Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Always a cop ...

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Re: Always a cop ...
Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 02:34:31 PM

Remember "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

LOL do you mind if I get that put on a T shirt for my next interview with our complaints department  >:D
[/quote]

Just send me one too 

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 04:59:00 PM

Remember "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

LOL do you mind if I get that put on a T shirt for my next interview with our complaints department  >:D

Just send me one too 
[/quote]
It's a deal :tu: :rofl:

Flash

Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 06:10:38 PM
Me three  ;) :police: :cheers:

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 06:19:37 PM
Me three  ;) :police: :cheers:
I'll wait till your finished shrinking buddy(good effort)

Flash

Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 06:19:54 PM
 :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 11:08:52 PM
I wonder if they'll ever write poems for executive capitalist scum.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 11:12:18 PM
I wonder if they'll ever write poems for executive capitalist scum.

Maybe but they won't get published as the folk who run the publishing house would squash it  :D

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 10:45:56 PM

[/quote]

:rofl: Thanks, I needed a laugh!
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 01:25:31 AM
So... what do we do when the Sheepdogs become wolves?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:53 PM
I am not about to get into that given how another thread ended up

Flash

Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 05:57:36 PM

Jock....relax.  Its because sheep see us as wolves that they have the freedom to say such things.

Freedom they would not have under REAL wolves ;)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 06:43:02 PM

Jock....relax.  Its because sheep see us as wolves that they have the freedom to say such things.

Very true (am now breathing deeply in through the nose out through the mouth scented candles and warm bath on standby) :D

Flash

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 06:44:15 PM

Very true (am now breathing deeply in through the nose out through the mouth scented candles and warm bath on standby) :D

Find you happy place.....your special place ommmmmmmmmmmmm :angel:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:02 PM
It's all interesting to me ..... law, order, justice, crime, punishment and those who abide by the law, enforce the law, break the law, judge based on the law. Then you throw in human nature, geographic factors, politics, religion, economics, etc, etc, etc.

It's all very complicated and I don't think you can divide people's commitments for or against law and order, based on their job and whether or not they wear a uniform. Success, I think is measured where there is law, order, and some measure of justice together. When the three are combined, I believe it's successful because of everyone, not just law enforcement officers are doing their job. But because civilians are doing their jobs as well.

By it's very definition, "law enforcement" means that those who choose to become law enforcement officers are going to be dealing primarily with those people who are in fact violating the law. That it will be a somewhat thankless task, stands to reason. However, having said that. The majority of people are not violating the law, or violating it enough to merit having a law enforcement officer involved. Can you imagine if that situation were reversed?

There are many thankless jobs out there where nobody gets any positive feedback, or they don't get much. Do not misunderstand me, I truly appreciate law enforcement offices and the work they do. Why? Because they are doing the work I hired them to do and that I want them to do, and for the most part they do it very well. They do this in spite of not always having the necessary tools to do their jobs better, or not being paid enough, etc.

Now, my question to law enforcement officers is a simple one? What do you want from us law abiding civilians?  I smile and say hello to our local LEO's. I mean, we see each other all the time so it would be kind of stupid that I not acknowledge them. They acknowledge me back. State Troopers park at the bottom of our 800 foot driveway to catch speeders, I waive to them when I am coming or going, they waive back. But basically I leave them to do their jobs, just as I do most everybody else. I vote for increased spending for them, I contribute when there is a fallen or injured officer to help the families out.

This next bit might get some of you very upset. I would urge you to count to 10, and take it as an honest thought. It is not meant to start an argument. If you can't do this, read no further.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once more, what do you want? Because I really am quite tired of being called a sheep because I'm a civilian, and being told that I'm not appreciative enough. I'm also a little tired of hearing how thankless you feel your job is even though you obviously applied for that job. Also, bear in mind that just because some of us are civilians, does not mean that we have no bite. You may have the authority granted by our laws to use your bite, but do not think for a minute that some of us would not bite if we needed to for a specific circumstance or if our society simply broke down.

Just as I have been patient and listened to your opinions I would hope that you would be patient and listen to mine. I truly mean absolutely NO disrespect, I am just trying to understand what it is those of you in law enforcement want from civilians?

With all due repect,
Mike

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:13:43 PM by mike »
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:53 PM
Mike,  I think your taking the whole sheep, wolf, sheepdog thing the wrong way.  Call it a figure-of-speech.  It is meant to get officers to understand they must always be vigilant for those who seek to victimize others, it is not meant to insult those that are not in law enforcement...perhaps there is a better way to get the point across.  I do not wear a t-shirt that says "thank-me" I do not ask or complain about not being thanked, I just ask not to be made to feel ashamed when I am asked "what do you do for a living?"  Unlike other jobs we gladly run (not walk) towards gun fire and other human aggression so we are somewhat unique.  This thread started out with a very nice sentiment from a very nice person....can we please not turn it into something other than that?   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:22:54 PM by cgk »

Flash

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:51 PM
Wow, what a great post.

In my unique, humble and personal point of view I will endeavour to comment on some of your comments.

I believe it's successful because of everyone, not just law enforcement officers are doing their job. But because civilians are doing their jobs as well.

I completely agree....in Britain we police by consent and consent only.  None of this would be possible without the good subjects I work for

By it's very definition, "law enforcement" means that those who choose to become law enforcement officers are going to be dealing primarily with those people who are in fact violating the law.

There I must disagree, for every criminal I deal with there is the victim I deal with.  Seeing how the criminal scum hurt, rob, rape etc etc DECENT people may understandable harden a coppers heart.  If we let it all go to our heads then we'd go loony.  As a result some of tend to get hard in nature and almost defensive.

