Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ticking off my coworkers

Pacu · 49 · 3559

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ticking off my coworkers
on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:22 PM
So for the past year or so i've been edc a multitool to work to limit having to run to the toolbox. My coworkers picked up on this rather fast and ask to borrow it all the time. Most of them have respect for other peoples tools and i can expect it to come back in one piece. Just as an experiment i stopped bringing it to work and each time someone would ask me for it i would say something to the effect of "Yea you know you can pick one up at Target, Walmart, Ebay". 
  They still have not gone to get their own. :think:

Usually if i have to borrow the same tool twice i'll go get myself one....price pending of course.

Should i be the multitool guy at work and just suck it up or be a little a** and tell them to get their own?

:like:    :MTO:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Ticking off my coworkers
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:07:00 PM
My general rule is:

I don't let others borrow my motorcycle, my car, my power tools or my MT's.  OTOH, I'll lend a friend what he needs, but it has to be a good friend, and someone who understands the value of what they borrow.

Tell 'em to get their own--they're not THAT expensive, fergawdsake!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:23:22 PM
I find it ironic that someone who will spend $20 for a DVD they will watch a few times or $5 for a latte but $45-75 for a multitool that will come in handy daily and last for decades is too expensive.
(

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:33:00 PM
The guys at work say all the time they need too get one, and every time I say that I will help them pick one. Well, no one have bought one yeat and as I say every time someone borrow a thing from me. You brake it you give me cash so I can buy me a new one, and the prices on multitools in Norway are WAY more higher than in the US of A.

I say that you should be an a** and say that they should suport an American company and buy theire own.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:34:26 PM
The guys at work say all the time they need too get one, and every time I say that I will help them pick one. Well, no one have bought one yeat and as I say every time someone borrow a thing from me. You brake it you give me cash so I can buy me a new one, and the prices on multitools in Norway are WAY more higher than in the US of A.

I say that you should be an a** and say that they should suport an American company and buy theire own.

im with Medic82
A

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:57:44 PM

Or Swiss company? :pok: :pok:
:like:    :MTO:

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 06:07:53 PM
Or a British company.
(

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 06:38:09 PM
Or a British company.

Nice thought but I'm not aware of any British multi makers.   This is the part where Bob shames me and pulls out half a dozen  ;)

In answer to the original post: make them buy their own.   :pok: It'll only end in tears if you don't. 

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:49 PM
The BAK knives and variations.
(

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:04:01 PM
So for the past year or so i've been edc a multitool to work to limit having to run to the toolbox. My coworkers picked up on this rather fast and ask to borrow it all the time. Most of them have respect for other peoples tools and i can expect it to come back in one piece. Just as an experiment i stopped bringing it to work and each time someone would ask me for it i would say something to the effect of "Yea you know you can pick one up at Target, Walmart, Ebay". 
  They still have not gone to get their own. :think:

Usually if i have to borrow the same tool twice i'll go get myself one....price pending of course.

Should i be the multitool guy at work and just suck it up or be a little a** and tell them to get their own?

I don't think you're being an a-hole by not letting them use your multi-tool. I think THEY are being a-holes by continually wanting to borrow yours. Once or twice and that's it, they need to go buy their own. Let's face it, now they are placing additional wear and tear on a tool YOU bought, so YOU could be more efficient at work. And when the time comes, YOU will have to send it in to be fixed or buy a new one. Make them get their own.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:31 PM
What if you rent it to them.
(

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:58:38 PM
What if you rent it to them.

Hit 'em in the wallet  :)
Gabba gabba hey!!

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:20 PM
I was once asked by a co-worker if he could borrow my Supertool 200..

He "needed a knife" he said. I handed it over, no problem.

He gave it back to me a little while later and the blade was just flat dull, and even the sides of the blade were scratched up. I asked him what the hell he did to my knife, and while I forget now specifically what it was he used it on, it turns out he used it as a scraper on something.

Never again. If you need something that requires my tools, then show me what it is first, and I may do it for you. Or you may be on your own with no tools of mine.

G.
G

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:05:59 PM
I was once asked by a co-worker if he could borrow my Supertool 200..

He "needed a knife" he said. I handed it over, no problem.

He gave it back to me a little while later and the blade was just flat dull, and even the sides of the blade were scratched up. I asked him what the hell he did to my knife, and while I forget now specifically what it was he used it on, it turns out he used it as a scraper on something.

Never again. If you need something that requires my tools, then show me what it is first, and I may do it for you. Or you may be on your own with no tools of mine.

G.

thats what i always ask: "what are you planning to do?" people usually doesnt know how to use a tool properly
A

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 08:12:17 PM
Caught the same way too often.  I just started asking what they wanted it for.  As I was the Maintenance Manager all to often it was something that I wouldn't have trusted my half-witted co-workers to do anyway, and so just did it for them.

I have had real problems over the years with "have a go" types just making thinks worse.  ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 08:19:31 PM

im with Medic82

So am I.
Prone to daydreaming.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:17 PM
No one at work borrows mine. I usually tell them to go get the tool they need. I do mention if they get me the cash I would be more than happy to pick one up for them. Never has happened though

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 08:59:05 PM

Good point, I tend to just see them as knives but I guess they count as multis  :tu:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 09:08:43 PM

Good point, I tend to just see them as knives but I guess they count as multis  :tu:

Neil

I wonder if there was a surge in sales of them if they would come out with more versions.
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 11:37:15 PM
I don't like lending tools at all no matter what it is (unless I can trust the person who is borrowing and I have done that on occasion :D ) but usually I don't lend my MT at all unless I am standing right there ::) then it's hard for me 2 do :ahhh

It's bad when you have to supply other ppl with things at work :( when the guys say "can I borrow your tape or a knife" I say "they sell them everyday at Wal-mart and Home Depot don't they" :think: :D

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 12:13:44 AM
As far as myself I will loan people my MT or SAK as long as they have returned them in good time and health.

There has been a time or two that I loaned someone a SAK then found out later it wasn't used the way it was designed. 

There is an old adage that says " A knife blade is the most expensive and least effective pry bar you will ever own."
Mind you, I never had anyone do that (not that I know of).

I guess if I had the same people week in and week out asking to borrow it, I would think different. Maybe even try to coax them into geting their own.

Heck I have actually in the past gone out and gotten MT's and SAKs for people. Some thank me and pay me back, others say no thanks and I would either keep it or go get a refund.  :D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:53 AM
I'm very leary of lending out tools , mostly unhappy stories ! I have gifted good tools to underfunded but deserving individuals lots of times .

Chris

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 02:51:20 AM
This is what a friend told me once "only let someone borrow the things that you are only willing to let go." After that I borrowed his car >:D >:D >:D :D :D :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 02:58:17 AM
I know this is kind of off topic but I once lent a like new hammer to my cousin and within 5 minutes of using it it was all scratched up, dirty and , the handle was all dinged up.  :(
(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 02:59:16 AM
I don't think I've ever owned or used a new hammer. :think:
[

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 03:01:30 AM
I had 3 of them now I have 2. One is a made in USA Stanley with a fiberglass handle. I'm assuming its rare since I've never seen a USA made fiberglass handle before.
(

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 04:34:44 AM
You can't believe how many hammers there are around the farm.  Mostly Estwing claw hammers of various weights, a hand sledge or 2, one rock hammer, 3 different sized ball pein hammers, bodywork hammers, full sized sledges, slide hammer, hammer drill, air hammer, driving maul and a few Sears Craftsman hammers.

No MC Hammer however.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 04:50:57 AM

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:43 AM
I don't think I've ever owned or used a new hammer. :think:

Same here.  Every one I've had has either been handed to me by a relative (got 2 from my grandad) or has just been in the house with no record of where it appeared from.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline flapjackboy

Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:07 AM
No MC Hammer however.

Just as well, you wouldn't be able to touch it anyway.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD