Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

personal (small) first aid kit

Offline ecfiffer

personal (small) first aid kit
on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:09 AM
ok so i might be going over board on the edc trip i'm on, but there have been a good number of times when i found my self in need of a band-aid or asprin, you know those basic things that would be nice to have with you all the time for when things get bad...  what all do you recommend?  i was looking at adventure medical and what they have to offer, but i have not found anyone else that makes a kit that is small and has a good number of different things in it. so guys chim in, i think this will be the last thing i add to my edc kit
'

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Re: personal (small) first aid kit
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 04:03:33 AM
I'd say you've already nailed it. I carry the AMK Pocket Medic, and like it a lot. I have added and subtracted from it over the years, but it is a solid kit for EDC, and it is very small.
G

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:21:58 AM
There's a cool white plastic box that you can buy that contains Band-Aids in a few different sizes...and from that (appx.)3" x 3" x 1" box you can build a (small) FAK. 

In mine I have some Band-Aids, some sterile/sealed gauze, alcohol pad, a tube of Neosporin, baggie with some Excedrin, and a small container of floss.  It clicks together solidly, but can easily be opened/closed one handed.  I found that out when I sliced my thumb a while back!

Any injury those supplies can't handle, I can't handle.  Some folks carry suchers, anti clotting agents, gloves (I might get a pair or two of those though..), forceps, scalpels...but that's overkill for me.
[

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:51:11 PM
ok so i was surfing ebay and came across this guy and what he has, some are way over kill of any one to carry edc unless its your job, other kits like the $30 kits are more edcablehttp://stores.shop.ebay.com/SPECIALIZED-EQUIPMENT__W0QQ_armrsZ1

its either one of these kits or a amk one.  the price is close to the same so we will see what is the best for me. 

'

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 04:55:08 PM
Hmmm...

Personally, I'd take their list, go to the local Sams Club/WallyWorld or pharmacy and purchase similar bandages, tape and ointments, add in some ibuprofen in a small container, add some benadryl and imodium AD, possibly a few tabs of Cipro (antibiotic) if you have some on hand, and put in a Classic SAK, (or larger SAK with scissors, knife and tweezers)

PLUS some duct tape on a small roll.

It would be a better kit for equal or less money and you'd know exactly what to buy to replenish.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:20:44 PM
Personally I put together my own kit.  You should never need to carry 20 band aides so why bother.  Mine is a little more than strictly necessary but it goes something like this; band aids, medium sterile dressing, medical tape, antiseptic cream, triangular bandage, ibuprofen and vinyl gloves.  If you need more than that then you are just holding fort until the emergency services arrive.  If that's the case then you would be using whatever comes to hand as dressings/bandages anyway.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:13 PM
Personally I put together my own kit.  You should never need to carry 20 band aides so why bother.  Mine is a little more than strictly necessary but it goes something like this; band aids, medium sterile dressing, medical tape, antiseptic cream, triangular bandage, ibuprofen and vinyl gloves.  If you need more than that then you are just holding fort until the emergency services arrive.  If that's the case then you would be using whatever comes to hand as dressings/bandages anyway.

Agree with this.

I would add, if you're traveling, add ibuprofen, immodium (for traveler's diarrhea), and benadryl (for allergic reactions, bee stings, etc)

Also, Duct Tape is great.  I have stopped using moleskin completely and only use Duct Tape to prevent blisters.  Works great and much cheaper.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:08:00 PM
I'd go for making your own as well.  I have just done one using an otterbox 1000 and it has everything I'd want and didn't cost much either.
I'm back!!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:34:15 PM
Pro Med Kits is the one I carry. Its nice and small and has lots of goodys inside.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:49:58 PM
thanks for the input, i ended up picking up a pocket medic http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=89&catname=Medic&prodname=Pocket%20Medic from a local outdoor place for 7 bucks.  its a great size to edc and i will add some other things to it to make it a little more robust. i plan on getting/ building my own survival/sol car kit.  where do you guys pick up your otterboxes?  online?

any ways thanks for the input
'

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:23:55 PM
Just as an aside... I keep meds in an old matchsafe instead of in the FAK. I prefer to not dig for them, and I am more likely in the every day world to need an antacid or Benadryl as opposed to a guaze pad or antiseptic wipe. You results may vary of course..

So into the old brass and nickel Marble's matchsafe goes a few ibuprofen, some loperamide, some diphenhydramine, and then that gets topped off with my famatodine. If I had some more hearty pain pills around, they would go in too, but.. I tend to take them when I get them, so they do not last long when listed "for emergencies"  :D You may have more self control than me.

Antibiotics would be okay I suppose, but... generally you need a full course to make them even useful. If the world goes to hell, I'll play drugstore cowboy as I travel before I'll carry a full course of antibiotics on me. Pain/anti-inflammatory pills, anti-diarrhea, and antihistamine is enough to cover daily life and some minor emergencies.
G

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 02:50:39 AM
You could try and carry bandaids in your wallet and different pills in a small pill case :)

I have a small rubbery type pill case that I carry all kinds of medicine in it's the type that you push the sides together to open and then it zip locks back together  :tu: and I think I even got that free from my local drug store as an advertisement for them :D

Plus as Mr. Whippy said duct tape fixes anything :D I have rolled up about 2 feet onto a business card and cut off the excess from the card and it also fits in my bill fold :cheers:

and 1 more thing are all those budgies beginning to freak anybody else out :ahhh they just keep staring at me :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:22:39 PM
Yes, budgies do seem to be everywhere ATM don't they.  >:(
I'm back!!

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 02:02:17 AM
Here check out this article on SOSAK

I found it pretty interesting. ;)

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=35

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 03:39:11 AM
good reading,  way over kill for me, but very good reading.  thanks for pointing that out!  i know my edc will be modified over time, but right now, its pretty basic but would work for most people out there
'

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 05:39:13 AM
Yes, budgies do seem to be everywhere ATM don't they.  >:(

::) :rofl: :b2t:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!