There are many thankless jobs out there where nobody gets any positive feedback, or they don't get much. Do not misunderstand me, I truly appreciate law enforcement offices and the work they do. Why? Because they are doing the work I hired them to do and that I want them to do, and for the most part they do it very well. They do this in spite of not always having the necessary tools to do their jobs better, or not being paid enough, etc.

Thanks, however all I like from my customers is a "Smile and a thanks" nothing more

Now, my question to law enforcement officers is a simple one? What do you want from us law abiding civilians?  I smile and say hello to our local LEO's. I mean, we see each other all the time so it would be kind of stupid that I not acknowledge them. They acknowledge me back. State Troopers park at the bottom of our 800 foot driveway to catch speeders, I waive to them when I am coming or going, they waive back. But basically I leave them to do their jobs, just as I do most everybody else. I vote for increased spending for them, I contribute when there is a fallen or injured officer to help the families out.

Dude, you are every coppers dream.  An eloquent respectful, law abiding guy. One that will get the respect back as its deserved I don't want sycophants or enemies....just the space to do my job  :salute:

This next bit might get some of you very upset. I would urge you to count to 10, and take it as an honest thought. It is not meant to start an argument. If you can't do this, read no further.

OK....counting to 10
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once more, what do you want? Because I really am quite tired of being called a sheep because I'm a civilian, and being told that I'm not appreciative enough. I'm also a little tired of hearing how thankless you feel your job is even though you obviously applied for that job. Also, bear in mind that just because some of us are civilians, does not mean that we have no bite. You may have the authority granted by our laws to use your bite, but do not think for a minute that some of us would not bite if we needed to for a specific circumstance or if our society simply broke down.

I can only speak for myself here and I must apologise if you think any negative comment was aimed at you.  IT was not intended.  I don't like the conertation that I might be a wolf in sheepdogs clothing (if that makes sense).

My "sheep" are those leftists that see me and my team as "bullys" or "powerseekers".  My impression of those sheep are the type that criticize me for breaking some drug addicts arm after he tried to stab me (true story), the kind of person that complains at the drop of the hat because when I arrested them for raping there 3 year old stepson complained because I didn't call him "Sir".

Best of all the person who complained I was ageist for offering a chair to a war veteran at a memorial day ::)

Just as we have been patient and listened to your opinions I would hope that you would be patient and listen to mine. I truly mean absolutely NO disrespect, I am just trying to understand what it is those of you in law enforcement want from civilians?

With all due repect,
Mike

(Sorry but I had to insert my stuff in bold so that it would stand out)

So, in all Mike if you took offence I am truly sorry.  I know mine is a hard job but so are others and no one is making me do it.  I am only good at Policing, its in my blood and I am incredibly proud of it.  Sometimes, however I forget to look at the other side of life.  As I always say I see the worst man can do and the best he can do.

:salute:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:47 PM
Mike,  I think your taking the whole sheep, wolf, sheepdog thing the wrong way.  Call it a figure-of-speech.  It is meant to get officers to understand they must always be vigilant for those who seek to victimize others, it is not meant to insult those that are not in law enforcement...perhaps there is a better way to get the point across.  I do not wear a t-shirt that says "thank-me" I do not ask or complain about not being thanked, I just ask not to be made to feel ashamed when I am asked "what do you do for a living?"  Unlike other jobs we gladly run (not walk) towards gun fire and other human aggression so we are somewhat unique.  This thread started out with a very nice sentiment from a very nice person....can we please not turn it into something other than that?   

I am sorry, it was(is) not my intention to make this ugly or anything like that. I guess, what I hear from law enforcement officers, soldiers, etc, etc is that civilians are somehow "less than", helpless, and just don't understand what you are going through or do for a living. We do, at least most of us do understand, and are appreciative. Can we "know" what you go through, of course not. But we do have the capacity to understand on an intellectual level. Through that understanding comes the respect that most of us have for you as both individuals and professionals.

Anyhow, never, ever apologize for what you do ..... ever. I mean that.

Mike

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 08:35:50 PM
Flash,

As always, you are thoughtful and a gentleman. Truthfully, I wish you guys all worked where I live.  :salute: :tu: :cheers:

Mike

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 08:43:21 PM
My last comment, which is really just a reiteration of past comments.

I do believe that we as a forum have the capacity to discuss topics that some might consider as too sensitive and still remain civil. We demonstrate this all the time on a regular basis that sensitive topics can indeed be discussed in a thoughtful, respectful and civil manner. Multitool.org has by far the fewest closed threads of any place I have ever been. That is a credit to you folks as decent human beings.

Thanks eodtech for starting this thread and for all the input, it has been very enlightening.
Mike

Flash

Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:00 PM
My last comment, which is really just a reiteration of past comments.

I do believe that we as a forum have the capacity to discuss topics that some might consider as too sensitive and still remain civil. We demonstrate this all the time on a regular basis that sensitive topics can indeed be discussed in a thoughtful, respectful and civil manner. Multitool.org has by far the fewest closed threads of any place I have ever been. That is a credit to you folks as decent human beings.

Thanks eodtech for starting this thread and for all the input, it has been very enlightening.
Mike

Hear hear  :salute:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 07, 2009, 01:50:41 AM
I took the veil back in the late seventies , early eighties . Should have stayed in , miss it like hell , am forever marked by it . Oh well , life goes on !Everything else since then has been pablum .

Chris

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #51 on: March 07, 2009, 12:33:04 PM
Over here, the army, police, firefighters, etc. are collectively coined "security forces". Policemen are officially called "instruments of order" and "laws of the city" (direct translations from the Greek words for them). Anyway, food for thought...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%