Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

In rotation/Out of rotation

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
In rotation/Out of rotation
on: September 10, 2006, 01:56:14 PM
I have a number of multis (although as I have recently found out, very few by comparison to some!) but there are some that I will carry and some I don't for various reasons.
Tools like the Wave, SwissTool, Spirit and Juices see alot of travel time, while the older multis just don't seem to get out much.  My Schrade Tuff Tool almost never gets out of the drawer for a few reasons, like I don't care for the lock mechanism, I don't like the feel of the pliers and it's awkwards size.  The PST and PST II stay home because those sheet metal handles HURT when you use them, non locking tools (and on the PST II, the blade that bit me!) and the limited tool options.  The SOG Switch Plier sees very limited carry time, and even then, usually only when I want something to play with- if you don't believe me that this tool is addictive, get yourself one and fire it open a few times!  The SOG ParaTool I didn't care for much- neat idea, but is kind of a pain in the bum to get the tools out.  The Micra has almost as many miles on it as my work truck, and the Solstice and Clutch are pretty handy too.
All in all, there is probably about a third of my collection that gets carried or used in any way.  What tools do you carry, and which ones do you avoid?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: In rotation/Out of rotation
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:47:57 PM
I usually carry a Micra (or a Schrade Tough Chip occasionally) as a scissors plus one of these larger multitools:

SOG S60 Powerlock
  Leatherman Supertool (original)
  Leatherman tool (original, before it was called PST)

I keep a Leatherman Crunch in my pack.

I also carry a locking knife, e.g., Victorinox One Hand Trekker or Spyderco Native.

A Leatherman Juice CS4 stays in the livingroom.  At $12, it was a good deal when Target stores cleared them out.  I carried it a couple of times, but the pliers are so small that I still felt "unequipped" unless I carried a larger pliers tool.  The CS4 is heavier than the original Leatherman tool but lacks a file and has weaker pliers.  My wife has been using the CS4 when making jewelry.

I have, but don't carry a Sears Craftsman version of the Schrade ST5.  It's too large, heavy, and I don't care for the modular screwdriver bits as much as dedicated blades (as found in the original LM tools).

Sold off 2 multitools: Schrade Tough Tool and the original palm-pinching Gerber multitool.

I used to be a knife collector and have about 100 USA-made pocket knives and a few SAKs. I don't want to become a multitool collector of shelf queens.   :D

There may be a Victorinox Swisstool or Spirit in my future.  I am not attracted to the Leatherman's current offerings.  I prefer the older model Leatherman tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:13:49 AM
I tend carry either the swisstool spirit or the LM charge.  I don't really need a full size tool at work so I keep my swisstool and other bigger multitools at home and in my shop.  I use the LM core and swisstool around the house more than the LM ST200 and SOG powerlock.  They are just easier to use. I never really got used to the ST200 locks.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 12:37:03 PM
(I agree with prime77's comment about the ST200 blade locks. Same goes for the LM Pulse. Strange little devices, those lock release levers.)

My carry rotation cycles between an old style Wave, a Spirit, and a Charge Ti. All have their pluses and minuses.

I've considered, but not yet done the dorky deed, of wearing TWO multi tools on my belt at the same time.   :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 10:12:14 PM
Come on Bob, you don't need to wear two on your belt.  You have one on your belt, and one in your Maxpedition Man Purse! :P
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:15:59 PM
I can see it now, someone is going to make a 6 pocket belt sheath that will hold 6 different multis from different manufacturers. Hmmm, let's see, where did I put my leatherworking tools? ::)
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 03:43:26 AM
Come on Bob, you don't need to wear two on your belt.  You have one on your belt, and one in your Maxpedition Man Purse! :P
Def

Nope, that won't work. Mine is already fuller than this guy's: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=193111
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:32:52 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 05:25:12 AM
I carry my LM Wave on my belt and my Micra on my keychain.  I have a Swiss Tool, bt it sees no action.  It's in my knife bag in the closet.  Don't get me wrong, I will never part with it, as it is a good back up tool for my EDC Wave, but it rarely sees the light of day.  I have a LM Squirt P4, but that is in the bag with the Swisstool, ever since I got me another Micra.I also have a bunch of SAKs (One handed trekker, tinker, sportsman, etc.) in the bag, but again, they tend to stay in the bag.  Around the house, there is rarely a time where I am not sitting, standing, or laying out of arms reach of some type of pocketknife, but on my person, the Wave and Micra take care of everything.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 03:15:48 AM
That is some serious pile of stuff!  In my younger days I used to carry everything, and I mean everything.  My biggest problem was finding space on my duty belt for more equipment.  That was back in the old 32" waist days.  The only part of my Uncle Mike's rig that was visible was the buckle!  And, I had some of my equipment doubled up- I had a Cold Steel Para-Edge under my glove pouch so that only the handle was visible, allowing me to have a knife handy but not obvious.
Then the uniforms changed to include cargo pants.  Well, that just allowed me to add even more stuff.
Finally I decided that 90% of the stuff was never used and was just weighing me down something awful, so I started to get rid of some of it.  I started to only carry the essentials and a few multipurpose items- batons, flashlights, multitools, SAKs etc. 
And you know what?  Over ten years later, I still have never missed most of that other stuff.
Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 05:51:51 AM
I always have a Vic Manager, and a Vic Spirit. Rotate in and out with a Vic Soldier, LM Charge XTi, Vic Outrider, Custom OH SAK and a variety of others as the mood strikes me. Lighting is always my Vic Microlight and frequently a Surefire A2 Aviator or E2.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 05:54:24 AM by felinevet »
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44