Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK modding - is my ideal knife possible?

Offline landwomble

SAK modding - is my ideal knife possible?
on: March 02, 2009, 09:24:52 PM
I've been mulling over the ideal SAK, and I think I've come up with a loose description of what I want.
I've been EDCing a Cybertool 34 for a few weeks, and it's not far off.  It's a bit thinner than my venerable old Swiss Champ which makes the difference between EDC and occasional carry.

Essential:
OHA blade, like on the OHT or similar.  Preferably non-serrated but not too fussy
Cybertool's bit driver and bit holder
Flat screwdriver/bottle opener/pry bar
Pen/pin/tweezers/biro

Nice to have:
Pliers and/or
File and/or
Corkscrew

Really wacky idea:
Leatherman bit set driver

I don't mind if this goes in a 91mm body, or a bigger one.  Anyone successfully mixed the bit driver and the big OHA blade?
Any modders looking for a commission, or is this something I could maybe do myself?!

Cheers!
Ric

Offline scibeer

Re: SAK modding - is my ideal knife possible?
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:15:02 PM
That's gonna be a tough one.    I haven't had much luck mixing parts from 111mm knives and 91mm knives.    The backsprings aren't compatable and the tang widths are different.    It would be a lot of tinkering to get it to work.   The double spring setup on the cybertool will make it even more fun.   Maybe try to get the cybertool to work with one of the 111mm springs and keep the larger format.   Going smaller with the OH blade will be a challenge.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:48 AM
Yikes, that's a heck of an ask.  As Scibeer says (and he really knows what he's talking about)  the tricky/impossible part is the blade.  From what you listed you could have:

Plain blade and small blade (as you have now) with corkscrew on the back.
Cybertool driver
Pliers
File
Bottle opener and can opener layer.

Adding the plus scales (pen & pin etc) is easy to do.

Or if you wanted to go slimmer you could: get rid of the bottle opener, can opener, and small blade, and put a combo tool in place of the small blade.  The combo isn't such a good pry bar as it is thinner than the bottle opener.

As Scibeer say you may be able to work something out with the OHO blade but it would take some effort.  Good luck and I hope this helps.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:15:39 AM
I can't add anything except another....Yikes! :D

Offline landwomble

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:37:41 AM
That's gonna be a tough one.    I haven't had much luck mixing parts from 111mm knives and 91mm knives.    The backsprings aren't compatable and the tang widths are different.    It would be a lot of tinkering to get it to work.   The double spring setup on the cybertool will make it even more fun.   Maybe try to get the cybertool to work with one of the 111mm springs and keep the larger format.   Going smaller with the OH blade will be a challenge.

If you haven't had much luck I don't think I will...!
Keeping the larger format would be fine though.  Don't suppose you fancy a challenge....?!

This has all come about as I was weighing up a Leatherman Wave in one hand, and my Cybertool 34 in the other.  I was thinking about what my perfect compromise would be and the only feature of the Wave I really wanted was OHO on the knife blade, whilst retaining the multiple bit drivers.

Offline landwomble

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:34 AM
Or if you wanted to go slimmer you could: get rid of the bottle opener, can opener, and small blade, and put a combo tool in place of the small blade.  The combo isn't such a good pry bar as it is thinner than the bottle opener.

Thanks, Gareth.  Just out of interest, what's the combo tool?  Not seen that before I don't think?

<edit> - just seen it.  84mm combined slim bottle opener/flat driver/can opener - the curvy one?.

P.S. If I can't get a cybertool driver in there, then are there any small x-head screwdriver tools available?  I guess my main needs from the bit driver are large x-head (replace corkscrew with one), small x-head (not sure - any suggestions?), large flat head (already there) and small flathead (the one that screws into the corkscrew won't really cut it - anything else available like the electrician driver?)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:56:32 AM by landwomble »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:20:25 AM
I can't add anything except another....Yikes! :D

:P  :D

Yikes is a great word that is much underused.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:41:28 AM by Gareth UK »

Offline landwomble

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:21:22 AM
[P.S. If I can't get a cybertool driver in there, then are there any small x-head screwdriver tools available?  I guess my main needs from the bit driver are large x-head (replace corkscrew with one), small x-head (not sure - any suggestions?), large flat head (already there) and small flathead (the one that screws into the corkscrew won't really cut it - anything else available like the electrician driver?)

Apologies for replying to myself, but I've just seen the long, small x-head driver from some 111mm models - see here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,8190.0.html

Perhaps an OHT modification to add this might be the perfect solution?

Could I fit the following in an OHT?
* OHO blade
* long, smaller x-head driver
* either standard bottle opener/large flathead or combo tool
* large philips in place of corkscrew
* small flat head driver in place of awl
* maybe lose the saw and replace with a file, or just lose the saw to make room for the long x-head?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:13 AM

Thanks, Gareth.  Just out of interest, what's the combo tool?  Not seen that before I don't think?

<edit> - just seen it.  84mm combined slim bottle opener/flat driver/can opener - the curvy one?.

P.S. If I can't get a cybertool driver in there, then are there any small x-head screwdriver tools available?  I guess my main needs from the bit driver are large x-head (replace corkscrew with one), small x-head (not sure - any suggestions?), large flat head (already there) and small flathead (the one that screws into the corkscrew won't really cut it - anything else available like the electrician driver?)

You have mentioned the back mounted Phillips but you do have other options.  You can see the combo tool and in-line Phillips here:

You get two other Phillips I can think of.  One is on the bottle opener on the 58mm sized SAKs, the other is on the 111mm paired up with the scissors.  For example:

The 58mm Rambler: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Rambler

The 111mm Outrider: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Outrider

You can read about all the options on the SAKwiki site. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Screwdriver-Phillips-Inline

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:33:04 AM by Gareth UK »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:39:59 AM
I think you could start with a Hercules http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Hercules and swap the blade for a OHO and the saw for a metal file, would that bring you close to what you want?  This may be where I have to bow out as I haven't modified a 111mm knife before and I don't want to give bad advice.

Offline landwomble

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:36 PM
I think you could start with a Hercules http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Hercules and swap the blade for a OHO and the saw for a metal file, would that bring you close to what you want?  This may be where I have to bow out as I haven't modified a 111mm knife before and I don't want to give bad advice.

Ooooh, great stuff.  The Hercules and the Outrider look like great candidates.  The Herc would be pretty much bang-on, although I guess it's quite thick?
I could lose the scissors without any problem, and *maybe* the pliers - are the pliers exactly the same as on the 91mm models like the Swiss Champ?  If they're as anemic as those then I could manage without, if they're significantly better maybe keep them.  Presumably I could fit the OHO blade on both Herc and Outrider?

Other option might be the Outrider with the corkscrew swapped for a phillips driver and the saw swapped for a file.

Is it possible to lose a layer on an Outrider by, say, dropping the scissors and/or saw, bottle opener and can opener and just putting the long small Phillips opposite a combo tool - so I was left with OH knife, combo tool, long phillips, large philips where corkscrew is? This would still leave me a small flathead short, but guess one could go in place of the awl?

Couple of Qs: are the corkscrews the same on 91 and 111mm SAKs?
Can you thin a 111mm knife by simply removing layers or is there an internal frame of fixed size?
Can you fit a biro into the scales of a 111mm knife?
Can the OHO blades definitely fit the slide lock models?  The SOSAK page suggests they've different blade widths...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:06:48 PM by landwomble »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 03:23:35 PM
Unfortunately I can't say about the blade thickness as I haven't done it myself.  As to the rest;

The pliers won't be much different if at all, but they are (I think) paired with the short Phillips.
Similar story wit the scissors, they share a backspring with the thin Phillips and so have to go together.
You could easily drop the saw or swap it for a file.
You can take any layers out you want, but as I say you might be loosing more than one tool to do so. (scissors & Phillips for example).
The corkscrews are basically the same but will have different pivot holes.  It will take a mini driver though.
Unfortunately the Combo tool doesn't fit opposite the main blade on the 111mm and so that layer saving idea doesn't work.  You would normally see it opposite a gutting blade in a layer to themselves.
I don't think you get a pen in a 111mm scale.

Your idea of starting with the Outrider and swapping the corkscrew for a Phillips and the saw for a file sounds fine.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 03:29:25 PM
The problem with mixing parts between side-lock and liner-lock 111mms is that they use different size pivots. Not insurmountable, but it will be somewhat of a bodge.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 03:32:33 PM
Ah, see that I didn't know.  :-\

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 03:35:30 PM
Now you do... :D

Offline scibeer

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 01:19:06 AM
Yup,

All those slide lock tools need to be drilled out to a bit over 3mm.    I've made a lot of outriders into One hand outriders or removed layers without a problem.   Getting that dang combo tool to work with anything other than the factory configurations is tricky.   With a spacer, it might work with the long small phillips somehow but I'm sure something will be messed up with it.    It's a troublesome tool.

Offline landwomble

Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 11:06:50 AM
Hmm.  Looks like the sliding lock tools might be best avoided?  How about if I started with a Parachutist or Trekker and wanted to add the long phillips driver?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%