Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave blade closing problem

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Wave blade closing problem
on: March 03, 2009, 02:49:12 AM
Some of you might remember that I had a problem with a bent metal file on my New Wave a while back. Well, I decided to send my Wave in to have it repaired on warranty. I also asked them to fix a small problem with the liner lock not engaging properly on the PE blade.

I just received my Wave back. They fixed both those problems, but the PE blade now bangs against the inside portion of the handle when closing it. It makes contact about 1/2" from the tip and then scrapes closed.

I can still open and close the blade with OH, but the cutting edge is making contact and will get damaged in time.

Does anyone know a quick fix for this, or do I have to go through another waiting period with warranty?
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Wave blade closing problem
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:59:12 AM
I noticed this on two Charge TTi's I've had.. You could file down the knife tip a little bit; then it won't come in contact anymore. At least that's what I did.
B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:35:31 AM
I noticed this on two Charge TTi's I've had.. You could file down the knife tip a little bit; then it won't come in contact anymore. At least that's what I did.

Thanks but unfortunately, it starts scraping too far back from the tip to do that. I'd have to file off about 1/2".  :)
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:30 AM
I'd contact the warranty folks about it.  Don't mention this forum though as they don't seem to like me very much...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline rockyman500

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 04:51:30 AM
why dont they like you?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:53:43 AM
Loooong story.  It has to do with the Canadian repair contractors, not LM themselves.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:57:30 AM
Loooong story.  It has to do with the Canadian repair contractors, not LM themselves.

Def

:pok: I've got time for a long story ::) ;) :D

I would do like Def said and see what they say would be bad to have to send it in again :( and pay postage twice :ahhh :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 05:06:30 AM
you may not have been here for it, but if you do a search for XE6, you'll probably find a thread with a good portion of the story...

Def

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 05:10:35 AM
Yeah, I am not too thrilled with the Canadian repair contractors myself at the moment either...   :P

Spending another $10 postage so that they can fix their own mistake doesn't seem right.

I wanted to pick up some 5-point security bits anyway, so I'd rather put the money towards that. Can anyone point me to a cheap set online?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 05:18:58 AM
Yeah, I am not too thrilled with the Canadian repair contractors myself at the moment either...   :P

Spending another $10 postage so that they can fix their own mistake doesn't seem right.

I wanted to pick up some 5-point security bits anyway, so I'd rather put the money towards that. Can anyone point me to a cheap set online?

Multitool.org member eleatherman has them available here: http://www.eleatherman.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=84

(remember, you need two)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 05:41:59 PM
Some of you might remember that I had a problem with a bent metal file on my New Wave a while back. Well, I decided to send my Wave in to have it repaired on warranty. I also asked them to fix a small problem with the liner lock not engaging properly on the PE blade.

I just received my Wave back. They fixed both those problems, but the PE blade now bangs against the inside portion of the handle when closing it. It makes contact about 1/2" from the tip and then scrapes closed.

I can still open and close the blade with OH, but the cutting edge is making contact and will get damaged in time.

Does anyone know a quick fix for this, or do I have to go through another waiting period with warranty?

Sounds to me as maintenance being lazy.

I think they've just loosened the pivot screw a bit so the linerlock works, but then you get another problem and that is a scraping blade.

To check if i'm right; open the blade, prevent the linerlock from locking it with your thumb as if you were going to close the blade, and now wiggle the blade carefully from side to side with your fingers.
There should be no bladeplay, but there probably is.

What they should have done is exchange the blade for another one with a good fit, as there are minute differences in the bladeramps where the liner engages the blade.

But hey, what do i know ?  :D

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:23:52 PM

I think they've just loosened the pivot screw a bit so the linerlock works, but then you get another problem and that is a scraping blade.

To check if i'm right; open the blade, prevent the linerlock from locking it with your thumb as if you were going to close the blade, and now wiggle the blade carefully from side to side with your fingers.
There should be no bladeplay, but there probably is.

What they should have done is exchange the blade for another one with a good fit, as there are minute differences in the bladeramps where the liner engages the blade.

But hey, what do i know ?  :D

Thank you fo your expert opinion, Kwakster. As usual, you are absolutely correct.  :cheers:

It is definitely the same blade and there is side-to-side play. Actually, there is even more side-to-side play with the serrated blade and I discovered that my wood saw now hits the outer edge of the handle when closing as well.

I've got to admit that I am not very impressed with the Canadian warranty people at this point. How could they not notice that the PE blade they were asked to fix could not be closed properly?

You mentioned a trick a while ago back where you could fix the liner lock by filing the back of the blade a bit. I guess I'll just try that myself and get some 5-point bits to tighten things up again.

Thanks again.  :cheers:

[

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:50:55 PM
Max, whatever you do, don't go filing on the back of the blade ( or the bladeramp as it is officially called)
To achieve a good fit with your current blade file a truly minute amount from the top of the liner itself.
A few strokes with a Spyderco Sharpmaker medium stick, or a thin piece of wood with some 400 grit SiC paper will probably do the trick.

In the ideal situation the liner will seat itself completely on the bladeramp - but not further - thus allowing for room for wear.
This is what i aim for when doing blade changes and/or mods, but it doesn't always work out that way as sometimes they happen to travel a bit further.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:43 PM
Max, whatever you do, don't go filing on the back of the blade ( or the bladeramp as it is officially called)
To achieve a good fit with your current blade file a truly minute amount from the top of the liner itself.
A few strokes with a Spyderco Sharpmaker medium stick, or a thin piece of wood with some 400 grit SiC paper will probably do the trick.

In the ideal situation the liner will seat itself completely on the bladeramp - but not further - thus allowing for room for wear.
This is what i aim for when doing blade changes and/or mods, but it doesn't always work out that way as sometimes they happen to travel a bit further.

Yikes! Thanks for clearing that up.  :o :D :D
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:49:28 AM

I'm glad you said that Kwakster, because that's what I was thinking. I think I would send it back with a really smurfty letter along the lines of "I know what you did, it's disgraceful, now do it properly please".

When you bought that tool Max - you paid for the warranty and service. I would demand it.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 02:06:19 AM
That happened to me with LM's warranty. I sent a SURGE in with a broken lock release, and they sent it back not fixed. They wanted me to send it back, and I MADE them send me a prepaid envelope! LOL
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 02:20:12 AM
I think that's fair enough to be honest if they did a shoddy job. Leatherman strike me as the kind of company that would make it up to you if they screwed up anyway, although I guess the Canadian service centre don't share that ethos.
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD