Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loose Surge

Offline Cleric

Loose Surge
on: February 27, 2009, 12:02:20 AM
I've had my Surge for about a month now and am loving it.  However, the side that has the can opener and larger screwdriver socket on it has become very loose.  In fact, they will fall about 1/3 open when I open the tool.  As you can imagine, this is aggravating and gets in the way of closing it all the time.

Now, the hinge has a security torx on it.  I don't currently own that size of torx... but am thinking about picking it up and just tightening it up.  My question to all of you multitool-gurus... Is this something I should send it into Leatherman to have checked out?  Am I missing a deeper issue or is it simply the hinge being a bit loose?

Thanks!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Loose Surge
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:16:37 AM
At least it's not morally loose :D :angel:

But seriously;

If you don't have the right tool, ship it back with a "pretty please" note :tu:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:19:13 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:23:23 AM
I had the same problem with my SURGE, although I know that if I had shipped it to Leatherman they would have fixed it I opted to fix the problem myself. Bought two security torxs and thighed the trox, have no problem with my SURGE now.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:43:12 AM
As has been said, it isn't right and I've no doubt that Leatherman would sort it out for you without any questions. However, you can pick up the security torx bits to do it yourself if that's easier. I can vouch for these (clicky). I'd also recommend getting hold of some loctite, and sealing the thread to prevent it working loose again (that's what they do in the factory and is probably what has failed you).

Then, you're equipped if it happens again.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Cleric

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:36:58 PM
Thanks folks!   :tu:  I'll pick up some tools (maybe from that link!) soon.  You are a wealth of good info.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%