Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixed and Replaced

Sean · 14 · 1437

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Fixed and Replaced
on: March 04, 2009, 05:50:28 PM
Awhile ago I posted a picture of my Leatherman Kick that I had cut some hard steel wire with and it left a couple of nice notch's in the plier head cutter.  I sent them off with my Juice S2 to Leatherman Canada's warrranty department which had a couple of issues and two weeks later they arrived back from the depot and installed is a new plier head on the Kick and a totally new Juice s2.
Thanks again Leatherman.  This is the third set of pliers I've sent in that have been either repaired or replaced no questions asked.  :)
Leatherman's 001.JPG
* Leatherman's 001.JPG (Filesize: 78.82 KB)

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: Fixed and Replaced
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:52:29 PM
I wonder if they would fix my Radioshack leatherman the first time I used the wire cutters it put a notch in them.
(

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:54:30 PM
I wonder if they would fix my Radioshack leatherman the first time I used the wire cutters it put a notch in them.

I'm sure they would.  ;)

sean

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:04:44 PM
That's nice. The way things work around here with warranty claims, people don't even think of that possibility. I had a friend who broke the jaws on his BO Wave while trying to cut some really hard wire and just tossed it away for a brand new BO ALX. When I asked why he hadn't turned it in for repair he gave me a "doh!" look and said he didn't know he could do that... I went the other way with my first Ti (broke the tip of the blade and sent it in to the local rep) but it didn't turn out well for me either...  :-\

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:48:55 PM
That's nice. The way things work around here with warranty claims, people don't even think of that possibility. I had a friend who broke the jaws on his BO Wave while trying to cut some really hard wire and just tossed it away for a brand new BO ALX. When I asked why he hadn't turned it in for repair he gave me a "doh!" look and said he didn't know he could do that... I went the other way with my first Ti (broke the tip of the blade and sent it in to the local rep) but it didn't turn out well for me either...  :-\

thats too bad.  :(  I would imagine that they didn't want to replace the blade?  Anyhow up here in Canada we have a Leatherman warranty depot back east.  So I just ship via Canada Post for less than 5 dollars the pliers to them and within 3 weeks I have them back fixed.  I would imagine that the States would be very similar in service.

sean

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:00:14 PM

I wonder how many LM's there are in landfills that have been thrown away as the owner didn't know about the warranty.  :-\
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:44:12 PM
I'm in whining mood tonight, so here I go. I sent that Ti in with just the blade tip broken. The rest of the tool had seen little to no use and was in as-new condition. I even included brand-new double-ended bits, taken from a bit kit I had purchased at that time, to show the rep guys I was taking good care of my tool (other than then blade tip, of course... ::)). Well, [http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq13/_noth_/Repaired%20Ti/]this[/url] is what I got back. The main blade seemed to have been crudely sharpened by hand and exhibited minor defects and missing chips. The serrated blade and saw were too hard to open, since the screws seemed to be too tight on that handle. On the other hand, the other handle didn't stay in place and slipped open when held upside-down. There were also
scratches and dirt at various spots on the handles, blades, and tools. The bits I got back also exhibited use marks. This looked more like a used tool than a replacement one and it definitely was not the tool I had sent in for repair! I sent 3 or 4 emails to LM.com to inform them of this situation, but got no reply back. I had already paid 20e at that time just to get the tool to the rep center and back, and I eventually paid another 20e to send it back in. The second time I arranged to be on a business trip to the city were the LM repair center was located and went and picked it up myself, just to be sure... Arrrrgh...  >:(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:19 PM
I already related my own experience with the Canadian warranty people. They replaced my file, but now the plain edge blade will not shut properly.

I would be very careful about using regular Canada Post. Def was almost out of a tool because of that. I always ship with tracking and insurance now.

It seems that regardless of the country, LM will often sometimes replace a tool with a used one, rather than fixing it. Even if the original tool was brand new. That doesn't seem right to me. ???

LM's warranty people are usually excellent though, as many here have been completely satisfied with their service. I guess there are just a few of us who are unlucky... 
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 11:44:25 PM
Glad they fixed your problem Sean :tu:

but it's bad to here how some of the rest of you guys have been treated >:( Cause some lazy punk didn't probably want to be there that day and he thought he would mess with somebody else's life :( hope you guys have a great experience if you have to ever go through anything again ;) :D

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:55:46 AM
I already related my own experience with the Canadian warranty people. They replaced my file, but now the plain edge blade will not shut properly.

I would be very careful about using regular Canada Post. Def was almost out of a tool because of that. I always ship with tracking and insurance now.

It seems that regardless of the country, LM will often sometimes replace a tool with a used one, rather than fixing it. Even if the original tool was brand new. That doesn't seem right to me. ???

LM's warranty people are usually excellent though, as many here have been completely satisfied with their service. I guess there are just a few of us who are unlucky... 

well i will ship insured on some items, those that i have a receipt with the value of item purchased.  If you don't have  a receipt then they will not honour the replacement cost if they lose it.  They will only reimburse your shipping cost.  The only thing canada post insures is against loss not damage.  So if it's an old tool and you don't have the sales receipt and you want to ship insured then you might want to go with ups or puralator but then the cost goes up so much so it might not be worth it.

sean
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:57:37 AM by Sean »

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 08:20:49 PM
I sent my BO XTi and Original SuperTool in; and they got them on the 26 of Feb. They weren't entered in the system until yesterday, and they're going out today! LM123 is happy!!  :D

The BO XTi's little pins that keep the plier head from jamming every time you close it were broken, the 154CM PE blade's tip rubbed up against the end of the blade channel, and the plier head had a ton of pivot play; I thought it was a SwissTool for a moment!  :D The Original SuperTool had a broken small screwdriver and one of the handles just flopped open and closed, there was no resistance in the handle at all.. I'll let you guys know how they turn out!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:26:13 PM
I sent my BO XTi and Original SuperTool in; and they got them on the 26 of Feb. They weren't entered in the system until yesterday, and they're going out today! LM123 is happy!!  :D

The BO XTi's little pins that keep the plier head from jamming every time you close it were broken, the 154CM PE blade's tip rubbed up against the end of the blade channel, and the plier head had a ton of pivot play; I thought it was a SwissTool for a moment!  :D The Original SuperTool had a broken small screwdriver and one of the handles just flopped open and closed, there was no resistance in the handle at all.. I'll let you guys know how they turn out!

Hopefully you don't end up with a Core as replacement ::) not that I dislike the Core just that I like the SuperTool better :D So let us know :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:44:38 PM
Good point that Poncho. Sooner or later they are going to run out of PST, Supertool and other old parts to do repairs. I cant imagine they'll manufacture any more once they're gone.

This is all part of my cunning plan you see, as the value of my retired tools will sky rocket. And then the world. Mwahahahahaaaaa.  >:D
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 01:33:24 AM
I specifically said I don't want a BO ALX and Core as replacements..  8)
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD