also been with the craziest bunch of loons that can see the humour in the saddest of scenes (we have to , its the only thing that keeps us sane :ahhh)

I have also been honoured to serve my fellow man/woman.  I get to help people, have a great team, put foot to arse for Queen and Country, and after all that THEY PAY ME TO DO IT......crazy I know.

However, I have seen the worst AND best that we can do to/for each other.  Interesting to say the least.

Mans capacity for violence, destruction etc and creation, nurturing etc never fails to impress me.

Just my two pence worth

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:01 PM
This a a very meaningful thread! I feel obligated to always carry a firearm while not on duty.. I feel as if it's a responsibility..
B

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:51:40 PM
Seeing both u.s. and u.k. cops on this thread I went to find the inspector smiley skit from Reno 911, but couldn't find it on youtube.  :(

Anybody watched it?

Flash

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:30 PM
Forget Reno....THIS is what you need.....

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 10:58:13 PM
Seeing both u.s. and u.k. cops on this thread I went to find the inspector smiley skit from Reno 911, but couldn't find it on youtube.  :(

Anybody watched it?
Own the series...love em all.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:00:10 PM

That looks old....he probably knew Sir Robert Peel

Flash

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 11:02:00 PM

That looks old....he probably knew Sir Robert Peel

I live in the town that Bobby Peel came from....thats why English Cops are called "Bobbies"

Do you know why we are called coppers?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:30 PM
That's not what we used to call you when we were younger :D
I used to come here a lot.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 11:06:08 PM
I did know about bobbies...but damn if I know where copper came from.  Educate me

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:03 PM
"Constable On Patrol" comes to mind, but it also comes to mind that it's wrong. LOL! Copper badges maybe?

Mike

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:29 PM
I used to come here a lot.

Flash

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:54 PM
I did know about bobbies...but damn if I know where copper came from.  Educate me

Back in the days before pollution laws....London was a VERY smoggy city.  The best way to eliminate a troublesome Bobby was to sneak up on them, in the low lit alleyways and assassinate them with piano wire garotte.

To combat this Bobbies used to sew thin bands of Copper into the collars of their greatcloaks.

Hence the nickname "Coppers"  :police: :salute:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 11:09:36 PM

Back in the days before pollution laws....London was a VERY smoggy city.  The best way to eliminate a troublesome Bobby was to sneak up on them, in the low lit alleyways and assassinate them with piano wire garotte.

To combat this Bobbies used to sew thin bands of Copper into the collars of their greatcloaks.

Very clever! Thanks for that info!

Mike

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 11:13:23 PM

Thanks for the education.

Remember "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 11:19:48 PM

Back in the days before pollution laws....London was a VERY smoggy city.  The best way to eliminate a troublesome Bobby was to sneak up on them, in the low lit alleyways and assassinate them with piano wire garotte.

Hence the nickname "Coppers"  :police: :salute:

Remember "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Oh, don't you worry. I am, and I do, and I'm not even a Copper ...... muwahahahaha!  >:D

Mike

Flash

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 04:24:18 PM

I always liked...."Be nice until its time to not be nice" ;) >:D

Flash

Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 08:01:55 PM

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 08:05:24 PM
I treat every traffic stop as an armed encounter about to happen, upon approach the driver needs to convince me not to shot him.

Just a little officer safety humor.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 08:10:08 PM
I treat every traffic stop as an armed encounter about to happen, upon approach the driver needs to convince me not to shot him.

Just a little officer safety humor.

That's exactly why I keep both my hands at the 10 and 2 position on the wheel until I'm instructed to produce my proof of insurance, registration and drivers license. LOL!

Mike

Flash

Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:32 PM
I know what you mean.

Everyone I meet (even the calm ones) is not co operative.....they are POTENTIALLY Resistive.

As such you never let down your guard, you are aware of your 6 and never EVER go into code Green....always stay at Amber, until it kicks off....then you know you're at RED  :viking:

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 02:11:24 PM

[/quote]
LOL do you mind if I get that put on a T shirt for my next interview with our complaints department  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%